The standard of golf in UK compared to other countries.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
Right, I've been thinking (I know, never a good idea!), but having lived in several countries I have noticed some very big differences in our approach to the game. I'm wondering why...

I spent a period in the USA where the top level of golf is as good, if not better than the rest of the world, but the level of the average Joe on the course is probably the worst in any developed golfing country I've seen.

Six years in Germany and I noticed that the average handicap is much higher than here, but looking closer the speed at which they improve is very impressive. Starting handicap is 54 (I know!) but within 2-3 years they all seem to get down to a respectable mid teen handicap. Top level golf is miles behind still though.

Ten years living in Thailand (ah, them were the days!) and you notice a whole different attitude to the game but golf levels are fairly similar to here with the exception of the very top tour pros here being better. (Major winners V's no major winners).

Here, we still seem to have an average club handicap of 18 (correct me if wrong) yet most golfers here have played since their childhood years. Top pro golf here is very competitive (see Ryder Cup and world rankings).

So, here is my question, well, actually I have a few :)

1. Who introduced you to golf and at what age? My dad
  2. How did you learn? Lessons
  3. Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development? Absolutely
  4. How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways? Practice
  5. Why do you play? (seriously, what's your motivation?) I want to beat my previous best scores.

Think that's probably enough for now, but I really would appreciate the feedback.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Who introduced you to golf and at what age?
I don't really know, I think I just thought I'd give it a go

How did you learn?
By playing. I have spent ever since trying to get rid of bad habits

Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development?
I don't think so

How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways?
Playing, lessons every so often and practice (sometimes)

Why do you play? (seriously, what's your motivation?)
To shoot the lowest score I can and lower my handicap.

G.U.R

Head Pro
Visit site
1. Parents

2. By playing, only ever had 1 half hour lesson when I was about 18.

3. Not really. When I was young the only Golf on TV was the Open or Pro Celebrity Golf on BBC2. More so now as I watch it all the time.

4. Practise and Playing.

5. I enjoy it, the moment that's not the case I will stop.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad when I was about 8.

How did you learn?
A few lessons with the pro before I was allowed on the course to play.

Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development
I don't remember watching golf on TV until my late teens/early twenties

How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways?N
Don't have time to practise so just go out and play and hope for the best.

To have fun and enjoy being out on the course with good company.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
1. Parents

2. By playing, only ever had 1 half hour lesson when I was about 18.

3. Not really. When I was young the only Golf on TV was the Open or Pro Celebrity Golf on BBC2. More so now as I watch it all the time.

4. Practise and Playing.

5. I enjoy it, the moment that's not the case I will stop.
Bit of a blast from the past that! :)
Cheers for the replies guys.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
My brother and dad both played but I had no interest
I needed a competitive sport when I quit playing rugby so took the game up in my 30s

How did you learn?
By playing and a few group lessons when I started out.

Nope and I really do not watch that much golf. Did not even watch much when I had Sky Sports

How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways?
By playing. Very occasionally I have a lesson if I have a specific issue (I had 2 last year, one short game and one bunker play)

To have fun and because I need to have at least one sport that I play in my life. To be fair, when I quit playing rugby it could have been any sport that I took up to fill the void. Handicap improvement is the ideal goal, being competitive gets the blood pumping but I enjoy playing sport and that is the motivating factor.

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Grandad / Dad age 4 or 5

How did you learn?
Joined a club at 10 and played most summers. Only had lessons recently and mostly self taught, watching better players and workign out how to get a ball round a course.

Makes me think about different shots nowadays. When I was younger definitely helped spur me on and give me motivation to get better.

Mostly practice - either at the range or on course. Just started having lessons and am pretty aware of youtube content and latest theories etc.

To give me something competitive to 'play' now that I can't be bothered to be fit enough to play football. Want to get to a level where I'm competing regularly towards the top of local scratch opens.

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi , I will try to answer this as best I can

1. My mate Jon Beavis got me to take up the game , I was 39 and we worked together on the Trains at Salisbury , my 1st game was at Earlstoke Sands Golf Club in Wiltshire where he was a member , I bought a new set of starter clubs and shot 125 , same score as the high speed Trains I later drove

2. I had Lessons with the pro Rod Davies at Canford from near enough the start , my mate Russ whom I played a lot with of 12 help too and later played a lot with Steve Frost ex Pro when I was a member at Knighton Heath , I also had Lesson at Broadstone with Nigel Tokley

3. watch the golf on Telly yes and had the video Golf my way by Jack Nickalaus , that was my bible

4 . Still have lessons with Chris Brook at Parley and still practice , semi retired now so will start again to take on the over 55 comps this year

5 Exercise , I love the game and its a great crack with the right company , its just a lovely way to spent summer days , even winter ones and of also on holiday , then there is the crack in the bar and the winning of competitions if you play well

..........................EYG

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dad; i was around 10

How did you learn?
Had a few lessons to start but was too pig headed to remember much. Been ploughing my own furrow ever since

Absolutely. Seve, Faldo, Langer, Lyle, McNulty - learnt bits from all of them and they still inspire me today

Books (Nicklaus, John Jacobs), internet but above all else; practice.

Too see how good i can get and win stuff (trophies or 10p skins - it's all good)

la_lucha

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Who introduced you to golf and at what age? Me at 28
How did you learn? 2 Lessons and practice, still learning
Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development? Nope
How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice,
Why do you play? (seriously, what's your motivation?) I like getting out for a walk.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
Dad; i was around 10

How did you learn?
Had a few lessons to start but was too pig headed to remember much. Been ploughing my own furrow ever since

Absolutely. Seve, Faldo, Langer, Lyle, McNulty - learnt bits from all of them and they still inspire me today

Books (Nicklaus, John Jacobs), internet but above all else; practice.

