Course protection.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Had an email from the course today. Thoughts appreciate.

Quote,
After much discussion we have taken the decision to rest the front 9 (holes 1 - 9) of the Course, Monday - Friday only, for the next 2 weeks starting this Monday 20th November. We will only be offering the back 9 (holes 10 - 18) & the Par 3 Course during this time - buggy users are still permitted on the Par 3 Course using paths only. All midweek comps will be played on the back 9 during this period.

The tee sheet will still show for 18 holes from tee No 1 BUT we are only offering 9 holes from tee No 10; should you wish to carry on to play the Par 3 Course you would need to also book a tee time on the Par 3 Course.

Weekend play will not be affected.

We will review this every 2 weeks going forward.

We really appreciate players who are able to carry their golf bags during this time - Thank you so much - removing a few clubs from your bag may enable more members to carry

The Pro Shop have re-stocked some lightweight carry bags too !

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm not a member anywhere but after all the rain I think that's a decent idea, especially if the course doesn't drain well. Think an issue will be that the back 9 will take a lot of play during that fortnight. Will they close the back 9 in 2 weeks time?

Captain_Black.

Visit site
I don't know your course, but I doubt this decision wasn't taken lightly.
If the course needs a rest, it's probably the right decision.
I played a few holes today & in places my course is in a terrible state & probably shouldn't be open at all.
The rain has been non stop & the rough is out of control.
They can't help the rain, but they haven't helped themselves by not cutting the rough when the could have & now they can't.
I lost balls on the fairway today, if it goes in the rough, its gone for good.
Frustrating & unlikely to get better anytime soon

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If it's needed it's needed....it's a pain for sure but...
The course is the Club's prime asset and must be protected to ensure playability during the normal season.
If that's what they think is necessary then I'd bow to their greater knowledge.

We had an email circulated last week advising us of winter restrictions such as when trolley bans would come in, trolley parks on some holes, keep trolleys out of roped areas, yellow lines around greens and off fringes and approaches...

It's become very clear that the best way to hide anything is to email it to golf club members because nobody is paying any attention to it.....even though it happens every year.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Without trying to distract from the original question I really can't understand members getting upset at courses being closed atm. The amount of rain we've had is ridiculous. Surely closing and protecting the course now is better in the long run? Seen a few courses saying their closed and members really complaining.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I could play a round of golf with 4 clubs and still get enjoyment from it, so yes, if you can walk round a golf course then you can probably carry except in more exceptional circumstances.

Both the courses myself and the youth play at have introduced short par 3's on holes that are usually par 4's - the tees are located near cart paths so there is very little need to walk on the grass until you are up near the hole - it's sensible, it makes the round safer, and it provides course protection while still enabling people to get out and play some holes.

I've no issue with it personally, winter golf means making compromises - and I'm happy enough to make a few.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’d far rather be a member at a club where proactive steps are taken to protect the course following/during inclement weather than one where course conditions are neglected.

My view of that would be that you can still play golf but, more importantly, the attitude of the club may rub off on those who play there. If the club respect the course and do their best to enable their members to play, then just maybe the members will respect the course.

There are lots of closures round these parts at the moment. Fortunately our place rarely closes but, as I post here every winter, we pay the price in spring when we’re way behind other courses condition wise.

Tashyboy

Visit site
Re our place, the folk Ave heard complaining are asking if the course needs protecting, why is it only being protected midweek if it is that bad. Why is the weekend not affected.
What I find odd is the worst two holes on the course are the 11th and 12th, both hilly. I saw a PP ( Tricky Trev) go over with a bag on his back going from the 12th green to 13th tee on Tuesday. From a safety point of view the back nine is worse than the front. Watch this space

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If this rain continues we'll be lucky to see our back nine before April, the front nine isn't seeing much action either but with the amount of rain we're having the club can't really be blamed, and it's not as if we are alone.

What I would say is that having played 10 holes last Friday, the course was in incredible condition, wet but not much mud or wear. Then there wouldn't be, you need footfall and trolleys to create wear.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have something similar in place at the moment - partly because of bunker work on a couple of hole and partly because of the weather and some of the lower lying holes suffering. Currently 9 holes in play but you start at 5, then play 7,8,9,10,11,12,16 and finish on 18. Due to the layout of the course, this flows better than it sounds and there isn’t too much walking between holes - except to the 18th tee. 5 is also right by the clubhouse so no long walk to the start.

Tashyboy

Visit site
We have something similar in place at the moment - partly because of bunker work on a couple of hole and partly because of the weather and some of the lower lying holes suffering. Currently 9 holes in play but you start at 5, then play 7,8,9,10,11,12,16 and finish on 18. Due to the layout of the course, this flows better than it sounds and there isn’t too much walking between holes - except to the 18th tee. 5 is also right by the clubhouse so no long walk to the start.
Neilds is that seven days a week or midweekers 👍

ThinBullet

Visit site
It's annoying, but necessary. I'd rather compete well in a season medal on a good course, than one that had suffered extensive damage in the winter just to keep a few folk happy.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
seems like a good idea.

my course would certinaly benefit from being closed for a days but no doubt people would still go out and play

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Years ago we used to have trolley bans for course protection but not for those with a medical certificate to show the need, back then it was probably only 1 in 20 players that had an electric trolley.
Now virtually every player has an electric trolley but we have stopped having trolley bans.

We used to have no buggy bans but only had 3 players with one of the big two seater 4 wheelers and about 5 with a single seater one. Now we have a fleet of buggies to hire we have frequent buggy bans. We do have a buggy route but sadly far too many ignore it hence the bans being brought in more often than previous years.

As a buggy user my games have been snatched here and there as best I can.

Our 9 hole course has been closed for weeks finally reopened yesterday, closed today.

nickh

Visit site
I love these proactive, which are often unliked, approaches to course management in periods of poor weather/winter.

I think there should be even more emphasis and onus placed on playing individuals to look after their asset; it boils my p1$$ when I see members not repairing pitch mark, divots, bunkers, or dragging trolleys through areas of the course which are clearly very wet (just because it hasn't been roped off it doesn't mean you should....).

The same people are too quick to bemoan the course committees or the green keeping staff, but if the players don't give a toss, why should anyone else?

..N

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sounds very sensible
I’m with Nickh,too many golfers treat the course with a lack of respect, not repairing pitch marks or replacing divots.
I suspect it absolutely destroys the ground staff as it seems such a thankless task.
I know at my course they are working extremely hard just getting the course open.
Seeing it abused and I can honestly say that from what I’m seeing (obviously not by all) i would love for one 9 to be rested to allow them to get it back to a really good condition.
Saying that how long would it take to go back to a poor condition.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've no problem with my course being shut this time of year, it's about protecting it and ensuring that come March/April time it's in the best possible condition.

As mentioned above, far too many members at my place don't repair divots or pitch marks as it is, this time of year it's even worse.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The same members who complain about closures will be the ones complaining that the course is a mess, who are the same people who will play 18 then come in and say the course should have been closed.

I call them morons.