The standard of golf in UK compared to other countries.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
[/B]1st time was (also virgin golfer) Father for a 'round' before Supper. Aged about 12 or 13. Didn't play again for about another 12 or 13 years - at a works day out.
How did you learn?
Trial and error, range sessions and playing the local 9 hole course

Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development?
Definitely.
How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways?
Practice.

Why do you play? (seriously, what's your motivation?)
Fun, exercise, company, scenery - and the challenge of the game!

Btw. Saw a Congu article recently that indicated average handicap was 14.
I stand corrected. Must say that's not too bad for an average hcp. Thailand doesn't use the handicap system:eek: and they play in 6 balls!

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
1] My Dad
2] Watching my Dad play
3] We did not have a telly when I was young, after that very little golf on the telly. Watched a lot of live golf tournaments.
4] I have no desire to improve, just play for fun.
5] To see if I can still hit the odd good shot.

I used to know a couple of Pros who coached in Germany.
They have a good system and the players take instruction very seriously.
If they do not improve quickly it is generally the fault of the Pro!!
They need a handicap certificate before they are allowed on any course.

Sorry, I just can't believe that! [bold statement]

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Who introduced you to golf and at what age?
Workmates at age 27 - started playing really when I moved to England and worked shifts (so had opportunity to get out) at age 28

How did you learn?
By playing - had some lessons a couple of years in though

Nope but the Masters on TV added to the enthusiasm for the golf year starting

How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways?
Been having lessons since October - currently practicing a lot (just back from the fourth visit to range since Monday) - Sometimes try some of the drills on YouTube

Just like being on a golf course, walking off the first tee on a nice course you haven't played before is the best feeling in the World

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
Workmates at age 27 - started playing really when I moved to England and worked shifts (so had opportunity to get out) at age 28

How did you learn?
By playing - had some lessons a couple of years in though

Nope but the Masters on TV added to the enthusiasm for the golf year starting

Been having lessons since October - currently practicing a lot (just back from the fourth visit to range since Monday) - Sometimes try some of the drills on YouTube

Just like being on a golf course, walking off the first tee on a nice course you haven't played before is the best feeling in the World
I can totally relate to that. Where/ which is your favourite course?

Hack-Man-Hob

Club Champion
Visit site
1 - Phil The bar owner at Pinehurst bar Amarilla Golf Tenerife! Visiting a pal for the tenth time maybe who lives on the course and doesn't play, feeling hungover he suggested sweating it out lent me his clubs played (in uk) every week since! (how many opportunities did I miss to play that course??!!)

2 - Just playing all the time (solo I find is great for improving)

3 - No but it does now enthusiasm goes through the roof every weekend

4 - Practice on course the odd trip to the driving range and Mr Crossfield on you tube

5 - I'm hooked and I love it and the chance to improve. Also getting away from the hustle and bustle and being able to focus solely on one thing, in beautiful surroundings (no better smell than that of freshly cut grass after a day at the grindstone)

Last edited:

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
1 - Phil The bar owner at Pinehurst bar Amarilla Golf Tenerife! Visiting a pal for the tenth time maybe who lives on the course and doesn't play, feeling hungover he suggested sweating it out lent me his clubs played (in uk) every week since! (how many opportunities did I miss to play that course??!!)

2 - Just playing all the time (solo I find is great for improving)

3 - No but it does now enthusiasm goes through the roof every weekend

4 - Practice on course the odd trip to the driving range and Mr Crossfield on you tube

5 - I'm hooked and I love it and the chance to improve. Also getting away from the hustle and bustle and being able to focus solely on one thing, in beautiful surroundings (no better smell than that of freshly cut grass after a day at the grindstone)
My hayfever says otherwise :) but I get what you mean!

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Who introduced you to golf and at what age? My dad, at age 9(1968)
How did you learn? Self taught for the first 20yrs, then the occasional lesson since.
Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development? No.
How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways? I don't, I just play with what I've got. Might practice if there's something going wrong.
Why do you play? (seriously, what's your motivation?) A multitude of reasons. I love the craic, I like playing good courses, the challenge of putting a good score together...

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
In my mid-40s, my wife suddenly announced that we must find an activity we could do together (stop sniggering in the back). She said I had to learn to either ride a horse or play golf. I've always regarded horses as skittish and unpredictable, so it was a no-brainer. Ironically I now rarely play with my wife, except on holiday and in the very few mixed events our club runs.

How did you learn?
Initially, lessons with a pro at a local range.

Not really - tour pros play a completely different game.

Some lessons and practice.

I enjoy the company and it's a way to get some exercise. (I hate exercise for its own sake).

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
In my mid-40s, my wife suddenly announced that we must find an activity we could do together (stop sniggering in the back). She said I had to learn to either ride a horse or play golf. I've always regarded horses as skittish and unpredictable, so it was a no-brainer. Ironically I now rarely play with my wife, except on holiday and in the very few mixed events our club runs.

