Who is now the best player yet to win a major?

Who is now the best player yet to win a major?

• Xander Schauffele

Votes: 25 45.5%
  • Patrick Cantlay

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Tony Finau

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Tyrrell Hatton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tommy Fleetwood

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • Sungjae Im

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • AN Other

Votes: 11 20.0%

• Total voters

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Difficult to argue against Casey. I think Westwoods time has passed, but Casey still has a few good years in him and seems to be getting more consistent of late.

Fleetwood is decent and has done a good job of marketing himself. But is not a consistent top 10 finisher. If he wasn't English most of us would struggle to remember who he is. Hatton I fear will go the same way without the hair.

Fowler isn't in the same class as Schauffele or Cantley. He had a good run a few years ago but has always been a bit fragile.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Big Tony

Just ask @davemc1 ?

My view is that it can't be Finau on the basis that he hasn't won enough regular events. Being able to win is a crucial part of being a top player, it doesn't just happen. I'm not sure who the current best player not to have won a major is, but a criteria for me would be someone that has won a number of other large events with a full strength field.

Based on rankings, I guess I'd have to say Schauffele at the moment.

tugglesf239

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My view is that it can't be Finau on the basis that he hasn't won enough regular events. Being able to win is a crucial part of being a top player, it doesn't just happen. I'm not sure who the current best player not to have won a major is, but a criteria for me would be someone that has won a number of other large events with a full strength field.

Based on rankings, I guess I'd have to say Schauffele at the moment.

To be honest bud I don’t really have an opinion on who’s best (other than it’s maybe Lee Westwood, for so the reasons everyone already knows)

However this thread was a great opportunity to rip Davy La for his unflinching and commercially inept support for big T ?

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
To be honest bud I don’t really have an opinion on who’s best (other than it’s maybe Lee Westwood, for so the reasons everyone already knows)

However this thread was a great opportunity to rip Davy La for his unflinching and commercially inept support for big T ?

You and I both know it’s gonna happen! So when he wins the senior open in 2054, it’ll be you sporting plenty of egg on your face

sunshine

Visit site
I'm going to go with Marc Leishman. He's been in contention at the Open and Masters on multiple occasions, has won big events, and seems to be one of those players who can raise their game for the majors.

I'd love Lee to win a major. The way his game came together in March this year with two strong performances shows he has the class to compete against a strong US field. But ultimately the fact he finished 2nd in the Arnold Palmer and 2nd in the Players told me he probably isn't going to get over the line at a major.

Casey is a good shout as someone who has shown a lot of consistency down the years and won big tournaments.

wjemather

Visit site
All time? Still Colin Montgomerie, and unlikely to ever be anyone else.
Of those still in with a chance? Same as it was before Rahm's win - Lee Westwood, followed by Paul Casey.

None of the choices given have done anywhere near enough over a period of time to say they should have won one.

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm surprised people are voting for Fleetwood. Lovely iron striker, but seems to have a real bottler's mentality. How many times has he actually been in proper contention for a major?? It's always two great rounds and one stinker with him.

Fleetwood came second in the last Open and was second in the 2018 US Open

Bottler ? His final round 63 in the US Open to nearly take it from Koepka was outstanding and showed a heck of a lot of bottle

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fleetwood came second in the last Open and was second in the 2018 US Open

Bottler ? His final round 63 in the US Open to nearly take it from Koepka was outstanding and showed a heck of a lot of bottle
So he scored 63 on the final day and it still wasn't enough? Sounds like he wasn't really in contention then. Already bottled it on an earlier day. ?

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
All time? Still Colin Montgomerie, and unlikely to ever be anyone else.
Of those still in with a chance? Same as it was before Rahm's win - Lee Westwood, followed by Paul Casey.

None of the choices given have done anywhere near enough over a period of time to say they should have won one.
I'd still have Westwood before Monty.
Monty never won on the PGA Tour. Yes he won the European OoM but couldn't quite on the biggest stage.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Schauffele is, in my opinion, the next Rickie Fowler, except with fewer advertising gigs. No major for him. The odd PGA Tour event, but I think there is something missing in his game.

He just seems a bit too nice. I'd like to see him a bit more angry after another putt slips bye.

Bit more fire in the belly. A certain amount of that can focus a player imo.