Who is Europe's best hope of a major in 2021?

Who is Europe's best hope of a major in 2021?

• Rory McIlroy

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Jon Rahm

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Tyrrell Hatton

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • Viktor Hovland

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Tommy Fleetwood

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Matt Fitzpatrick

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Paul Casey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AN Other

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • None

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I wish i had a suspect temperament that got me multiple wins and inside the worlds top 50 like those guys. Even better if it was one of those really dodgy temperaments like Rory, Rahm, Hatton or Casey that gets you into the top 5 players in the world over the years ;):D

The question was about who is most likely to win a major not who can make the top 5 of the world rankings. Luke Donald managed to get to world number one without ever really challenging for a major. Winning a major is a different kettle of fish. Of the four you've quoted, only one has won majors and the last was 7 years ago. Since then Rory has flattered to deceive in the majors with only decent final rounds adding some respectability to mediocre performances over the first 3 days whilst Casey has faded in the final round each time he's been in contention at a major. Rahm looks like he's going to explode any time he misses a putt. Hatton also looks like he might have a short fuse. There's plenty of players who have made the top 5 of the world rankings without winning a major.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The poll didn't prevent me from voting twice so I went for Rahm and Hatton. I think they definitely have the game for it, and while they've both had temperament issues in the past, I feel that's kind of steeled them into setting a very high standard for themselves, and often meeting it. McIlroy and Fleetwood seem to go the opposite way and just crumble under the pressure. I do have a weird feeling that Rory will get the Masters this year, but I can't explain why, it's not really based on logic or anything, so I'd still say it's not particularly likely the way majors have gone for him in the last few years.

Hovland has the talent to get one one day, but you can't say he has a better chance than say Rahm of getting one this year. Fitzpatrick I just don't think he's good enough and I don't really like him. Casey just teetering on the brink of being past his best - would have to be a phenomenal week from him if he managed it.

Hammertoe

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Pretty surprised no-one has mentioned Shane Lowry, previous major winner and has experience of losing a major going into the final round which really seemed to help him at Portrush. I would put him before at least 5 of that list.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
What do you mean? They get one every year, except last year due to covid.

Its the states that needs addressing, they don't need 3! One should go to Asia IMO.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty surprised no-one has mentioned Shane Lowry, previous major winner and has experience of losing a major going into the final round which really seemed to help him at Portrush. I would put him before at least 5 of that list.
Hasn't he been in fairly poor form since that Open win though?

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
The poll didn't prevent me from voting twice so I went for Rahm and Hatton. I think they definitely have the game for it, and while they've both had temperament issues in the past, I feel that's kind of steeled them into setting a very high standard for themselves, and often meeting it. McIlroy and Fleetwood seem to go the opposite way and just crumble under the pressure. I do have a weird feeling that Rory will get the Masters this year, but I can't explain why, it's not really based on logic or anything, so I'd still say it's not particularly likely the way majors have gone for him in the last few years.

Hovland has the talent to get one one day, but you can't say he has a better chance than say Rahm of getting one this year. Fitzpatrick I just don't think he's good enough and I don't really like him. Casey just teetering on the brink of being past his best - would have to be a phenomenal week from him if he managed it.

Like most of us I do this every April with Rory, I'm now telling myself that the annual wow factor won't be there having been there in November and that his busy schedule is going to make Masters week feel a lot more 'normal'. I also think the lack of fans/media will help him (for just that one week)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like most of us I do this every April with Rory, I'm now telling myself that the annual wow factor won't be there having been there in November and that his busy schedule is going to make Masters week feel a lot more 'normal'. I also think the lack of fans/media will help him (for just that one week)
I don't really like him so it's not a case of me willing him on and trying to think of reasons he'll win it. But it is similar to what you said, with it coming around quick after the last Masters, and the fact he played well there for three days having put himself out of the running on day one (standard Rory stuff really). It's like all the stories and possibilities have been done now, except the one where he finally wins it. Just a feeling.. but he probably still won't.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
McSunday

Not an original thought. It is actually what someone on another forum calls Sundays when McIlroy is in contention.

McSundays, it's what stops him from winning or having a good final round when he's at the top of the leaderboard.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Quite like that. Someone on Sky, probably Wayne Riley, refers to it as a 'little bit of Sundayitis' when things go wrong for any player

sunshine

Visit site
They've all got the game to win a major.

I'd still say Rory is the most likely... consistently puts himself in contention, and know what it feels like to win a major.
Most of the players on the list have never even contended before (not saying that rules them out).

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty similar to Lowry's before he won one. Or Woodland's. Or Molinari's.
2 top 25s in the majors before molinari won.
woodland t6 and t33 2 majors before winning
Lowry T8 and T32 two majors before winning

So no not really similar

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

So no not really similar
He came 6th in the most recent Open! :D Seriously though, he had a bad year for majors but also had probably his best golfing year at the same time - and his majors before that were more kind of average. I don't think it's a reason to say he won't win one.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site

So no not really similar

He has been battling a wrist injury while playing most of the majors he has played. Now he is fixed, his win rate is phenomenal. I am not sure that his prior record really counts for much.