Neyfn golf club

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I fell in love with the idea of playing golf on a strip of land surrounded by the sea the first time I laid eyes on Nefyn from an aerial photo. I couldn't believe my luck when I was told I was to attend HID cousins wedding which was a stones throw away from the course. I booked in for 2pm and thought it would be a great way to clear the head after the night before.

We arrived early and was told to report back to the office at 1.20 and they would get me out. HID was going to head to the pub by the shore but decided to join me when I suggested a buggy. She was glad she did and I was glad of the company. It was only her second time watching me play. I hit a few balls at the range then made my tee time.

There is 27 holes and I was to play the new course 9 then nip over and play the old course 9.

First hole of the new is quite long and disappears over a hill. I ended up laying up as I didn't hit the best opening tee shot. Made bogey. The front 9 of the new isn't anything special. Some nice coastal views but the actual holes are not hard to play. The rough was basically non existent. I managed to nab to birdies and finish the front 9 one over.

At this point I could have left my GPS back in the car as the old course didn't seem to be mapped properly so I went back to old school golf. Pure guess work as there was a distinct lack of markers around.

I hammered through the front 9 with 3 four balls letting us pass right way but got backed up for the whole back 9. Waiting on every shot more or less. I was glad of the buggy to sit and chill and enjoy the views.

The old course starts with a short par 4 with the second shot completely blind up to a green 50 feet above you. I was told to club up 2 clubs. After pushing my first shot out of bounds and off the cliff I managed a miracle birdie with the second ball for a bogey.

A short par 3 follows then a slightly longer one right along the cliff edge. Both lovely holes.

Then comes a spectacular tee on the fourth. You must carry quite a bit or the Irish sea will take another victim. As I stood waiting for the fairway to clear I thiguth I would challenge myself so took myself down to the white tee box. It hadn't seen much action as the grass was quite long but the view is something else. Wind into face it is not for the faint hearted.

Next is a par three right at the end of the peninsula. You tee off a mat well above the green. There is a coast guard there but dont listen to him on clubbing. Take two less.

Dogleg left par 4 takes you back in. Not a long hole but just dont duck hook it.

Run of the mill par three next. Just make sure you don't duff it into the massive crater hole which you are advised not to attempt to retrieve and balls from. As if you could.

Short par five follows. Tight enough drive and the fairway feeds the ball down towards the cliff.

Final hole is a short driveable par 4. Well in reach for most with the prevailing wind at you back.

All in all I wasn't let down by nefyn. I had a smile on my face the whole way round. The scenery is worth the green fee alone. The course itself wasn't actually in perfect nick. I thought it would get plenty of water being where it is but it looked like it was starved a bit. Greens were slow bit I suppose that can change from day to day.

I heard somene describe the old as micky mouse. That is subjective. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I decided I wanted to play golf on a strip on land jutting put into the Irish sea. I thought they made real good use of the space. 4 par threes were essential with the limited room.

For £40 it was well worth the money. Next time I will play off the whites. It was just a bit too short to be a real challenge especially with the rough being none existent as I mentioned.

I will post some pics and a video.

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Re: Nefyn golf club

I played it many years ago. I remember that there are some rocky outcrops on parts of the course.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice review Gaz, I've never managed to get to Nefyn but believe its a cracker, as is Bull Bay just down the road. I believe the only thing about Nefyn is that there are a lot of public footpaths through the course and you have to be extra careful when playing. In Summer it can be very dangerous for the walkers !