Best Player never to win a major over past 40 yrs

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
This should generate some debate-who was the best player never to win a major.

I suggest Monty and Dug Sanders who missed a putt to hand Nicklaus a playoff for the 1970 Open.

Any other suggestions.

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Agreed-Monty. Has he passed his zenith though?

Best tip I ever got from Monty- when he started to loose a bit of weight a few years ago Aliss asked him what his secret was.

He replied,' portion control'. Best golf tip I ever got off a pro.

Used to resent him slightly as he came across as a little spoilt and having been given chances due to his background that other, perhaps better players, might not get.

On reflection though it doesn't matter if you've got a few advantages, you still need the passion, commitment, dedication and raw talent for the game to make it to the top so fair play to him. There are plenty of people out there with similar golf connections that don't capitalise on their advantages.

Would dearly love to see him lift a big one - maybe stick it to the yanks at Augusta like Faldo, Woosie and Lile did. Here's hoping

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Agreed-Monty. Has he passed his zenith though?

Best tip I ever got from Monty- when he started to loose a bit of weight a few years ago Aliss asked him what his secret was.

He replied,' portion control'. Best golf tip I ever got off a pro.

Used to resent him slightly as he came across as a little spoilt and having been given chances due to his background that other, perhaps better players, might not get.

On reflection though it doesn't matter if you've got a few advantages, you still need the passion, commitment, dedication and raw talent for the game to make it to the top so fair play to him. There are plenty of people out there with similar golf connections that don't capitalise on their advantages.

Would dearly love to see him lift a big one - maybe stick it to the yanks at Augusta like Faldo, Woosie and Lile did. Here's hoping

Monty definitely should have won one by now, unfortunately his time is up. his putting is pish now, don't think he'll get it back.
He certainly won't be winning at Augusta, not with his fade!
The US Open or USPGA always been his best chance.

MVP

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Monty for me! serg has got another 10 years left to sort himself out he may mature one day. he needs to hang out with seve a few times for inspiration

Dormie

Club Champion
Visit site
Can only be Monty;
I still hope he gets one, but the dissapointment after every missed opportunity is fading away to resignation!