Why can't I hit a blind tee shot?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just thinking about one of the shots that ruined my round on Sunday, and other rounds before it. Our par 3 third is a blind shot off the whites. Only around 140 give-or-take depending on where the pin is, slightly uphill. I can't hit a decent shot on it though. I don't know what the problem is, but when I can't see where I'm hitting it to my head goes out the window. This time was worse than ever, a full on duff that went about 40 yards into the crap - had to tee it up again - ended up with a triple bogey 6. Other shots in the past have featured weak hooks or slices that get nowhere near the green. One of the biggest greens on the course as well and I still can't hit the thing. In the winter, the mat was positioned about 20 yards longer, but on a different angle over near the yellow tee where you can actually see the green - even hitting hybrid I did much better than I do with a short iron off the whites.

It might be similar to the problem I've had on driving ranges before, when there's no clear target in mind and my swing goes to pot and I start hitting shanks. It's as if without being able to focus on target I start thinking about what I'm doing too much and it goes wrong - but I'm not consciously doing that?? This last time I tried to tell myself just hit a nice smooth swing, and that evidently didn't work. In Stableford comps it's particularly annoying as it's stroke 16! How do I get over this??

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a friend who was almost completely unable to make any sort of tee shot on a particular hole. I suggested to him a mental tip I had used with some success. Try to visualise in your mind the easiest, least intimidating tee shot on the course and imagine you are just going to play that tee shot. It works for me and it certainly worked for him.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I consciously keep my head down for longer when I am hitting the ball on a blind shot. That stops me coming up on it, looking for the ball. Really force yourself to keep looking at the grass where your ball is and was. It helps me.

Buckles01

Visit site
Sometimes I use the ignorance is bliss technique in this situation. I actively try to zone out and take all awareness of a bad shot out of my mind and focus on a specific target, be it a tree or landmark in the distance. Couple of holes where I play have blind shots from the tee which I’ve had history with in the past. Just focus on decent contact with minimal swing thoughts, keep my head down and prey hard while the ball is in flight.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I'd be trying to pick out a tree or something behind the green. Ignoring the distance to it, just having a point to aim at and then trusting the yardage. If theres noting behind the ball, then find a lighter or darker spot of grass short the green and use that as the aim point.
Let's face it, even on a downhill par 3 where you can see everything, how often do you put it to 3 foot?
Get an aim point and settle for a long putt.

RichA

Visit site
Similar but different situation last night which I tackled in a similar way to LT...
Longish par 4 into the low sun. I knew I wouldn't be able to see where the bell went, so I didn't even try. Picked my line, set up and just concentrated on a quality strike. Hit the ball, picked up my tee and walked off the tee box without even casting a glance in the direction of the shot.
It felt very weird - completely wrong. Found the ball exactly where I'd aimed it, which almost never happens.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe its just down to shot commitment

I'm way more likely to screw up a shot with a blind landing area than any other, especially if its a longer shot. Its usually because I didn't relax and fully commit to the shot

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Do you have a pre shot routine that you can rely on?
Yes and no... never really been sure on this. I do the same thing on every shot so you could say it's a routine of sorts, but it's not a manufactured 'pre-shot routine' I don't think. It's just what came naturally to me - getting the line from behind the ball, then move forward, lining up to something in front of the ball that's on the line I picked - one practise swing to get a feel for it, and then address the ball and hit it. Some would call it a pre-shot routine and some wouldn't, probably.

Sometimes I use the ignorance is bliss technique in this situation. I actively try to zone out and take all awareness of a bad shot out of my mind and focus on a specific target, be it a tree or landmark in the distance. Couple of holes where I play have blind shots from the tee which I’ve had history with in the past. Just focus on decent contact with minimal swing thoughts, keep my head down and prey hard while the ball is in flight.
This is what I try to do, and there is an aiming post at the top of the ridge to give you the line to the green, but beyond the back of the green it's just a wall of trees where it's impossible to pick one out.