Too see how good i can get and win stuff (trophies or 10p skins - it's all good)
How did I forget to mention books in the question?Doh! Has the world really changed that much?
Some good answers, keep em coming!

Robobum

Money List Winner
Visit site
I got moved in class for messing about and sat next to a lad who played, he got me interested to try - I was 14

How did you learn?
Went to the pitch & putt next to Plymouth Argyle's ground and picked it up by mimicking & trial/ error

Yes - I'm that type of learner. Show me once and I'm all over it, tell me 100times and it might trickle feed in.

Bit of practise, bit of playing - always enjoying it though

It's a very challenging game and I like being challenged. You will never ever be as good as you can be, so there is always room to improve.

Jason Daisycutter

Club Champion
Visit site
I got moved in class for messing about and sat next to a lad who played, he got me interested to try - I was 14

How did you learn?
Went to the pitch & putt next to Plymouth Argyle's ground and picked it up by mimicking & trial/ error

Yes - I'm that type of learner. Show me once and I'm all over it, tell me 100times and it might trickle feed in.

Bit of practise, bit of playing - always enjoying it though

It's a very challenging game and I like being challenged. You will never ever be as good as you can be, so there is always room to improve.
Probably the best line I've seen on the forum so far, Love it!

mcbroon

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My dad/granddad, when I was 2. (I've just given my 2yo daughter the cut-down putter that my granddad gave me when I was the same age:) )

How did you learn?
By playing with my dad, mostly. Had maybe half a dozen lessons over the years.

A little, but going to tournaments was a bigger help

Practice

Many answers to this -
for the competition
for the exercise
for the fresh air
for the feeling of hitting a good shot
to keep improving
to get my h/c down

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
  1. Who introduced you to golf and at what age? Two friends who played together every weekend
  2. How did you learn? Playing initially
  3. Did golf being on TV regularly help in your development? Nope
  4. How do you go about improving your golf now? Lessons, practice, Youtube or other ways? Lessons, practice, playing, Youtube, forum... Anything and everything.
  5. Why do you play? (seriously, what's your motivation?) I play because its a hobby I will never master so can die trying.

Break90

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A group of mates and me decided to give it a go at school 25 years ago as a 'General Studies' option.
How did you learn?
Trial and error, range sessions and playing the local 9 hole course

I wuldn't say watching competitive golf taught me how to play the game, but it certainly kept me interested in the game. Watch far too much golf on TV nowadays
Play once or twice a week, range once or twice a week, lesson once a month (ish)

Lots of reasons, its exercise, fresh air and relaxation, its a good opportunity for me to cleanse my mind of all the work related stuff, and its a personal challenge to beat my previous best, control my emotions. Ultimate goals are to get down to single figures and wina board comp at my club

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
1] My Dad
2] Watching my Dad play
3] We did not have a telly when I was young, after that very little golf on the telly. Watched a lot of live golf tournaments.
4] I have no desire to improve, just play for fun.
5] To see if I can still hit the odd good shot.

I used to know a couple of Pros who coached in Germany.
They have a good system and the players take instruction very seriously.
If they do not improve quickly it is generally the fault of the Pro!!
They need a handicap certificate before they are allowed on any course.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
[/B]1st time was (also virgin golfer) Father for a 'round' before Supper. Aged about 12 or 13. Didn't play again for about another 12 or 13 years - at a works day out.
How did you learn?
Trial and error, range sessions and playing the local 9 hole course

Definitely.
Practice.

Fun, exercise, company, scenery - and the challenge of the game!

Btw. Saw a Congu article recently that indicated average handicap was 14.

standrew

Head Pro
Visit site

In 2012 i just started playing after being inspired by watching it on tv
Played about 3 rounds as a kid then stopped.

How did you learn?

Didnt watch

Online golf method, research into sports science, working on golf attributes and swinging the club.

I love learning, improving and working the game out.

Last edited:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My Uncle Les on Ainsdale beach - with a cut-down hickory shafted mashie niblick - I would have been about 9

How did you learn?
Hitting balls in local private school playing field from top to bottom and around (made my own little 5 hole course with long and high jump pits as bunkers). And in parent's back garden I laid Hogan's Fundamentals book open on ground in front of me as I stood opposite big window in side of our garage and I matched my body, arms and legs positions to the pictures in the book. And once I was able to get ball off of the ground (it was a 5i) me and a mate went and scrambled around local muni.

Not at all. Wasn't allowed by my mum to watch TV morning or early afternoon during the summer so didn't watch much of The Open (changed days eh!) - wasn't that bothered about watching it in any case as would always would rather have been playing golf or football - or doing something/anything outdoors.

Playing and checking back with my copy of Hogan's book. I go to course for few holes whenever I can - as I'm only 3mins drive fro club.

I just love the game - the challenge, the history and it's traditions. And if I can be good at it then that's great - it is such a difficult game and it demands great self discipline, composure and control - and if you care - it imbues you with good habits of consideration to and for others. And you can play anywhere and the h/cap system enables you to play with anyone on a friendly competitive basis

And this year my motivation is to get my name on one of the club boards...not for bragging but to feel a part of the history of my club albeit in a very small way - that would mean a lot to me.

Last edited: