Best player not to win a major - yet?

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wouldn't be a new day without a new thread from moi - Wish I could change my forum ID to threadstarter :D

But any old how...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who, in your view, is the best player not to have won a Major yet? Only one per poster please, as there are quite a few candidates naturally. I've had a long ponder on this but ultimately...

I've never been a massive fan of Monty because of his bad temper when things haven't gone his way over the years, but for me with 8 his European Orders of Merit and 5 Runner-up finishes in Majors he's pretty hard to look past.

Last edited:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
It wouldn't be a new day without a new thread from moi - Wish I could change my forum ID to threadstarter :D

But any old how...

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Who, in your view, is the best player not to have won a Major yet? Only one per poster please, as there are quite a few candidates naturally. I've had a long ponder on this but ultimately for me...

I've never been a massive fan of Monty because of his bad temper when things haven't gone his way over the years, but for me with 8 his European Orders of Merit and 5 Runner-up finishes in Majors is pretty hard to look past.

By saying YET, that would lead me to choose someone still with a chance of winning one.

For me its, Sergio Garcia

G

guest100718

Luke Donald, Lee Westwood, Sergio to name a few

Gregg Norman should have won more

Scotty Cameron

Head Pro
Visit site
Have to agree with your choice, in his heyday he was as good as anybody, problem was he didn't have the bottle to finish the job in the big games.
Also Sergio should have at least won one and not just because of the collapse on the 17th a couple of years ago, albeit not a major, he had his chance at the Open as well when Paddy won it after leading the field for three days.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Luke Donald - I think the chance has gone for Westwood and Garcia. Had Donald stuck with his old swing I think he would have won one by now but he has time to go back and put it right. If I was American I would probably say Rickie Fowler.

Remove the Yet from the question and I would say a toss up between Garcia and Montgomery.

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Right now at this moment, I'd go for Henrik Stenson, Sergio has bottled his chance far too many times, same as Westwood, Stenson has a better chance to win won before most others out there

I think anyway!

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A good measure is how many top10s they have had in majors without crossing the line.

Sergio with 19 and Westwood on 17 are miles ahead of everyone, even Monty 'only' had 10.

Of the new crop of players I would say Ricky Fowler, Dustin Johnson and Jason Day are great players worthy of a major one day, hopefully they dont go the Sergio/Westwood route.