Most NRs in a competition

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We don't tend to get many NRs
To be honest, although you still can, it's not as easy to lose a ball around my place as it is at others.
Yes, we have knee high rough but it's, generally, well off line.
We have no water on the course and even the OBs are a long way off line on most holes..
I find way more than I lose and even the higher handicappers do t tend to lose that many unless they're having a really bad day.
Phil?????? Asking for a friend

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
NRs? Do they really exist? Some extracts from our Regional Handicap Adviser on the subject.

After pointing out the player’s responsibilities contained in Rule 1.3 of the Rules of Handicapping - no need to bore you with that as we are all well aware of them – the document goes on:

This means that all scores must be returned following play. There is no exception; and the old concept of a 'no return' is no longer allowed. Where a player does not return their score for some reason, they are expected to provide the reason to the Committee and the card with the available hole scores.

If any player fails to return their score they should be sent an email reminder by the Committee, asking for them to provide the score within 24 hours of that email. Any player not returning the score within that time will be subject to a Penalty Score being added to their handicap record;”

When I have time, I will post on our club’s experience of changing all our “Medal” competitions to “Maximum Score” format – definitely no place for NRs there.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
NRs? Do they really exist? Some extracts from our Regional Handicap Adviser on the subject.

After pointing out the player’s responsibilities contained in Rule 1.3 of the Rules of Handicapping - no need to bore you with that as we are all well aware of them – the document goes on:

This means that all scores must be returned following play. There is no exception; and the old concept of a 'no return' is no longer allowed. Where a player does not return their score for some reason, they are expected to provide the reason to the Committee and the card with the available hole scores.

If any player fails to return their score they should be sent an email reminder by the Committee, asking for them to provide the score within 24 hours of that email. Any player not returning the score within that time will be subject to a Penalty Score being added to their handicap record;”

When I have time, I will post on our club’s experience of changing all our “Medal” competitions to “Maximum Score” format – definitely no place for NRs there.
But it depends what is meant by an NR.

NR can mean...not physically returning your card...i.e. NOT returned which is what the emboldened bit above is talking about.

....or, it can mean not completing a specific hole...i.e. a NIL return....which in medal puts you out of the comp but still allows you to play for handicap.....we've all suffered from not being able to find a ball which we had no reason to believe would not be found, if your score isn't great anyway what's the point in trudging back to where you last played from, holding up your group along with those behind? I dont believe that anybody would try to suggest that the concept of an NR is no longer allowed under these sort of circumstances.

I believe that most people on this thread are talking about the latter scenario, not the former, where you simply dont bother handing you card in.

Swango1980

Visit site
But it depends what is meant by an NR.

NR can mean...not physically returning your card...i.e. NOT returned which is what the emboldened bit above is talking about.

....or, it can mean not completing a specific hole...i.e. a NIL return....which in medal puts you out of the comp but still allows you to play for handicap.....we've all suffered from not being able to find a ball which we had no reason to believe would not be found, if your score isn't great anyway what's the point in trudging back to where you last played from, holding up your group along with those behind? I dont believe that anybody would try to suggest that the concept of an NR is no longer allowed under these sort of circumstances.

I believe that most people on this thread are talking about the latter scenario, not the former, where you simply dont bother handing you card in.
Indeed. I suspect the definition is a bit misleading, perhaps due to how the score appears on the ISV (howdidido anyway, not sure about others)?

If a player does not complete a hole or more, but returns their card in medal, NR is the result as shown on the standings. No Return is probably not technically correct? Is the correct result DQ?

If so, perhaps the software should be smart enough to DQ by default if any holes are not completed, it could potentially put a note beside indicating the reason for the DQ (so viewers can distinguish between this common reason for DQ, and others such as not signing a card or something more serious deemed necessary to implement by Committee). Then, anyone who has signed into the competition, but no score has ever been returned at all, it could then show them as a genuine NR?

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I agree that the term is a bit misleading. In the scenario I mentioned, all the people who had 'NR' next to their name had returned a card and just had a number of holes not played - most due to the course closure and not going back out again. 2 players didn't return a card at all and they were annotated 'DQ'.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The system that the club uses for score entry by players literally has NR as one of the score options. I’d imagine it’s meant as an equivalent for “played but didn’t score” on EG.

In any case, if the ISVs are not changing it, people will continue using it.

SteveJay

Head Pro
Visit site
We get quite a lot when the rough is up and its windy, especially if it rains. i have seen 40 NR's in a field of 101 for one medal competition recently.

Mostly, I imagine, for the reasons stated earlier - someone hits a poor shot into the rough, expecting to find their ball so don't bother with a provisional, only to not find their ball and they don't want the stigma of walking back and maybe holding up the group behind.

IanMcC

Visit site
At the weekend, I was on 16th tee and we saw the final group go past us back to clubhouse. Spoke to them after. They were all playing so badly, they all decided to quit after the 8th hole.

Their scores still went on howdidido, so finished with 10 blobs, although was medal so score appears as NR
Shocking that your M&H Secretary let this go through.
10 nett double bogies affects their record so badly that their Indexes may well be artificially high. Certainly will be if this happens multiple times.
They should all have received Penalty Scores of CH + CR.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Shocking that your M&H Secretary let this go through.
10 nett double bogies affects their record so badly that their Indexes may well be artificially high. Certainly will be if this happens multiple times.
They should all have received Penalty Scores of CH + CR.
Surely this is what 8 best out of 20 recent is designed to take care of? They’d need to be walking of on a regular basis to have any effect.

Swango1980

Visit site

Surely this is what 8 best out of 20 recent is designed to take care of? They’d need to be walking of on a regular basis to have any effect.
Although one issue is that including such rounds knocks other scores off the Top 20, which could have been in Top 8 had they still been there.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Although one issue is that including such rounds knocks other scores off the Top 20, which could have been in Top 8 had they still been there.
That’s a valid point but no more than any poorly played General Score round that would have the same effect and we are then into the territory of a rather long WHS thread :ROFLMAO:

Default Golfer

Visit site
That’s a valid point but no more than any poorly played General Score round that would have the same effect and we are then into the territory of a rather long WHS thread :ROFLMAO:
Im my experience, most cases applying a penalty score of CH + CR results in a reduction in handicap index