NFL 2016 - new season

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't think that Eason lasted many more seasons after the mauling he took in Superbowl XX, think he was long gone by the time that Bledsoe & Brady ended up there. Still don't understand how he was one of the 5 QB's taken before Marino in the 83 QB draft (there is an interesting 30 for 30 documentary about that 1st round, focusing on Elway & Marino) - think he was considered a big reach at the time.
Saw the Monarchs a few times at Wembley, including World Bowl I - that's a long time ago now.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Don't think that Eason lasted many more seasons after the mauling he took in Superbowl XX, think he was long gone by the time that Bledsoe & Brady ended up there. Still don't understand how he was one of the 5 QB's taken before Marino in the 83 QB draft (there is an interesting 30 for 30 documentary about that 1st round, focusing on Elway & Marino) - think he was considered a big reach at the time.
Saw the Monarchs a few times at Wembley, including World Bowl I - that's a long time ago now.

Glad you liked the 30 for 30- I helped out with the production of that one on the 1983 draft! "From Elway to Marino".

The only real surprise of those six QBs taken in the 1983 first round was the Jets taking Ken O'Brien from Cal-Davis. Marino had a lot of question marks after his senior year at Pittsburgh and he wasn't exactly the smartest bear in the woods. Then again, nor were the teams that passed on him. Eason and Todd Blackledge were both seen as safer picks than Marino. Hindsight is 20-20.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
When I was writing for Gridiron, we always pushed the game as being really successful, lots of big plays, great performances etc. But of course in reality as Tashyboy says, it was crap. Just be grateful you never had to deal with Victor Ebubedike or "Victor X Mohammed" as he changed his name to. Big-time Charlie doesn't even do it justice. The NFL Europe players on the Monarchs all hated him with a passion.

Am sure I saw victor big balls in one of the UK finals on the all weather pitch at QPR.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
all this talk of QB`s who is or was the best ?
would Brady be the number one or Peyton Manning
is Marino in with a shout ,what about Steve Young or Joe Montana,maybe even someone from way back before i knew what the NFL was.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Glad you liked the 30 for 30- I helped out with the production of that one on the 1983 draft! "From Elway to Marino".

The only real surprise of those six QBs taken in the 1983 first round was the Jets taking Ken O'Brien from Cal-Davis. Marino had a lot of question marks after his senior year at Pittsburgh and he wasn't exactly the smartest bear in the woods. Then again, nor were the teams that passed on him. Eason and Todd Blackledge were both seen as safer picks than Marino. Hindsight is 20-20.

Have watched a lot of the 30 for 30 docs and most of them have been excellent - the 83 draft one was my fav though due to Marino being in it, congrats for all the work that went into that and all of the others.
Does seem that the teams take a lot of stock in the Wonderlic (think that's right) test that all college players have to do pre joining the NFL - think Eason & Blackledge both scored higher on it than Marino (as I know he scored very low on it). Having a low score didn't hurt him or Terry Bradshaw (particularly when you look at some of the high scorers that have failed dramatically in the pros), although I know that Marino's draft stock was damaged due to the unproven drug rumours that circled pre-draft.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
all this talk of QB`s who is or was the best ?
would Brady be the number one or Peyton Manning
is Marino in with a shout ,what about Steve Young or Joe Montana,maybe even someone from way back before i knew what the NFL was.

One of the hardest questions is to name the Top Five QBs - everyone has different answers.

My own personal five would be Joe Montana (winner), Tom Brady (winner), John Elway (best arm), Dan Marino (best pure passer), Otto Graham (10 championship games in 10 years).

Just outside the Top 10 would be the likes of Favre, Bradshaw, Manning (tough to leave out of the top five), Sammy Baugh and Dan Fouts.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
cant argue with three of your picks, i dont know Otto so cant really compare him to any i do know,i would have Peyton in for sure as with a better team in front of him would have been an all time great [not that he isnt anyway]i would also swap Elway for Favre.

Patster1969

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Definitely a hard question to answer that. Can't argue with Montana & Brady being up there - probably didn't have the physical gifts that others did but were able to dissect a defence and as you said, both were pure winners.

Marino will always be there due to the number of times he dragged the Fins up with not a lot of supporting talent - even if he just had a decent defence, probably would have won the big one (not to be).

