Course protection.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
As others have said we used to have a trolley ban in the winter and many members just carried a half set when playing.

The EG desire to have a 12 month season conflicts with this as the want competition and GP rounds to be played all year round.

Personally I think taking holes out of play to protect the course will have the effect of extending the playing season as they won't need to recover so much from winter use. However, I can see the members (particularly 5 day members) would not be impressed.

sjw

Visit site
Had an email from the course today. Thoughts appreciate.

Quote,
After much discussion we have taken the decision to rest the front 9 (holes 1 - 9) of the Course, Monday - Friday only, for the next 2 weeks starting this Monday 20th November. We will only be offering the back 9 (holes 10 - 18) & the Par 3 Course during this time - buggy users are still permitted on the Par 3 Course using paths only. All midweek comps will be played on the back 9 during this period.

The tee sheet will still show for 18 holes from tee No 1 BUT we are only offering 9 holes from tee No 10; should you wish to carry on to play the Par 3 Course you would need to also book a tee time on the Par 3 Course.

Weekend play will not be affected.

We will review this every 2 weeks going forward.

We really appreciate players who are able to carry their golf bags during this time - Thank you so much - removing a few clubs from your bag may enable more members to carry

The Pro Shop have re-stocked some lightweight carry bags too !
Not sure what you're expecting us to comment on, really

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Not sure what you're expecting us to comment on, really
Peoples thoughts and opinions.👍
As has been mentioned some Courses have similar reductions in place. Some have everyone playing just nine holes or similar.Ours doesn’t.
As an update I sent an email to our secretary giving him mine and others thoughts. He collared me on the putting green before todays round. He commented that we all had trolleys and it was wrong and that we should all carry. The 70 yr old guy at the side of me was not impressed and told him so. My 67 yr old pp said the club pro said his 2 replacement hips and I knee replacement stops him from carrying. Half of the lads could not carry.
We actually had a good constructive discussion of which some of my feedback came from opinions off here.
One of the guys mentioned on Tuesday that one of the worst holes SI 3 up hill dogleg right is a mud bath 150yds from the tee. He said “ why not put a winter tee at the bottom of the slope at the side of the path so no one walks through the mud bath fairway”. Guess what is being installed tomorrow. A winter tee at the bottom of the mud bath fairway.
Ironically there used to be one there before I joined 8 yrs ago but was removed.
Feedback and advice does bear fruit without it turning into an arguement.👍

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Average members views on course openings and closes.

Closed....... that is crazy, we have played in much worse than that.
Open .....members club., that is crazy greenkeeoer is an idiot
Open propriety club.... they are mad just thinking about the money.
You would think in this day and age with so much mental health issues people would just be happy to be out the house and playing golf,having a walk and a chat with friends.
Unfortunately some people just make it more of a challenge with their constant moaning.

sjw

Visit site
Peoples thoughts and opinions.👍
As has been mentioned some Courses have similar reductions in place. Some have everyone playing just nine holes or similar.Ours doesn’t.
As an update I sent an email to our secretary giving him mine and others thoughts. He collared me on the putting green before todays round. He commented that we all had trolleys and it was wrong and that we should all carry. The 70 yr old guy at the side of me was not impressed and told him so. My 67 yr old pp said the club pro said his 2 replacement hips and I knee replacement stops him from carrying. Half of the lads could not carry.
We actually had a good constructive discussion of which some of my feedback came from opinions off here.
One of the guys mentioned on Tuesday that one of the worst holes SI 3 up hill dogleg right is a mud bath 150yds from the tee. He said “ why not put a winter tee at the bottom of the slope at the side of the path so no one walks through the mud bath fairway”. Guess what is being installed tomorrow. A winter tee at the bottom of the mud bath fairway.
Ironically there used to be one there before I joined 8 yrs ago but was removed.
Feedback and advice does bear fruit without it turning into an arguement.👍
On what? So the course has restrictions. Lots do. The weather has been bad.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
Given the rain this year I’m not surprised. Our course opened the top 9 on both our course last weekend. It was wet and there fairway were long as they couldn’t get the cutters out. We’ve never done this but I’m surprised we’re not carry only and potentially mats.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
For the people in the North East and as a barometer, Sharpley is closed. Everything except the links are and have been since Friday, but if Sharpley is closed then you know it is wet.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Is the first LIV or the WHS discussion? Which one of those gets pushed back? 🤣
I never go anywhere near the LIV thread, 3 people making the same point over and over. And, I don't frequent the WHS thread much either, a different 3 people making the same point over and over, and 1 trying to turn it into a LIV thread.

My favourite topics are the equipment ones.