Beginner irons

Thefenlandplumber

Visit site
Hi guys I’m new here and new to golf. I’ve had several lessons and looking to invest in some irons. I have a budget of around £500 and ideally want a set that will last a little while. From googling the jpx 923 hot metal and srixon zx4 irons seem to be favoured but didn’t know if anyone could recommend a different set ? Any help would be much appreciated

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
There’s plenty of game improvement sets from across the manufacturers. If you’re quite new to the game you’ll probably find that your swing will change as you improve, including a possible increase in swing speed. A set you buy today might not be a good fit in a year’s time. With that in mind I’d suggest buying second hand through someone like Golfbidder or clubs4cash.

Don’t get too hooked up on the latest models as there’s not much difference between this year’s models and something a couple of years old in terms of performance.

Ping G430, Callaway Rogue & Titliest T300 look quite decent.

Consider a brief assessment to find out your swing speed. It might cost you a few pounds but might also save you money and grief with the purchase.

Good luck & enjoy!

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
The JPX are fantastic. I still use the 900s from 7 years ago. However are you looking for everything for £500 or just irons?

It may arguably be too soon to get fitted as you might not be consistent enough but trying them out first is a minimum of what you should do. My mate and I got fitted for the JPX 900s at the same time and have different regular shaft options. We both struggle with each others clubs. I also have another mate who buys clubs second hand online and is constantly changing them as they don’t suit him.

The reality is that you will probably end up starting to switch things out after a couple of years but I’d go anywhere that will fit/allow you to test clubs before buying. This is where American golf come in at your price point but there are plenty of places popping up within the second hand market now that offer this service. Just don’t let them push you out the door with something they are trying to get rid of and you don’t feel 100% happy with.

Maybe look at Wilson staff too.

Bobthesock

Visit site
Just buy something on sale from last year. Last year I bought some ex demo cobra ltdx for £370.
A club is a club as long as you don't get some tiny blades

Thefenlandplumber

Visit site
Thanks for the advice, I may have to cheat on my coach and ask for a fitting else where different branding is an option, been hitting some old Wilson deep red irons on my lessons

Burnsey

Visit site
I can guarantee you'll trade up quickly, so just get what you like the look of.

Terrible advice, but new to golf, you could get the hang of it really quickly, or struggle, so your choices now may only be valid a short time, even if fitted.

Buy a cheap ish set, then play some and see what shots you like to hit, then an honest review by a pro and more lessons, then a fitting with a full brand centre like Scottsdale.

I played for some time with strong lofted irons and struggled with approach shots running off greens. Now, with a 33 degree 7 iron etc, my ball stops and my scores are better.

Be catious of folk selling you an iron set biased on distance.

RichA

Visit site
I can guarantee you'll trade up quickly, so just get what you like the look of.

Terrible advice, but new to golf, you could get the hang of it really quickly, or struggle, so your choices now may only be valid a short time, even if fitted.

Buy a cheap ish set, then play some and see what shots you like to hit, then an honest review by a pro and more lessons, then a fitting with a full brand centre like Scottsdale.

I played for some time with strong lofted irons and struggled with approach shots running off greens. Now, with a 33 degree 7 iron etc, my ball stops and my scores are better.

Be catious of folk selling you an iron set biased on distance.
I agree with this.

Based only on my experience as a newish golfer (4 years taking it seriously) and the experiences of those close to me, this will go one of two ways:

1. You'll buy a set of GI irons, rapidly improve and decide you need better golf clubs to really reach your potential.
or
2. You'll buy a set of GI irons, improve slightly then plateau, feel the GI irons are holding you back and decide you need better golf clubs to really reach your potential.

Both of these options involve the repeated outlay of cash. You probably won't get it right first time so don't blow your entire budget for the next couple of years on your first proper set unless you really know you'll stick with them through thick and thin.
And if you decide to go down the non-GI route, at some point soon you'll think you should have done.
Welcome to amateur golf.