What has been your most embarrassing moment on a golf course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I walked off our 13th after really playing badly for twelve holes. Hit a crap tee shot into our 180 yard par 3 13th and just didn't want to be there anymore. Made my apologies as I was in a filthy mood with myself and eating myself up inside and was aware I was probably becoming a moody git and didn't want to spoil anyone elses enjoyment any longer. Wasn't proud and usually an advocate of grinding the best score you sometimes you have to realise it's supposed to be a hobby and you are meant to enjoy it

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I think I lost more balls on the front 9 than I scored points at the Cooden meet last year. It was a tad breezy.

That is probably number 2 on the list though

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Couple come to mind :
Society weekend at Belton Woods, playing in the last group and around a 150 yd shot over the water left. Rest of the group watching from the back of the green. Decided I didn't want to dunk in the pond so thought let's give this one a bit extra and thinned it. It went like an Exocet hit the green and carried on through the patio into the pro shop. Had a good line back to the flag but guys in the shop wouldn't let me attempt it, probably in fear of the automatic sliding doors.

First comp out at Dartford and paired with the handicap sec, also a member of the board.
Short par 3 so took 4 iron for safety and put it straight over the fence into Dartford heath and just to show it wasn't a fluke unrepeated the shot twice more. Had a stinker of a round but he shook my hand at the end and congratulated me on my perseverance. Had a few sherberts after too ?

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Wouldn't say embarrassing because I looked stupid....which ultimately I was, but more embarrassing because of the personal shame that I felt...

Played in a social club outing at Thetford GC maybe 10 years ago....wasn't having the best round but it wasn't a total disaster...just daft shots frustratingly slipping away as we all know they can do. Much of my frustration was down to the fact that I'd been looking forward to the day for a long time after a tough personal few months of my life...especially as Thetford is a lovely course.

Anyway...

Was on the 14th maybe 15th green and had missed two putts from around 15ft for my par and faced with a 2 footer to salvage a point....missed it wide by a good 2 inches and in sheer frustration took an aggressive swipe at the ball to knock it deep into the undergrowth. Instead, my "swipe" bottomed out 8 inches before the ball and all I did was to shave an 6 inch long, putter width divot into the otherwise pristine green, just six inches from the hole.

With one of the great understatements of modern times one of my fellow golfers (and friend) looked at me disapprovingly and said "that's not really the done thing, is it Nick?". To be fair, I was utterly mortified at the damage I'd caused.

After making a feeble attempt to tee off at the next hole, I made my apologies to my companions, walked off the course, dumped the clubs in the boot of the car and went to knock on the club secretaries door to fess up about the damage I'd caused. I felt like a naughty schoolboy stood in front of him. He must have realised that I was really upset about what I'd done and to be fair to him was really good about it (though I guess he may have been seeing red internally) and did his best to reassure me that things could be repaired.

Not my proudest moment on the golf course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Wouldn't say embarrassing because I looked stupid....which ultimately I was, but more embarrassing because of the personal shame that I felt...

Played in a social club outing at Thetford GC maybe 10 years ago....wasn't having the best round but it wasn't a total disaster...just daft shots frustratingly slipping away as we all know they can do. Much of my frustration was down to the fact that I'd been looking forward to the day for a long time after a tough personal few months of my life...especially as Thetford is a lovely course.

Anyway...

Was on the 14th maybe 15th green and had missed two putts from around 15ft for my par and faced with a 2 footer to salvage a point....missed it wide by a good 2 inches and in sheer frustration took an aggressive swipe at the ball to knock it deep into the undergrowth. Instead, my "swipe" bottomed out 8 inches before the ball and all I did was to shave an 6 inch long, putter width divot into the otherwise pristine green, just six inches from the hole.

With one of the great understatements of modern times one of my fellow golfers (and friend) looked at me disapprovingly and said "that's not really the done thing, is it Nick?". To be fair, I was utterly mortified at the damage I'd caused.

After making a feeble attempt to tee off at the next hole, I made my apologies to my companions, walked off the course, dumped the clubs in the boot of the car and went to knock on the club secretaries door to fess up about the damage I'd caused. I felt like a naughty schoolboy stood in front of him. He must have realised that I was really upset about what I'd done and to be fair to him was really good about it (though I guess he may have been seeing red internally) and did his best to reassure me that things could be repaired.

Not my proudest moment on the golf course.

Fair play for owning up and seeing the secretary.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I dropped and broke the first trophy I ever won when I was presented it.
Thought it was attached to the plinth and discovered I was wrong.