Not that I'm complaining but...

RichA

Visit site
I was really struggling with chipping recently. By chance watched a YT video of Tommy Fleetwood trying to teach Rick Shiels to chip. I've been following his advice since then with minimal duffage and thinnage.

Reactions: LIG

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can never understand why players are happy to have lots of lessons on hitting the ball straighter and further but not pitching chipping and putting.
Total up the number of chips+ pitches + putts and you will see that these (for a beginner or high handicapper) total more than the total of all the other shots .

Hacked

Visit site
I can never understand why players are happy to have lots of lessons on hitting the ball straighter and further but not pitching chipping and putting.
Total up the number of chips+ pitches + putts and you will see that these (for a beginner or high handicapper) total more than the total of all the other shots .
I would assume this is due to the fact that once you are off the tee and a reasonable distance down a hole the ego is a lot more satisfied than hitting 2 9 irons the same distance. The former probably feels a lot more like “golf.”

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
That's very kind of you.
But don't tell Smiffy, he thinks I'm a knob;)
Takes one to know one!! :LOL:
Or knobs of a feather, stick together!:ROFLMAO:

After my first session with the V-Easy, I can see the chips rolling the way they should be. Gives me hope for the putting too !

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Re. the putting, you rarely miss much left to right. Most putts are missed due to being long or short. A tip I've used is to have a few practice putts while looking at the hole, then do the same swing at the ball. Seems to work for the longer putts.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
As has been mentioned already, distance control is very important.
The problems happen when you have 3 sources of power to control.
1. Shoulder rock
2. Wrist hinge
3. Hip turn

The idea of the V-Easy is to stop the wrists from hinging.
Then get someone to stand behind you while you're practicing and get them to hold your hips still.
That eliminates 2 and 3 power sources.

Now all you have to do is vary the length of the backswing in the putting stroke to vary how far the ball rolls.....short putt, short swing...longer putt, longer swing etc.
And finally
Try and remember.......it's a putting STROKE, not a putting hit.
Always try and stroke the putt, never hit it.

steadyon

Hacker
Visit site
Well, I ought to preface this by saying my HI is 19.6, but falling😂😂😂

What I do is take 3 practise shots. Starting with too short, then a little longer, then third one about what I’m planning.

Then address the ball and do something not at all related to what I just did without the ball😂😂😂. Hence the 19.6!

Albo

Visit site
Practice short game more than long game!
Practice within 3ft continuously, get used to the ball rolling in the hole the sound the feel of holling putt after putt.
That then takes pressure off your lag putting, you know you can hole from 3ft so 4ft, 5ft feels more and more comfortable, then stood over long putts your mindset it much more relaxed as you know you can hole from close ish so you no longer worry about lagging dead. That in turn flows up through the bag, chip shots are no longer as fearful as you know on the green is your happy place, so chipping has less pressure, which goes back to iron shots, no longer is there pressure to hit greens as your chipping is now in much better shape as is your putting so up and down way more likely, and then back to driver, you don’t need to hit every fairway as you are comfortable with your irons:
So yes, practice short putts and take pressure off all through the bag