Which tee what hcap.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I know back years ago when par was based upon pure yardage 3 of the holes where I play became par 5 off the whites v par 4 off the yellows with not a great deal of difference in the actual yardage or difficulty. With most of the rest of the course there is not a great deal of difference in difficulty between white and yellows.

On one of those holes it definitely takes a fairway bunker out of play and on another it takes a a group of tees out of play for the drives. However with the WHS the holes have the same par but there is a 1.4 difference in CR (white being higher).
And slope? What is slope of the 2 sets of tees?
FWIW, CR ignores Par, calculating it's own value for any hole (to at least 1 dec place).

Last edited:

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know back years ago when par was based upon pure yardage 3 of the holes where I play became par 5 off the whites v par 4 off the yellows with not a great deal of difference in the actual yardage or difficulty. With most of the rest of the course there is not a great deal of difference in difficulty between white and yellows.

On one of those holes it definitely takes a fairway bunker out of play and on another it takes a a group of tees out of play for the drives. However with the WHS the holes have the same par but there is a 1.4 difference in CR (white being higher).

Par is nothing to do with difficulty per se (CR & Slope). Par is simply the sum of the pars of the individual holes. Some years ago CONGU reassigned the range of lengths assigned to denote the hole par. At some clubs hole pars were changed to match the new ranges but the holes themselves were not shortened or lengthened.
Prior to WHS the course would have had an SSS. About 10 years ago the old rating system was changed to the USGA rating system which produced the CR (and as it happens Slope)
CONGU simply continued to call the integer value of the CR the SSS. Slope was never published except in a few clubs on the US tourist trail.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
And slope? What is slope of the 2 sets of tees?
FWIW, CR ignores Par, calculating it's own value for any hole (to at least 1 dec place).

My comment was mainly in reference to yours about the longer tees taking certain course features out of range.

There is not a lot of difference in the slope 124 v 128 and my H.I. of 9.9 I am off the same CH regardless of which tee.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Par is nothing to do with difficulty per se (CR & Slope). Par is simply the sum of the pars of the individual holes. Some years ago CONGU reassigned the range of lengths assigned to denote the hole par. At some clubs hole pars were changed to match the new ranges but the holes themselves were not shortened or lengthened.
Prior to WHS the course would have had an SSS. About 10 years ago the old rating system was changed to the USGA rating system which produced the CR (and as it happens Slope)
CONGU simply continued to call the integer value of the CR the SSS. Slope was never published except in a few clubs on the US tourist trail.

I was mainly referring to Foxholers comments about taking certain features out of range,

I am aware of the change around 30 years ago when a course could set their own pars based upon the difficulty of the hole as well as length and not just the length which is what I was talking about. Prior to the change we had one hole where the yellows were further back than the whites so it was a 5 off yellows and a 4 off whites when the change came in the moved the yellow markers and it became 5 off both ( a par 4 off both now).