I'd be trying to pick out a tree or something behind the green. Ignoring the distance to it, just having a point to aim at and then trusting the yardage. If theres noting behind the ball, then find a lighter or darker spot of grass short the green and use that as the aim point.
Let's face it, even on a downhill par 3 where you can see everything, how often do you put it to 3 foot?
Get an aim point and settle for a long putt.
Christ I'm not asking for 3 foot, just not missing the green by 40 yards would be nice. :LOL:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Maybe its just down to shot commitment

I'm way more likely to screw up a shot with a blind landing area than any other, especially if its a longer shot. Its usually because I didn't relax and fully commit to the shot
That certainly sounds right. I know it's in my head for sure. Hard to commit when you can't see where you're going. Not even really feeling sure I have the right club even though I've GPS'ed it, and noted where the pin is before I've walked over to the tee. I never know if it's a 7, 8 or 9 most weeks. Well it certainly wasn't a bloody 9 on Sunday so I'll rule that out. :LOL:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That certainly sounds right. I know it's in my head for sure. Hard to commit when you can't see where you're going. Not even really feeling sure I have the right club even though I've GPS'ed it, and noted where the pin is before I've walked over to the tee. I never know if it's a 7, 8 or 9 most weeks. Well it certainly wasn't a bloody 9 on Sunday so I'll rule that out. :LOL:

Yeah we've a par 5 where all three shots are blind landing zones, and its so easy to ease up just a smidge off the swing speed and results in a 'strong fade' :eek: all because the brain says a bit slower is a bit safer, when its really not at all:sneaky:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Pick a target you can see, then you don’t have to worry about the one you can’t.

Forgot about where the flag is. You know where the middle of the green is, so pick a target either directly behind the green or an intermediate target.

Every shot I play is to a target no more than a couple of ft in front of my ball. It’s easier (for me) to get lined up that way.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have you ever tried watching from behind someone as they tee off? Not directly behind obviously but near enough. On the basis they’ve hit a good shot - Watch the ball flight. Then when you’d stand over the ball just replay that image in your mind. It might be that your body recreates the flight desired. Worth a shot!

D

Deleted member 3432

Pick a target close to you or in the far distance and commit to it. No different to any other shot on the course really.

Make your target very specific, I reckon you aren't focused enough on target aim more of a somewhere in that kind of direction aimer.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Have a playing lesson with the Pro, and include that hole. You can go discuss yardage, club selection, routines, thought processes and physical swing. Sorted.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tried focussing on a particular bit of tree as my 'target' on the 3rd today. Took 8 iron. Massive hook, missed the green by about 40 yards. At least I made decent contact this time I suppose.

The tee markers were positioned so far right that even the black & white alignment post was actually obscured by trees/bushes from the right. Really weird choice to put the markers there.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If that’s not working there’s another trick where you visualise rugby goalposts on the ridge you’re aiming over and try to score through the posts. Worth a punt - pun intended ?

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Tried focussing on a particular bit of tree as my 'target' on the 3rd today. Took 8 iron. Massive hook, missed the green by about 40 yards. At least I made decent contact this time I suppose.

The tee markers were positioned so far right that even the black & white alignment post was actually obscured by trees/bushes from the right. Really weird choice to put the markers there.
What idiot suggested focusing on a tree or part of one, ffs??! ??

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Pick a target you can see, then you don’t have to worry about the one you can’t.

Forgot about where the flag is. You know where the middle of the green is, so pick a target either directly behind the green or an intermediate target.

Every shot I play is to a target no more than a couple of ft in front of my ball. It’s easier (for me) to get lined up that way.

This is what i do now and It helps me (It takes away a swing thought)

Harley-D

Visit site
I know that hole but as a visitor i always played off the yellow, where you can see the pin. However, my sense is that its not whether it is blind or not it is more likely that the trepidation on that t, on that hole has got hold of your mind. I have two par threes that i regularly screw up. When i find the answer i will let you know.