New best current player never to have won a major

D

Deleted member 15344

Lets say your Jordan Spieth, its Sunday of a Major and the only people who can realistically win it based on the score board are you (Jordan), Lee and Sergio.... What are you thinking?
I'm not really sure what the connection is with that question and what i posted in regards judging people's careers ?

G

guest100718

Yep Garcia is the biggest bottler thats for sure, and as everyone loves to tell us, its all about the majors.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
It'd be interesting to hear the pro's answers on this...
The one time major winners and the so called Major under achievers.

Personally, in their position, I'd like to be the best golfer I possibly could be regardless of the stature of the wins. So I'd go with the careers of Westwood & Garcia.

To be fair though it is a close call. A flash in the pan Open win would still be a great memory when its time to finally put the clubs away.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lets say your Jordan Spieth, its Sunday of a Major and the only people who can realistically win it based on the score board are you (Jordan), Lee and Sergio.... What are you thinking?

I wish it was Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis in contention rather than these pair of top class seasoned pros

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
One major means nothing in terms of defining "greatness" of a player or career. It's a fantastic achievement personally for the player but on it's own means very little.....recognition of a great week and right place right time. The great players will usually win quite a few. One thing though is that when any player is continually challenging without winning one it becomes a big monkey on his back and adds massive pressure the way the media always build it up. Hard enough to win without all that IMO. Montgomerie was a classic example. Mickelson was one who managed to shake it off but at one point it looked like he would never win a major. After winning his first at 33 he went on to win 4 more proving what a great player he was all along. Fowler is getting into the same category but I think he will come good and win several too. Probably too late for Sergio/Westwood. I'd like to see them win though if only to put the cap on two brilliant careers.

U

User62651

OK, some good shouts but opinion seems to favour, so are we agreed, Ricky Fowler is officially TBPNTHWAM ?

D

Deleted member 21258

I think it would be westwood for me. Had so many chances, sad really as such a great player and has won so many other times and almost out of time now, as you get older it is harder to win.

Fowler would be the youngest player to have never won, but should have plenty of time to do that.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
OK, some good shouts but opinion seems to favour, so are we agreed, Ricky Fowler is officially TBPNTHWAM ?

Yes, on world rankings which are based on performance over a 2 year period so IMO officially it's him. Based on career performances I'd agree its potentially someone like Westwood, Garcia, Striker etc.

U

User62651

Yes, on world rankings which are based on performance over a 2 year period so IMO officially it's him. Based on career performances I'd agree its potentially someone like Westwood, Garcia, Striker etc.

Interested why some folks think Steve Stricker is up there, he won nothing much until his early 40's when he had a good run down to being Speith-esque with the short and mid range putts and little else, he's another one (like Kenny perry) who benefitted greatly from technology advancements, especially to the ball, to allow him to hit further and more importantly straighter so compete late on in career by stellar putting alone (9 of his 12 PGA titles in his 40s)?

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
It will be interesting to see who the PGA Championship puts in its annual 'Best players to never win a major' grouping for the first 2 rounds. 2 of last years trio have won since (Day and DJ) so 2 spots going alongside Rickie. I don't think they will look 'backwards' to Sergio or Lee - so possibly Grace and Matsuyama? Maybe Koepka as he is a fairly big draw. Any other thoughts?

D

Deleted member 1147

Interested why some folks think Steve Stricker is up there, he won nothing much until his early 40's when he had a good run down to being Speith-esque with the short and mid range putts and little else, he's another one (like Kenny perry) who benefitted greatly from technology advancements, especially to the ball, to allow him to hit further and more importantly straighter so compete late on in career by stellar putting alone (9 of his 12 PGA titles in his 40s)?

As you state, he has won 12 times on the PGA tour, probably top of the list of current players without a major. As such, he could be said to be the most successful player on the PGA tour to have never won a major.

lobthewedge

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Top 10 finishes in Majors.

Sergio - 21 from 71 starts
Westwood - 18 from 73 starts
Stricker - 12 from 65 starts
Stenson - 9 from 41 starts
Donald - 8 from 51 starts
Fowler - 6 from 26 starts

From this I would have to say Sergio.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You would think not... but that's what happened.

2 PGA wins... everything else is warm up.

thats absolute horse sh!t, he barely played in the states in his prime.

I'd also like to add that westwood had a poor year last year, but was 4th in strokes gained putting on the PGA tour.

Being a good ball striker can be enough - look at Rory!

To say you'd rather win one major than all the events Westwood has won (not to mention getting to world no1) is crazy

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
thats absolute horse sh!t, he barely played in the states in his prime.

I'd also like to add that westwood had a poor year last year, but was 4th in strokes gained putting on the PGA tour.

Being a good ball striker can be enough - look at Rory!

To say you'd rather win one major than all the events Westwood has won (not to mention getting to world no1) is crazy

Ohhh, you really care, enough to use bad language, don't cry. I am just giving my opinion, there is no right answer and I don't make the rules up. However I do stick to what i said. All the other events are just warm up events to the Majors. The fields for the events he won might have been rubbish. Once you win a major people dont say "here comes Lee Westwoon X times PGA winner" they say "here comes Major Winner Lee Westwood".... You get me.

I would think not just me, I guess Westwood would swap all his other wins and money for a Major.

Lol "he barely played in the states in his prime." tells you everything!

Also... "in his prime" if that has passed he is not eligible for this post.

Last edited:

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
What that he wanted his family to grow up in the UK? moving the states ended his marriage.

I very much doubt he would trade everything for one major.

All good, family/children are what we are on the planet for, it just meant he had to play in a lessor championship.

Jates12

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
All good, family/children are what we are on the planet for, it just meant he had to play in a lessor championship.

Alex has someone hacked your account as your spelling/grammar is usually better than your previous couple of posts.

Anyway, I agree that Winning Majors is the pinnacle for golfers but if you look at other sports would footballers trade league winners medals for champions league winners medals? Probably not. Same with regular tour victories.

Best player without a major is Rickie Fowler IMO.