New best current player never to have won a major

U

User62651

Does anyone think at 43, that Westwood even cares about his legacy in golf or not having won any majors? He makes and has made a fortune, living a lifestyle the rest of us can only dream of and has felt that 'contending on round 4 back 9 at a major' feeling so many times. Just thinking if it was me I'd be pretty happy with his achievements in life. Looks happy enough to me but hitting 80 in round 4 can't be easy as your playing partner tears it up for victory. There have been a lot of one hit wonders winning majors down the years, does anyone really remember Ben Curtis, Rich Beem or Todd Hamilton anymore?

D

Deleted member 1147

Does anyone think at 43, that Westwood even cares about his legacy in golf or not having won any majors? He makes and has made a fortune, living a lifestyle the rest of us can only dream of and has felt that 'contending on round 4 back 9 at a major' feeling so many times. Just thinking if it was me I'd be pretty happy with his achievements in life. Looks happy enough to me but hitting 80 in round 4 can't be easy as your playing partner tears it up for victory. There have been a lot of one hit wonders winning majors down the years, does anyone really remember Ben Curtis, Rich Beem or Todd Hamilton anymore?

Would you rather have had the careers of Garcia, Westwood, Montgomerie, Doug Sanders, Steve Stricker or Bob Tway, Rich Beem, Todd Hamilton, or Ben Curtis?

Too much is put on the importance of Majors in my opinion.

If Landry had won this week would that automatically have made him a player who has had a better career than Lee, Sergio & Monty?

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Would you rather have had the careers of Garcia, Westwood, Montgomerie, Doug Sanders, Steve Stricker or Bob Tway, Rich Beem, Todd Hamilton, or Ben Curtis?

If Landry had won this week would that automatically have made him a player who has had a better career than Lee, Sergio & Monty?

I see what your saying James but I bet you Montgomery would love one now because he gets stick all the time and I bet secretly it kills him.

I would go for Fitzpatrick[look at the title] I believe he will win the Masters very very soon.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yep

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
LP - Overall career then Garcia & Westwood win over Hamilton but golf is a game where the big trophies matter. If you had a gathering of players and Major winners, as per The Masters, got changed in a different room then Garcia & Westwood would be in professional pain turning right instead of left. I'm sure they would give up some of that cash for one major win. It elevates you as a player, it immortalises you in golfing terms.

D

Deleted member 1147

I see what your saying James but I bet you Montgomery would love one now because he gets stick all the time and I bet secretly it kills him.

I would go for Fitzpatrick[look at the title] I believe he will win the Masters very very soon.

I can agree that if two players have the same sort of numbers in their careers but one has majors and the other doesn't it is a good way of separating them. But too many one hit wonders have diluted their importance for me. When comparing with consistently top players who don't have a major win.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
LP - Overall career then Garcia & Westwood win over Hamilton but golf is a game where the big trophies matter. If you had a gathering of players and Major winners, as per The Masters, got changed in a different room then Garcia & Westwood would be in professional pain turning right instead of left. I'm sure they would give up some of that cash for one major win. It elevates you as a player, it immortalises you in golfing terms.

Of course they would for that one major victory but anyone who thinks these guys have had worse careers than the likes of Beem, Glover, Hamilton etc is way off.

D

Deleted member 15344

That would be my reading of it and in the case of both Garcia and Westwood I can think of more than 40 million reasons there's is better.

$$$$

The money is a massive reason but even without that for me all those wins and RC's and year on year being in the spotlight , being in the worlds top 10 for a number of years and being at the top of their game for over 15 years - they have both had stellar careers in the game and will both be remember as two of the best golfers Europe has seen. People struggle to even remember Hamiltons name.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The money is a massive reason but even without that for me all those wins and RC's and year on year being in the spotlight , being in the worlds top 10 for a number of years and being at the top of their game for over 15 years - they have both had stellar careers in the game and will both be remember as two of the best golfers Europe has seen. People struggle to even remember Hamiltons name.

The reason they have the money is the results you highlight.

D

Deleted member 18588

Their careers remind me of a certain football club.

Constantly qualifying for Champions' League but never winning the big trophies.;)

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry just to confirm -

Do you think Hamilton has had a better career in golf than both Garcia and Westwood because of one major win ?

