New best current player never to have won a major

U

User62651

Now DJ has won the USOpen who inherits the unwanted title of best player never to have won a major. I need current players on the main tours, not seniors like Monty.

For me its Westwood or Garcia, both big occassion bottlers on/around the greens but still excellent players.

stokie_93

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Now DJ has won the USOpen who inherits the unwanted title of best player never to have won a major. I need current players on the main tours, not seniors like Monty.

For me its Westwood or Garcia, both big occassion bottlers on/around the greens but still excellent players.

gotta be Sergio, never seen a guy that good win so little!

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It doesn't seem like he's been around a long time, but if I had to back a non major winner for the remaining 2 this year I'd take Branden Grace.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's got to be Westwood for me, he's played something like 70 odd majors been 2nd 5 times and 3rd 5 times or something.
There was a stat list came up at the weekend and some of the big name players had played a phenomenal amount of majors before they won one, mickleson had played about 45 or something before he won.
How many has Sergio played?

D

Deleted member 15344

Best players never to win a major still playing and challenging

Westwood
Garcia
Fowler
Stenson
Donald

But wouldn't call any of them "bottlers"

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Best players never to win a major still playing and challenging

Westwood
Garcia
Fowler
Stenson
Donald

But wouldn't call any of them "bottlers"

Garcia... biggest bottler in golf, he even admired as much. Westwood, its not good enough to just be a ball striker.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Westwood by a mile. 42 Tour wins below all over the world. Needs 2 points in Hazeltine to join Sir Nick Faldo as all time leading Ryder Cup points scorer.
PGA Tour - 2
European Tour - 23 (T-8th all time)
Japan Golf Tour - 4
Asian Tour - 9
Sunshine Tour - 3
PGA Tour of Australasia - 1

D

Deleted member 15344

Garcia... biggest bottler in golf, he even admired as much. Westwood, its not good enough to just be a ball striker.

Both of them have records that far out strip a number of past major winners - they have the credentials to back them up.

You don't become world number one and have as many wins and RC Points to "just be a ball striker"

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Both of them have records that far out strip a number of past major winners - they have the credentials to back them up.

You don't become world number one and have as many wins and RC Points to "just be a ball striker"

You would think not... but that's what happened.

2 PGA wins... everything else is warm up.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Officially the best player right now to have never won a major is the world no 6 Rickie Fowler, he's the highest ranked player on the OWGR with no major victories.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think both Westwood and Garcia have proven that they bottle it when it comes to the Majors.

Both had had numerous chances to win with another one yesterday and have never managed to close it out. The Majors are a different beast to regular events and the exhibition Ryder Cup and unfortunately Lee and Sergio are just not mentally tough enough to win.
However you do get the feeling that if they both could have won one in their earlier years they would multiple Majors by now.