Hcap system - I don`t get it .

wjemather

Visit site
Can you define when a review is ‘deemed necessary’? Also who deems it?
Any player may request a review of their, or any other player's, index at any time. If unsure whether it's appropriate/necessary, they should consult their handicap secretary, who will advise.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Actually, thinking about it, you are manipulating by NOT putting in cards.
You are not manipulating by not putting in cards unless you have preregistered a round or it is a competitive round. There is no requirement to put in social rounds there is an option to do so.
Personally I don't, I really cannot be bothered.

Swango1980

Visit site
You are not manipulating by not putting in cards unless you have preregistered a round or it is a competitive round. There is no requirement to put in social rounds there is an option to do so.
Personally I don't, I really cannot be bothered.
I believe his thinking was that, by simply playing golf but deciding not to do so for handicap, some might consider that manipulation simply by the fact you are choosing not to have anything go onto your handicap record.

Again, demonstrates the subjectivity of what an individual defines as manipulation. Obviously, there is 0% chance the player is cheating in this situation, as it is perfectly acceptable to not submit scores (unless, as you said, they were somehow pre-registering and then finding a way to not submit score)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Put in all your casual cards. That is how the system is designed. If good scores are dropping off and you can't replace them, then the system is working.
Unfortunately due to our historical way of playing, folks are not doing that in any great numbers, just about the only ones at my home club doing it are folks who've never had a handciap before.

Folks out for a bounce game don't generally want to play by strict rules, they'll just drop a ball if they've lost one etc.

It will take a generation for this outlook to change, if it ever does

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
Put in all your casual cards. That is how the system is designed. If good scores are dropping off and you can't replace them, then the system is working.
Presumably the system is designed on the assumption that submitted scores are from rounds where (a) the rules of golf have been observed, and (b) the player has tried to make their best overall score.

As others have pointed out, typical social games in Britain aren't like that:
- We routinely have gimmes when playing social strokeplay
- If you're playing bits then you might deliberately go in a bunker (not the percentage play when trying for your best score)
- Matchplay tactics are not conducive to making your best score

Quite frankly the only time I focus on making my best possible score is during a singles strokeplay competition. So those are the only cards I put in.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Submitting cards as manipulating? Err…no. I played a medal on Sunday. I played rubbish. I lost my lowest differential, and as a result my HI went up by 0.5, and so in the Seniors Club Champs (Nett) tomorrow’s I get an additional shot.

It was a medal so automatically qualified, but could just as easily have been the card for the informal/Rollup Saturday round the previous day had I registered it beforehand. Manipulating? I don’t think so. Of course were I to go for some time NOT be submitting any cards or entering qualifying comps I might well be accused of manipulating my handicap - either way - up or down.

That I might put in a rubbish card in general doesn’t stop me registering a round and doesn’t make me try any the harder than had I not registered it. If it’s rubbish I simply chuck it over the fence into the pool of twenty and it sinks to the bottom hopefully never to be seen again - and so I can forget about it. If it’s good I‘m glad…it may well count. And that’s a good thing.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
According to the usga, you are not playing a round of golf. It took me a time to realize the terminology they used, " a round" was important.
I don't get that at all. :(
I don't think it means anything. It is just the language they choose to use in the context of the way they operate their handicapping system in the US. Large swathes of the rest of the world allow golf played outside organised competitions to be conducted socially - with no score recorded/required for handicap purposes.