Yes, a Major is where it is at, it is the currency of success in golf, everything else is foreplay. Danny Willett > Westwood too, hes a Major winner! Can you get it done on the day(4 days) 4 times a year?! If your a professional golfer and you don't win a Major you feel short of your goal. You may have had some wonderful spoils but on the sporting side you fell short.

Green Man

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I wonder if Westwood and Garcia would give up all they have achieved in the Ryder Cup for a Major win? I doubt they would ever admit to it but I bet they would if they were being honest.

As regards the earlier point Westwood/Garcia/Monty have obviously had great careers but a Major just caps it off. Whenever anyone talks of how good Monty was there always a BUT.

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
I wonder if Westwood and Garcia would give up all they have achieved in the Ryder Cup for a Major win? I doubt they would ever admit to it but I bet they would if they were being honest.

As regards the earlier point Westwood/Garcia/Monty have obviously had great careers but a Major just caps it off. Whenever anyone talks of how good Monty was there always a BUT.

All the money too. Cant take it with you but you can tell your grand kids how your a Major winner.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Yes, a Major is where it is at, it is the currency of success in golf, everything else is foreplay. Danny Willett > Westwood too, hes a Major winner! Can you get it done on the day(4 days) 4 times a year?! If your a professional golfer and you don't win a Major you feel short of your goal. You may have had some wonderful spoils but on the sporting side you fell short.

The Willett comparison isn't a fair one to make as he (hopefully) has the prime decade of his career only just starting, and should go onto compete in many more and possibly add another couple, so you're projecting the future into that comparison.

The Hamilton/Beem comparison and question posed by LP is very good - these are guys who happened to play the best week of their life in a major week. Over the course of their careers, in my opinion, Westwood and Garcia are far out in front of the one week wonders.

Wining a major certainly adds a lot of weight in judging a golfer, but it shouldnt be the be all and end all.

D

Deleted member 15344

They just need to read the engraving on The Claret Jug if they ever forget.

Because people can regualry check that out

Majors are the pinnacle in golf just like grand slams but they shouldn't ever define a players career

Plenty of players have had stellar careers without winning a major - winning the major would be the crowning glory no doubt but not the only limitation on what is a great career.

People don't remember players like Hamilton because beyond the Open he did nothing else - same with a few other major winners but players like Garcia will be remembered - because his career has stood the test of time - 18 years after bursting on the seem he is still challenging for the top , still winning titles and still in the top levels of golf - same with Westwood , Monty when he was around and Fowler as well.

All of them have come close a number of times and bar the odd bit of luck , bounce or seeing someone play the round of their lives they all would have had one to their name.

Monty is perfect example of still being remembered for a great career despite not winning a major - how many one off major winners careers to people remember - Jones , Beem , Curtis , Brookes, Hamilton - all players that have been forgotten about despite winning a major in their career - the reason why - they did nothing else - they showed that someone can have four good days and that's it - is four days the defining moment for a career ? Not for me

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Because people can regualry check that out

Majors are the pinnacle in golf just like grand slams but they shouldn't ever define a players career

Plenty of players have had stellar careers without winning a major - winning the major would be the crowning glory no doubt but not the only limitation on what is a great career.

People don't remember players like Hamilton because beyond the Open he did nothing else - same with a few other major winners but players like Garcia will be remembered - because his career has stood the test of time - 18 years after bursting on the seem he is still challenging for the top , still winning titles and still in the top levels of golf - same with Westwood , Monty when he was around and Fowler as well.

All of them have come close a number of times and bar the odd bit of luck , bounce or seeing someone play the round of their lives they all would have had one to their name.

Monty is perfect example of still being remembered for a great career despite not winning a major - how many one off major winners careers to people remember - Jones , Beem , Curtis , Brookes, Hamilton - all players that have been forgotten about despite winning a major in their career - the reason why - they did nothing else - they showed that someone can have four good days and that's it - is four days the defining moment for a career ? Not for me

Lets say your Jordan Spieth, its Sunday of a Major and the only people who can realistically win it based on the score board are you (Jordan), Lee and Sergio.... What are you thinking?