Giving up golf

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was pondering what to write and how to phrase it whilst playing golf today and many of the points I have thought of have been made above.

It's obviously a decision that only you can make and maybe golf is no longer for you.

But in terms of no longer being able to cut the mustard purely because of age I would say this is unlikely, you could yet play to a higher standard than you have previously played. Not certainly but certainly possible.
I am a little older than you and although I play to a lower standard , it is still the best I have been, I feel I still have room for improvement and I play with several low single digit handicappers in their 60's and 70's. An in law's father was playing scratch until his mid- late 70's.

The reason why you are losing distance may well be age related but if you are not doing gym/speed work there is no reason why you should not get back at least a reasonable amount of that distance with some strength ,speed and mobility work. Much of this is also the work that will give you a greater enjoyment of life and probably be beneficial for your health as you age but you will have the added benefit of having a measurable purpose for incentivising you in your club head speed. Though it may also allow you to enjoy better health with your kids/grandkids.

I may be wrong but the reason you are hitting more complete duffs than previously is unlikely to be due to age, it's rather more likely to be due to the fact you are only playing 20 times a year and some of those possibly in a negative frame of mind, as an old bloke I'm actually duffing it less than I used to although my good shots go less far than perhaps they once did.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I think I recall you (OP) posting your thoughts on this a few years ago. I could relate to much of it, think many of us like that feeling that improvement is attainable even if reality it mostly stays just out of reach. It made me reflect, a lot of the proper seniors seem to really enjoy their golf.
Then covid times - for me I found playing therapeutic even if not playing great.
Several golfers also seem to improve once they retire and commit more time to the game.
Do you also tend to play a bit later in the day? In my previous club I liked to play with different people most weeks and it generally worked but did sometimes mess up when plans changed and not being in the right messaging group. Current club I have fallen into more regular games but tee times are easier to secure. If you are considering resurrecting forum invites I could make the 8th 😉😁 - never quite made it before.
As others have said, maybe a break when not renewing is sensible and see if you miss it at some point.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I did a post on my round in Mauritius with Slab. I played like a legendary western. Good bad and the ugly. That summed up my round. That was how the golf went. However everything else was fantastic. The company the course, just talking rammel with Slab. Having a good old rattle with him in the 19th. Recharging my batteries. Not to forget the physical and mental well being it contributes towards.
If you do pack in there’s a lot to do to fill in the golf hole.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a shame when anyone starts to wain, but it happens yo us all.

down to enjoyment to, if you still enjoy it keep going, but I've known guys who just gave up because they could no longer play to their expectation.

Please stick around though your knowledge of shafts is very welcome

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
I feel your pain. I have just rejoined our place after coming within an inch of going social. But herself urged me to rejoin as she said I'd miss the craic and my mates. She is of course bang-on correct.

So for that reason alone I think it's worth considering what you might miss. And let's face it, being still under 60 says to me you still have plenty of decent golf left in you. Even if the edge isn't quite as sharp as the younger you had.

If someone said to me I would almost have packed in this year five years ago I would have told them to get a grip. But...

May 2021 I had a round where I putted badly. Two days later I had a similar round and thought: "I really hope I don't develop the yips." I promptly developed them and they have been torturing me almost every round since. Approach putts and lay-ups still OK. Problem is the lay-ups are no longer lay-ups. Sure, they're still the same kind of length as they used to be, but now I wouldn't give me anything less than a couple of inches in match play. And even then I'd think about telling myself: "Maybe I'll just see that one in."

Ironically, I have never hit the ball better in all other areas of the game. And doubly ironic - until that fateful day, putting was by far and away the strongest area of my game.

More often than not I end up beating myself up during the round as great approaches for birdie see me walking off with a par or worse. But when we're back in the clubhouse having a beer I realise I'm not trying to earn my living at golf and that a lot worse things could happen to me than missing an 18-inch putt.

My advice, for what it's worth, would be to play for another year and see what it brings.

DCB

Visit site
Don't do it Ethan, maybe give up the membership for now, but, don't give up all together. I had to give up back in 2014, never a week goes by where I don't think "if only I could play one more round" I miss it terribly.

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
Don't do it Ethan, maybe give up the membership for now, but, don't give up all together. I had to give up back in 2014, never a week goes by where I don't think "if only I could play one more round" I miss it terribly.
Did you give up completely dab, I thought from the mizuno forum (may it rest in peace) that you worked your way back?

best
trojan

Trojan615

Head Pro
Visit site
I felt something similar OP, played a lot as a junior and wanted to work in the game, eventually time and reality combined with new kids in my late 40`s meant no time to play. I relinquished my membership and hung the clubs up 18 months ago at a 7 handicap in a very decent club at Brocket hall.

I didn’t miss the game or even think about it as I had other priorities. But a strange quirk opened an opportunity of a lifetime if I could play at my old level… so I need to get the clubs dusted off!