Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
White 6805
Yellow 6305.

500 yards difference 😳

Edit to say 500 yards and the difference is 3 shots 😳

sunshine

Visit site
Interesting gripes about tough par 3s. In my experience they tend to be hard par / easy bogey, so I just level set my expectations.

At my course the par 3s are SI 15-18, but no way are they the four easiest holes, and it would be a mistake to assume that because I don’t get shots on any of them I should make par.

On the PGA Tour the par 3s nearly always play the hardest relative to par every week.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
This type of stuff winds me up, it’s partly because we have got to this state where youngsters can thrash the ball this far.
It would have always been a driveable par 4 previously .. it still could be, but to do so I would change the green size and manipulate the levels to penalise low angle of descents .. I would also narrow the entrance to the green or even force a full carry to the green.
Or I would just pull the tee box back to the 200 yard distance.. we shouldn’t stop good short hitting golfers from scoring. The game is currently being degraded by distance… and this is making rounds slow, creating physical injury and taking the skill of shot shaping and long iron play out of the game.

You sound ready to move to the dark side, I can fix you up with a vintage set for less than the price of a new wedge. :)

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
250yds difference.
The big difference for me is off the whites I can’t reach most bunkers.
Off the yellows the bunkers are in reach but I get one less shot.
So I play the whites if possible.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
You sound ready to move to the dark side, I can fix you up with a vintage set for less than the price of a new wedge. :)

Maybe I should request permission to play off the blue tees with the 1970's Slazenger 'prototypes'....

If I broke 90 off the blues with my current set up, I'd be reasonably content - would be interesting to see how I'd cope with clubs from 50 years back..

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
We had 600 yards extra and the par is the same.

Your yellow course sounds harder than the white.
It’s actually easier. 21 in the fuddle today and 42 points won it with 4 players in 40’s. A lot of players s print above 36. Me, 32 with 4 blobs 😖

D-S

Visit site
I think it’s interesting the people who think that the yellows at their course are more difficult because they bring bunkers and other obstacles into play.
So if they got a new driver that hit the ball consistently 30 yards further or they gained an extra 10 mile an hour club speed they would somehow find their existing tees they play at their course more difficult?
Doesn’t this view fly in the face of the ‘distance is king’ argument?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We have so few fairway bunkers on the course that apart from the par 3s there is only one bunker that comes into play for me from any tee and it's reachable from both tees.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think it’s interesting the people who think that the yellows at their course are more difficult because they bring bunkers and other obstacles into play.
So if they got a new driver that hit the ball consistently 30 yards further or they gained an extra 10 mile an hour club speed they would somehow find their existing tees they play at their course more difficult?
Doesn’t this view fly in the face of the ‘distance is king’ argument?
It isn't just the bunkers though. It's possible to drive too far through dog legs and it also brings ditches across several holes into play so it simply asks different questions. I like it in as much as two long par 3's are no longer driver but I can hit a hybrid or even a 6 iron in drier conditions and I am usually hitting shorter clubs into the greens. It's just losing the 2 shots I am not a fan off

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No surprise some don’t want to lose a couple of shots to play GP rounds off a marginally shorter yellow course and would prefer the whites. Would seem crazy to do otherwise… only to find the whites are ‘locked’ for comps

Does anyone think when course is rated there should be a minimum difference (yards or %) between sets of tees, so there isn’t two near identical courses ? If not able to make that minimum, then it doesn’t get rated/don’t have X numbers of tee options

This gets taken care of in the course rating. Our course has only a 1.4 difference between the two.

Mind you for me I find it is around 3 shots.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It isn't just the bunkers though. It's possible to drive too far through dog legs and it also brings ditches across several holes into play so it simply asks different questions. I like it in as much as two long par 3's are no longer driver but I can hit a hybrid or even a 6 iron in drier conditions and I am usually hitting shorter clubs into the greens. It's just losing the 2 shots I am not a fan off
Driving through a dog leg or into a ditch is poor course management.. it’s like taking a driver on a 110yard par 3 and saying it’s too close .. ?

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Driving through a dog leg or into a ditch is poor course management.. it’s like taking a driver on a 110yard par 3 and saying it’s too close .. ?
He isn't actually saying he is hitting into them just that they then come into play.

I don't think getting into trouble is always poor course management either, sometimes you get hard kicks bad bounces etc which bring things into play which are not normally in play with the club you've played. If the far end of a dog leg is at the 99th centile of the length you hit whereas being short and cut out is at the 10th centile you may well have played the right club and been unlucky that's golf.