Always felt Elway was over-rated myself - no idea why, as can't put my finger on it (jealous that he won two Super Bowls at the end of his career, when Denver got him a running game & a decent defence, which Dan never had).

Difficult to compare the modern day QB's with the older generation, as receivers would just get mugged by DB's and QB's weren't as protected, whereas now they get a flag if they breath on them, which is why I don't really feel that Manning or Favre get in my top 5 (certainly there is no way that they would have put up the numbers they did). Brady is different, as he's not a passer and has done more with less (although he is very protected as well - notwithstanding deflategate). Johnny Unitas would have to be up there.

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Brady got to play in 2001 when Bledsoe got hurt. It caused a lot of trouble amongst the team when Brady kept the job at mid-season when Drew was fit again. But I guess it turned out OK in the end. Steve Grogan retired at the end of the 1980s. He had been there for years and had a good career. I remember doing a piece on him for Gridiron UK magazine entitled "Grogan's Run". I even had a coat to get then too!

Grogan backed up Tony Eason in Super Bowl XX and came in during the 2nd quarter when Eason was 0 for 6 and about three sacks. The Pats kept on calling seven step drops and the Bears were just running riot. A friend of mine, Tyrone Keys, tells some great stories about the Patriot offensive line pleading on them to ease off the blitzes in the 2nd half as the game was over.

Remember it well Bledsoe was the top man for me plus he is a "drew" like me. As you say it didn't work out too badly in the end. Back in the 80's i used to follow Chelmsford Cherokee domestically, they used to get decent crowds there. One of my good friend's little brother ended up being quite decent at American Football on the UK scene - Stuart Franklin, i believe he was a QB and led teams to National Champs but i could be mistaken.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Every time a top-ranked high-scoring offense has gotten to the Super Bowl (02 Raiders, 83 Redskins, 67 Raiders etc), they have lost. Even the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf" was not ranked that highly (and they were shut down in both 1999 and 2001 anyway).

Bill Belichick has had two weeks to prepare for the Falcons' offense and I just cannot see them going up and down the field as they have done during the season. Offense wins games, defense wins championships. Look what the Bucs did to the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.

So my call is for the Patriots to win by 20+ something like 34-14. I would take the under on the 59 points line (the highest in Super Bowl history).

At least after Sunday I can look ahead to that great American phrase "pitchers and catchers report today" and the imminent arrival of the baseball season and spring.

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Every time a top-ranked high-scoring offense has gotten to the Super Bowl (02 Raiders, 83 Redskins, 67 Raiders etc), they have lost. Even the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf" was not ranked that highly (and they were shut down in both 1999 and 2001 anyway).

Bill Belichick has had two weeks to prepare for the Falcons' offense and I just cannot see them going up and down the field as they have done during the season. Offense wins games, defense wins championships. Look what the Bucs did to the Raiders in Super Bowl XXXVII.

So my call is for the Patriots to win by 20+ something like 34-14. I would take the under on the 59 points line (the highest in Super Bowl history).

At least after Sunday I can look ahead to that great American phrase "pitchers and catchers report today" and the imminent arrival of the baseball season and spring.
ah yes ,rounders season is soon to be upon us .cant say I know a lot about baseball ,apart from its a girls game over here.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Bill Belichick has had two weeks to prepare for the Falcons' offense and I just cannot see them going up and down the field as they have done during the season

I know next to nothing about NFL, but this ^^ is my opinion.

I've never seen anyone - in any sport - that is better at making plans to nullify the opposition than Belichick is.

Tashyboy

Visit site
well I shall be wearing my Patriots shirt with BRADY emblazoned on the back.:thup:

We shall be wearing our Pats shirts wi Brady on the back 😁

See if if anyone can put a clip up of Beckham junior dancing at the pro bowl. Quality

Tashyboy

Visit site
I know next to nothing about NFL, but this ^^ is my opinion.

I've never seen anyone - in any sport - that is better at making plans to nullify the opposition than Belichick is.

Someone is gonna educate me here, but on sky there is an hours programme of the Super Bowl winners of that year. Belicheck on one particular year got hold of the opponents victory parade before the game was played. How he reported that to the pats players was pure quality. That is how you get your team running through brick walls for you.