How did you learn?
Initially, lessons with a pro at a local range.

Not really - tour pros play a completely different game.

Some lessons and practice.

I enjoy the company and it's a way to get some exercise. (I hate exercise for its own sake).
Crickey, you've just described my wife brilliantly! :eek:

G1BB0

Money List Winner
Visit site
Who introduced you to golf and at what age? played with mates but reallistically Kris a work colleague 3 years ago so that was aged 39

How did you learn?
lessons, playing, range, magazines, youtube, ebay (I have had a few different sets in a very short time so trial and error)

not really as I have always watched it from childhood but can't say it made me want to play, I just enjoy watching sport regardless

Lessons, range and shortgame areas including the lounge carpet for putting :)

Why do you play?
god knows cos I am crap!!!!

LIG

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Me, around mid twenties. Had to find something "non-contact"! :eek:

How did you learn?
Lessons from pro at local driving range.

Only as far as keeping my interest - but then I tend to watch whatever sport I play - cricket, badminton.

Playing (usually once a week), lessons every so often (i.e when it all goes pear-shaped) and practice (very rarely)

Mostly, for the challenge - there is always something you could have done better. A best score feels good for a while but that just becomes the next target to beat.
Sometimes, to de-stress - nothing more relaxing than pointlessly bashing a ball around a field. :D

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
Me, around mid twenties. Had to find something "non-contact"! :eek:

How did you learn?
Lessons from pro at local driving range.

Only as far as keeping my interest - but then I tend to watch whatever sport I play - cricket, badminton.

Playing (usually once a week), lessons every so often (i.e when it all goes pear-shaped) and practice (very rarely)

Mostly, for the challenge - there is always something you could have done better. A best score feels good for a while but that just becomes the next target to beat.
Sometimes, to de-stress - nothing more relaxing than pointlessly bashing a ball around a field. :D
You've lost me??? Where's the contact in cricket? :D

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
My dad when I was about 10

How did you learn?
Started with a week of lessons in the summer holidays and then just played as much as I could with a few weekend lessons thrown in

Yes and No. I liked watching it on TV but I never tried to emulate them or their swin

Regular lessons and the odd playing one, plenty of practice and playing as much as I can

To shoot the lowest score I can and lower my handicap.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
1. Uncle Harry, God bless him. I was about 14 or 15. Wonder if he realised what he started?

2. Playing and studying golf books.

3. Not really. Ronnie Corbett & Terry Wogan weren't exactly role models for improving your golf.

4. Golf instruction books and articles, trial & error.

5. For pleasure; from hitting good shots, from making good scores, from being out in the countryside, from the company I'm with. Any one of those 4 will do, more than one is a bonus.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
1. Uncle Harry, God bless him. I was about 14 or 15. Wonder if he realised what he started?

2. Playing and studying golf books.

3. Not really. Ronnie Corbett & Terry Wogan weren't exactly role models for improving your golf.

4. Golf instruction books and articles, trial & error.

5. For pleasure; from hitting good shots, from making good scores, from being out in the countryside, from the company I'm with. Any one of those 4 will do, more than one is a bonus.
Lol! :D

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Started playing with my Dad at around 17 years of age.

How did you learn?
Hacked it round for a few months or so, then had a couple of group lessons before hacking it round for several years. Since getting back into the game 6 or 7 years ago I realised that my swing was crap and so have had a few lessons a year for the last 5 years or so.

I used to love watching the names of the day; Faldo, Seve, Nicklaus, Watson, etc but I didn't try and copy their styles, maybe that's where I went wrong?

As above, two or three lessons a year, also reading books and on-line stuff, range work in winter and in the summer I try and get on the course at east one evening a week to practice.

Because I love the game, it's a challenege every day, usually a different one form the last round. It's usually played in good company and in a competitive yet friendly atmosphere, whether that's a club championship or a friendly with a couple of sovereigns riding on it.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
Started playing with my Dad at around 17 years of age.

How did you learn?
Hacked it round for a few months or so, then had a couple of group lessons before hacking it round for several years. Since getting back into the game 6 or 7 years ago I realised that my swing was crap and so have had a few lessons a year for the last 5 years or so.

I used to love watching the names of the day; Faldo, Seve, Nicklaus, Watson, etc but I didn't try and copy their styles, maybe that's where I went wrong?

As above, two or three lessons a year, also reading books and on-line stuff, range work in winter and in the summer I try and get on the course at east one evening a week to practice.

Because I love the game, it's a challenege every day, usually a different one form the last round. It's usually played in good company and in a competitive yet friendly atmosphere, whether that's a club championship or a friendly with a couple of sovereigns riding on it.
Now that's a four ball!

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Friend of mine...I was 21

How did you learn?
Lessons

Didn't really watch it in the beginning...but avid watcher now

Lessons and practice practice practice

To be the best I can be