New best current player never to have won a major

sev112

Tour Winner
Visit site
There is only 1 player (I think) still regularly playing the tour, and the majors who has been world number 1 who hasn't got a major, and that is Luke, so he gets my vote.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Has to be either Garcia or Westwood. Can't see either getting it done now. Not sure without googling but don't think Donald's major record is that good so I'm not surprised he's not won one or ever seemed to feature (or at least as regularly as the likes of Westwood) on the last day

351DRIVER

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Westwood and Sergio have been top golfers for a long time, i have never expected them to win, Lees dodgy putting is just too much of a handicap and i remember Tiger putting Garcia in his place and thinking, that guy aint ever going to win

U

User62651

Has to be either Garcia or Westwood. Can't see either getting it done now. Not sure without googling but don't think Donald's major record is that good so I'm not surprised he's not won one or ever seemed to feature (or at least as regularly as the likes of Westwood) on the last day
Agree, only one I can remember featuring Donald as a genuine contender was a USPGA when he went out last with Tiger and rolled over like a wimp, was really rooting for him and he was really poor on the day, bottled it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Agree, only one I can remember featuring Donald as a genuine contender was a USPGA when he went out last with Tiger and rolled over like a wimp, was really rooting for him and he was really poor on the day, bottled it.

Donald has a nice habit of going out early on a sunday and shooting a good score, cementing his spot in the top 10. He was in the final group when Rose won the US Open i believe...

S

Snelly

Best current player not to have won a major has got to be Westwood or Garcia.

Best NEW current player - Matt Fitzpatrick.

D

Deleted member 1147

Donald has a nice habit of going out early on a sunday and shooting a good score, cementing his spot in the top 10. He was in the final group when Rose won the US Open i believe...

I think he played with Rose in the penultimate group

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

The usual, non processed comment then Homer.... these are in your mind "the best current players to never have won a Major" yet you don't think they can get it done now.... Talk me through that?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
The usual, non processed comment then Homer.... these are in your mind "the best current players to never have won a Major" yet you don't think they can get it done now.... Talk me through that?

Homer is never convinced about anyone or anything but is absolutely adamant he will get to single figures,baffling isn't it.

U

User62651

Had to resurrect this thread, sorry! Needs updated clearly!;)

So CURRENT best player not to have won a major? :swing:

Obviously Garcia has broken his duck so he's out, I dont agree Westwood or Lowry should be considered now, both have gone back since last summer. Luke Donald seems long gone too.

So who has it? Rickie Fowler? Paul Casey has a shout too? Matsuyama is world no.4 but has been under the radar - maybe too soon? Even Thomas Pieters - is he on the move to possibly inherit this title soon?

For me Rickie Fowler it is.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
bit early to be putting Pieters on this thread, one stunning performance on debut at the masters to finish 4th hardly warrants it!!!!!

monty/westwood the 2 for me, fowler the next to be added albeit personally think he will win one in the next few years

edit, see you edited to current, Westwood for me still currently

U

User62651

Yes current only please - anyone still playing on a main tour, Monty was but isn't now. There will be some borderline older players, perhaps someone like Jimenez or Stricker would have been in 2 or 3 years ago but have now slipped off 'current'.

D

Deleted member 15344

Interesting reading looking back through the thread - especially the bottle comments

Still Fowler as the best player to not win a major

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Personally, I'd set a criteria as someone having played at least 20,30 or even 40 majors, as they would have had approx. 5-8 years at it, if they didn't miss many.