Olympics - Paris 2024

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is there a nicer tennis pro than Tommy Paul? Glad Carlos won but Tommy seems such a decent guy. Think he choked a bit which is a shame but small margins at the top.

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm a bit torn as to the decision the Italian boxer made to withdraw so quickly into the bout "I had to preserve my life as well in that moment.". She'd have been better off not fighting in protest imho. The Algerian's record is 9 losses in 50 fights so she's not exactly invincible against women.

The IOC is wrong to ignore previous tests without a doubt. Just not sure the Italian girl has gone about it the right way...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a tad confused at the women's boxing furore - they keep saying 'failed gender testing' because of high testosterone. But does that mean she used to be or still is a man and is a transexual? Or could it be like Caster Semenya who is biologically female but had some male DNA and chromosomes?

I find it a problem with articles on these sort of topics that the journalists beat around the bush at times because of the delicate nature of the subject and they don't want to upset anybody - but as a result we don't get all the facts and people end up reading it and believing different things.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I need to do some more reading on the boxing issue, if they are biologically female why can't they compete as normal? Isn't having a high level of testosterone a natural advantage, (assuming it's natural), in the same way as Michael Phelps long arms are, or Simone Biles ability to generate ground force is?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I need to do some more reading on the boxing issue, if they are biologically female why can't they compete as normal? Isn't having a high level of testosterone a natural advantage, (assuming it's natural), in the same way as Michael Phelps long arms are, or Simone Biles ability to generate ground force is?
That's what I mean. Because the reporting is so inconclusive it's hard to make your mind up about it. If they are biologically female (like Semenya) then I think they should be allowed to compete. If they are formerly men and have transitioned, then I think that would be grossly unfair.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This was not simply because of naturally high levels of testosterone but because they both have XY chromosomes. A simple cheek swab is usually enough to confirm this. Women have XX chromosomes. Their biology is male. Neither of these boxers are “trans”; they were probably born with what is called ‘Differences in Sexual Development’ (DSD) but what it means is that they have the strength and power of males because genetically that is what they are.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
This was not simply because of naturally high levels of testosterone but because they both have XY chromosomes. A simple cheek swab is usually enough to confirm this. Women have XX chromosomes. Their biology is male. Neither of these boxers are “trans”; they were probably born with what is called ‘Differences in Sexual Development’ (DSD) but what it means is that they have the strength and power of males because genetically that is what they are.
But if they are more female than male still, I figure they should be allowed to compete. As I said earlier, it was the same with Semenya.

RichA

Visit site
Isn't the fact that the Boxing Federations have banned them from Women's events sufficient ..?
Just been reading about it...
Khelif was disqualified by the IBA from their world championships last year.
But the IBA isn't actually recognised by the IOC as running amateur boxing because it's believed to be a criminal organisation.
So there isn't really anyone running international amateur boxing.
And the IOC don't seem to have quite decided what their rules are for the contentious stuff - other than gender is decided by what the competitor's passport says, not a DNA test.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But if they are more female than male still, I figure they should be allowed to compete. As I said earlier, it was the same with Semenya.
She/he doesn't go round punching people in the face .

Some of the weightlifters have been banned for the same reasons.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Can we get the USA tennis players disqualified as one of them isn’t wearing the official kit? Might be the only chance for Murray tonight