Olympics - Paris 2024

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Isn't the fact that the Boxing Federations have banned them from Women's events sufficient ..?
I think it's time a third category for all sport is created, so we can have gold medal Olympic and World champion men, women and whatever name they want to give them.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
The English guy sanctioned her/his ok to fight on the grounds that their passport says she is female. I renewed my passport a short while ago and don't remember having to prove any of the entries on it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Aren’t they both biological women , born women and been women all their lives but have issues with elevated testosterone and XY chromosomes as opposed to XX ?

In athletics I believe Semenya was eventually only allowed to run with drugs to reduced the testosterone levels ?

D-S

Visit site
The English guy sanctioned her/his ok to fight on the grounds that their passport says she is female. I renewed my passport a short while ago and don't remember having to prove any of the entries on it.
When you apply initially for your passport (not renew it) don’t you have to send or supply details of your birth certificate?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
When you apply initially for your passport (not renew it) don’t you have to send or supply details of your birth certificate?

I don't remember in England as I've had mine for over 50 years, but other countries may have different ways. I can't believe that a passport should be proof of gender

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just got in after being out earlier, to find my wife actually very upset about what happened to the Italian girl in the boxing…and furious that the IOC sanctioned the entry of Khelif in the women’s boxing. That upset is notwithstanding and not lessened by her knowing (if it is the case) that Khelif is not one who has transitioned to female from male.

D-S

Visit site
I don't remember in England as I've had mine for over 50 years, but other countries may have different ways. I can't believe that a passport should be proof of gender
Do you have another suggestion? if you accept that your passport reflects your birth certificate gender.

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
My passport has expired.
I'm not going anywhere, I'm afraid.

Flying has become too stressful.
It was much more pleasant 60 years ago than it is now.

The domestic ones are worse that the Trans-Atlantic,
but they're all pretty bad these days.

RichA

Visit site
Just got in after being out earlier, to find my wife actually very upset about what happened to the Italian girl in the boxing…and furious that the IOC sanctioned the entry of Khelif in the women’s boxing. That upset is notwithstanding and not lessened by her knowing (if it is the case) that Khelif is not one who has transitioned to female from male.
Maybe remind her that it's a "sport" where one of the principle objectives is to inflict a brain injury on your opponent. The Italian will have battered many opponents less naturally gifted than herself on her way to the Olympics.
It's not Khelif's fault she's different. There's no suggestion so far that her "condition" isn't natural.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe remind her that it's a "sport" where one of the principle objectives is to inflict a brain injury on your opponent. The Italian will have battered many opponents less naturally gifted than herself on her way to the Olympics.
It's not Khelif's fault she's different. There's no suggestion so far that her "condition" isn't natural.
This is true - except the sport does at least try to have fighters competing on a level playing field. And at an amateur level this is surely especially important.