Who is Europe's best hope of a major in 2021?

Who is Europe's best hope of a major in 2021?

• Rory McIlroy

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Jon Rahm

Votes: 29 44.6%
  • Tyrrell Hatton

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • Viktor Hovland

Votes: 6 9.2%
  • Tommy Fleetwood

Votes: 11 16.9%
  • Matt Fitzpatrick

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Paul Casey

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • AN Other

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • None

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Tyrrell Hatton is now up to 5th in the world following his win in Abu Dhabi and Europe currently have six players in the top 20. Rory is the only one of the sextet to have won a big one and much of the talk will be about him at Augusta but who do you fancy to nab one of the big four and why? Then again Europe's five previous major winners were none of those listed...

I'll start the bidding with Tommy at Torrey Pines in June..

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Viktor Hovland. He is one of a group of players who currently have no fear when they play, there is no weight of expectation. Morikawa, Wolf, Hovland. All come through at the same time with the same attitude and high abilities.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Fleetwood. He's been there or there abouts for a while now. Doesn't seem to have the suspect temperament of some of the others either.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
Not Rory!

Hatton for form, but majors are a different beast really. I'll go Tyrell or Rahm. When Rahm pulls it all together he's something special.

D

Deleted member 15344

The main ones have the ability to win at each major but then many more before also have - Donald , Monty etc

Rory still will always rock up as the main European and the player with the best chance to win

None of the others have come close to really challenge bar the off fleeting moment

At the moment Hatton is on fire but the Open looks his best bet , Fleetwood may be like Westwood - doesn’t sink enough putts at the right time .

Hovland a bit of an unknown currently

D

Deleted member 1147

Rory or a nobody who has a great week

Rory is still our best player (in my humble opinion), and is so often at the pointy end of any event that I believe he has the best chance, and at 31 he's not exactly past it, so has a decade, at least, of chances still open to him.

The other alternative is that we have a European Todd Hamilton or Ben Curtis, who qualifies, and just somehow manages 2 rounds of quality away from the limelight, and then holds on to the end.

D

Deleted member 1147

Viktor Hovland. He is one of a group of players who currently have no fear when they play, there is no weight of expectation. Morikawa, Wolf, Hovland. All come through at the same time with the same attitude and high abilities.

There wasn't, but now they've all won, and are therefore expected to do well - will be interesting to see how they keep progressing

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There wasn't, but now they've all won, and are therefore expected to do well - will be interesting to see how they keep progressing
Agreed. New golfers to the scene get a honeymoon period and then the media pick up on them and the interviews start to come thick and fast, the questions about Majors start to weigh down. Hovland seems to play with a smile and I like that. Hopefully he can keep playing freely.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Fleetwood. He's been there or there abouts for a while now. Doesn't seem to have the suspect temperament of some of the others either.

I wish i had a suspect temperament that got me multiple wins and inside the worlds top 50 like those guys. Even better if it was one of those really dodgy temperaments like Rory, Rahm, Hatton or Casey that gets you into the top 5 players in the world over the years ;):D

D

Deleted member 3432

Fancy myself for a Senior Major or two, just need to get my game a bit tighter first....

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My head says Rahm, my heart says Rory. Hatton might suffer from that “form hitting at the wrong time for a major” thing but he’ll have plenty more years if that’s the case.

No one would be surprised if Rose turned up this year, class is permanent.