Whites v Yellow

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't mind playing from the whites, the course isn't all that long. My suggestions in the past have been more to just do something different, especially during the winter when it's muddy and cold anyway. A couple of months ago I purposely kind of forced a 3 out of 4 to count in the rollup (almost always 2 of 4)......the complaining was outstanding and hasn't been repeated. We have really short blue tees (for juniors?)....just for a laugh I think we should play from them at least once....why not?

As mentioned by HampshireHog above, they removed our whites last year during the winter. The ball just doesn't go anywhere during the mucky time of the year....but if they did have the whites, there would be plenty of people who insisted on hitting from them....just because it's the whites.
We went onto mats on all tees last winter, so I think whites and yellows became one and the same on most holes anyway. On most holes the mats are shorter than the normal white tees, longer than some of the yellows - but on the 1st the mat is much longer than all tees and turns it into a 190-odd yard par 3 to start your round. :confused:

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
6639 whites
6344 yellow

Par 71

Crazy the drop off in birdies the field makes when we play whites rather than yellows.

YandaB

Visit site
Our whites are more than 6800 and the overall difference is a little over 470 for us. One hole is just 6 yards between the markers, another almost 60 yards, 3 are 30 something and the rest are all 20 something. Almost half the tees share a large teeing area so plenty of space to rotate the actual tee markers, the others are still pretty large thankfully. Even so, we still tend to take the white markers in over the winter.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Most of our swindles are played off the white but we decided that once a month we would also go off the whites but would also play different formats as well
To be fair, at 6k yds, your course isn't particularly long so it isn't too controversial to always choose whites. Good to mix up the formats though. I wish we would do that in the winter but as @Mandofred finds, golfers don't like change . Keeps things fresh.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
6521 off the whites
6158 off the yellows

We don't use the blue tees aside from the odd scramble or team event - thank god.. 😂

scorecards.png

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
600 yards. Members can play off the back tees whenever they like.
In winter when mats are on, they remove the white tees. Great idea as it speeds rounds up when the days are shorter.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
284 yards difference

The par 4 14th is 48 yards longer, otherwise the vast majority of differences are between 13 and 18 yards

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours only 300 yards different
On several holes there is less than 10 yards difference, one hole has the same length.
On the majority of holes the whites cannot be put back any further due to hole design and available land.
On some holes the tees are wide enough to change the direction of play.

Hence there being only 1.4 shots difference in the course rating.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Blacks 6061 , 126 , 69.4
Whites 5961 , 124 , 68.8
Yellow 5680 , 120 , 67.6

My best scores are on the blacks , no scores on yellow, main competitions and GP is off white ..

5 holes in excess of 405 yards and a par 5 of 541yards
No raised tees
Traps in the fairway at 220-240 which are 1.7m( 5-6ft deep)
Narrow fairways
Small up turned saucer greens

So on paper the course looks short but reality is another story.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There are several par 3's at mine with a big difference (1st and 17th) and they can be card wreckers off the whites but are more benign off the yellows. If you can play the par 3's well off the whites you are usually going to have a good round as they are the main defence for low scores

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
250 yard par 3 ?!? Elevated tee?

No, if anything it's maybe a foot or two uphill, and generally into the prevailing wind - it's a big green, but totally protected by bunkers, so it's all carry. It plays as a par 4 in reality and on the rare occasions we do play those tee's, very few people actually get it to the green.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
We went onto mats on all tees last winter, so I think whites and yellows became one and the same on most holes anyway. On most holes the mats are shorter than the normal white tees, longer than some of the yellows - but on the 1st the mat is much longer than all tees and turns it into a 190-odd yard par 3 to start your round. :confused:
You forgot to mention how well protected the green is, with bunkers all across the front and big trees either side. I think it's one of the most intimidating opening holes I know.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You forgot to mention how well protected the green is, with bunkers all across the front and big trees either side. I think it's one of the most intimidating opening holes I know.
Yeah that mat position is crazy. Hard enough hole throughout the year when you need a 170+ carry to hit the green. Off that mat in winter, when it's cold and breezy, I've had to hit driver plenty of times. I really don't know why they put it so far back.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Our first hole is 429 yards dogleg to the right with OOB all down the left. Usually into a SW wind. It is SI 7 on the card, but comes out as SI 1 on stats most of the time.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No, if anything it's maybe a foot or two uphill, and generally into the prevailing wind - it's a big green, but totally protected by bunkers, so it's all carry. It plays as a par 4 in reality and on the rare occasions we do play those tee's, very few people actually get it to the green.
This type of stuff winds me up, it’s partly because we have got to this state where youngsters can thrash the ball this far.
It would have always been a driveable par 4 previously .. it still could be, but to do so I would change the green size and manipulate the levels to penalise low angle of descents .. I would also narrow the entrance to the green or even force a full carry to the green.
Or I would just pull the tee box back to the 200 yard distance.. we shouldn’t stop good short hitting golfers from scoring. The game is currently being degraded by distance… and this is making rounds slow, creating physical injury and taking the skill of shot shaping and long iron play out of the game.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
This type of stuff winds me up, it’s partly because we have got to this state where youngsters can thrash the ball this far.
It would have always been a driveable par 4 previously .. it still could be, but to do so I would change the green size and manipulate the levels to penalise low angle of descents .. I would also narrow the entrance to the green or even force a full carry to the green.
Or I would just pull the tee box back to the 200 yard distance.. we shouldn’t stop good short hitting golfers from scoring. The game is currently being degraded by distance… and this is making rounds slow, creating physical injury and taking the skill of shot shaping and long iron play out of the game.

I take your point but as I said, we rarely play that tee - once or twice a year and then it’s normally a scramble. Off the white tees it’s a 5 wood for me on most days, and there are some members who will lay up and chip over tje bunkers.
Better players than me hit mid to long irons - so the hole tests everybody of varying abilities.

The 8th is actually more difficult to score on - again, it’s not short at 190 but is at least a club uphill, with a very challenging green.
If i bogeyed all the par 3’s in each round, I wouldn’t be particularly disappointed

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
259 yards of difference between White and Yellow at my course.

Whites are still only 5562 in its entirety too, not a long course at all.

No significant changes on any hole other than a different angle to 18 (which frankly should be made into a long par 3 anyway)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No surprise some don’t want to lose a couple of shots to play GP rounds off a marginally shorter yellow course and would prefer the whites. Would seem crazy to do otherwise… only to find the whites are ‘locked’ for comps

Does anyone think when course is rated there should be a minimum difference (yards or %) between sets of tees, so there isn’t two near identical courses ? If not able to make that minimum, then it doesn’t get rated/don’t have X numbers of tee options