Olympics - Paris 2024

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
How are people still confusing Gender with Sex? 🤦🏻‍♂️

Look it’s not difficult, sex is about biology, anatomy and chromosomes, I believe the boxer has a XY chromosome so she is biologically male. Gender is about identity. There is no science behind it at all.

Last edited:

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Shame Murray couldn't get the fairytale completed and to be fair he and Evans didn't play well but what a career

It was clear Andy had lost a heap of power. Dan is usually hyper but seemed even more so as clearly felt the pressure and so wanted them to succeed - probably more for Andy than him. Their communication was dodgy, at best, and Dan seemed to often forget or misinterpret the calls from Andy until he was saying out loud "you serve here, I go here". Then it would go wrong again and they'd end up on the same side of the court. So next serve there was more discussion and clarification and often Dan double faulted.

For all of that though - the two matches they won were very special moments. I was a with Claire Balding and blubbing a wee bit at the thought of saying goodbye and thanks for all he's given us.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was clear Andy had lost a heap of power. Dan is usually hyper but seemed even more so as clearly felt the pressure and so wanted them to succeed - probably more for Andy than him. Their communication was dodgy, at best, and Dan seemed to often forget or misinterpret the calls from Andy until he was saying out loud "you serve here, I go here". Then it would go wrong again and they'd end up on the same side of the court. So next serve there was more discussion and clarification and often Dan double faulted.

For all of that though - the two matches they won were very special moments. I was a with Claire Balding and blubbing a wee bit at the thought of saying goodbye and thanks for all he's given us.
Just seemed a game too far. Was watching the match in a pub and really enjoyed the tribute that followed

Swango1980

Visit site
Just put on BBC, and was confused as they were showing 2 teams of 3 in basketball, shooting into same net. Then I found out 3×3 basketball is also in the Olympics. I didn't even know that was a thing, except for in the playground and films like White Men Can't Jump.

If they do that, almost feels like loads of sports could be broken down to get more medals. Football, 3v3 into same net, neutral goalkeeper. Loads of different golf formats. Singles, doubles, Mixed, Stroke Play, Match Play, etc.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The BBC also keep suggesting that Murray could be GB's greatest ever sportsman.
Well, he's not ........................ he's not even close, but definitely in the top very few.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Well, he's not ........................ he's not even close, but definitely in the top very few.

A debate that can go on for years without a definitive answer

He is certainly up there with a lot of outstanding sportsmen and women from these shores

Swango1980

Visit site
They love getting sentimental like that, immediately after a well known sportsman retires, especially on a sport they are covering.

If Lewis Hamilton retired after a race this weekend, and they were covering the Grand Prix, they'd suddenly say same about him.

I'm sure when people like Kelly Holmes, Jessica Ennis, Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, etc all retired, they'd be suggesting they could be the best British sports person ever.

Sure, best tennis player in many generations. But they lose credibility when they go too far :)

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
A debate that can go on for years without a definitive answer

He is certainly up there with a lot of outstanding sportsmen and women from these shores

Not in my mind.

They love getting sentimental like that, immediately after a well known sportsman retires, especially on a sport they are covering.

If Lewis Hamilton retired after a race this weekend, and they were covering the Grand Prix, they'd suddenly say same about him.

I'm sure when people like Kelly Holmes, Jessica Ennis, Denise Lewis, Colin Jackson, etc all retired, they'd be suggesting they could be the best British sports person ever.

Sure, best tennis player in many generations. But they lose credibility when they go too far :)

None of those people even come close.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Merseyside's very own Maximillian Woosnam.

Scratch golfer.
147 in snooker.
144 not out against the MCC at Lords.
Played football for Man City, Chelsea and England.
Won a doubles title at Wimbledon.
Won an Olympic gold and silver on the same day!
Also a leading squash and table tennis player.
Beat Charlie Chaplin at table tennis using a butter knife.
Won a Gold at Bisley for shooting.

Any good?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

Scratch golfer.
147 in snooker.

Any good?

Also a long time ago when sport was very different

He won a few medals at doubles

There are people now who have won multiple golds at multiple events , across long periods , multiple world champions , a jockey who was champion jockey 20 years on the bounce and won every top jump race , the list is endless

But it won’t imo ever included someone form over 100 years ago

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Scratch golfer.
147 in snooker.

Any good?
Imagine if he'd tried!!!! Was Chaplin using his cane in the table tennis match?

Swango1980

Visit site

Scratch golfer.
147 in snooker.

Any good?
I'd put him above Andy Murray at least

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just put on BBC, and was confused as they were showing 2 teams of 3 in basketball, shooting into same net. Then I found out 3×3 basketball is also in the Olympics. I didn't even know that was a thing, except for in the playground and films like White Men Can't Jump.

If they do that, almost feels like loads of sports could be broken down to get more medals. Football, 3v3 into same net, neutral goalkeeper. Loads of different golf formats. Singles, doubles, Mixed, Stroke Play, Match Play, etc.
There's already about 50 cycling events to boost the GB medal count to be fair. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
As for Murray top GB sportsman - not even in the top five for me. I'm not going to compile a list but guys like Ronnie O'Sullivan & Joe Calzaghe spring to mind as being higher and that's only in my lifetime for a start.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
The BBC suggestion is heavily biased by the fact that tennis, for 2 weeks, is actually a sport they are able to show. It's a good pub discussion, and he might be in the top 10, but he isn't near the top of the pile.

Saying all that, he hasn't asked for this and in GB tennis it is him and Fred Perry out on their own.