What has been your most embarrassing moment on a golf course.

Bamberdele21

Visit site
Don’t be shy now. Please share.

Suppose I’ll get the ball rolling.

I was 12 yo tearaway knocking with the wrong crowd, as you do. At the time I lived in an area called Lilington in Leamington Spa which backed onto Newbold Comyn. There was a 18 hole golf course here owned by the council.

Me tagging along with the crowd wanting to join in we decided to go ‘golf ball robbing’.

I remember sitting in the bushes waiting for balls to bounce along the fairway. The rest of the group had already made their moves and all had freshly stolen golf balls in their pockets. I think they had done this before because they seemed to know the right spots where the balls would land. It took me a good while to man up , peer pressure was at its max and my heart was pumping, I finally made my move. The unsuspected victim had just played a great shot hitting the middle of the fairway. I grabbed it and quickly shuffled back in the bushes sitting there waiting for their heads to pop up from over the hill. We could see them but they couldn’t see us. It was great fun to watch these old boys scratch their heads while we sat there with their balls.

We must have collected at least 4/5 between us within a short amount of time so decided to head off in a group along the public path.

Then everyone started running. I froze. I was scared. These guys were angry. All I remember from here is being picked up by the back of my collar and frog marched to the clubhouse. I was that terrified I ended up crying and pissing my pants. It was one of the longest walks I’ve ever had.

The clubhouse rang my mother and told them I had been a bad little man. I was then set free. Needless to say I never did it again.

It is probably my earliest memory of anything Golf related.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
This has not actually happened (thank goodness) but I occasionally have a dream about getting knocked out by a golf ball when having a pee in the trees! :ROFLMAO: Always get a bit nervous when I have to go, don't want to have to get first aid with my goods on show!!!!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I was playing an open a Moray old when first started, had played the course before and played well, went into the comp was full of confidence. Watched a few groups off and was chatting with the starter about the fact lots were using driver off the tee and how that wasn't a good choice as the trouble left and right were only in range with the driver. Was being a bit of a Billy big balls and once introduced to the other two competitors who were both nervous, not me I was ready to shoot the lights out. Got on the tee to hit my 3 iron, my most consistent club at the time, 200 shot flick with my gap wedge. Off I went, topped it off the tee, and into a big clump of marram grass that was on the front of the tee at the time? had to take a drop out all infront of about 30 waiting around? racked up a 9..
Kept my mouth shut ever since?

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it has to be my worst bout of the Tom Hanks I ever got, 3 years ago or so. It was in a club match, away at Thorney Park - four ball betterball Stableford. Front nine I had played really well, my partner had only been mediocre but I was taking the fight to our opponents on my own - individually I had (-checks notes-) 21 points on the front nine. Teed it up on the 10th, a fairly long par 3, and shanked it with my 5 iron, over the trees and far away. 11th hole, middle of fairway, shanked it again. Proceeded to shank the next 4 or 5 iron shots in a row. It was soul-destroying, if anyone else has been in this position, you know it feels like your whole world and everything you know and understand has fallen apart. How can golf just stab you in the back like this?? Eventually I was just hitting little punch shots with a hybrid from 150, 140 yards even, it was so silly. I only managed 9 points individually for the back nine, and my partner hadn't quite managed to pick up the slack, so we lost of course. It's actually made me feel sick just thinking about now. :LOL:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
On the subject of the Barclays....
It was the day of Princess Di's funeral.
There was a medal at the club but the majority didn't play it..
In fact there were just 2 of us.
On the 11th hole I managed 5 in a row with a 7 iron - all OB onto an adjoining hole and all within 10 feet of each other.
Promptly gave up playing and just walked to mark the card of the winner.......
Never had a bout like that since...

D

Deleted member 21258

Hooking two off the 1st on a golf day into out of bounds know as 'Chelmsford hospital', first time playing with the clients on a corporate day.

Had a good laugh and helped to break the ice, still get reminded of it about 20ish years later, some things never die:ROFLMAO:

babylonsinger

Visit site
Back around 2015/16 a mate and I had a spell playing 18 somewhere different every sunday afternoon for a few months. We rock up at Pontypridd GC about 25 minutes away.
First hole is a par 3 and playing second I play a couple of practice swings to loosen up right at the back of the tee box. The last of which I graze the ground causing a 'divot' of sand and mud to launch into the air away from me. As this divot propels into the air, a member comes around the corner of a nearby building and in what felt like slow-motion the divot ends up looping perfectly into his mouth just as he is about to say hello causing him to cough and splutter.
I apologise a number of times to which he replies "no problem, it happens all the time"!
I should have left at that point as it set the tone for an absolutely horrendous round

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Turning round to the ladies I was playing with and saying them " the trouble with you ladies is you do not know what 6 inches is" .

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
We play early on Sundays , so normally dark when getting up, pulled a pair of trousers out of the Washing machine/Dryer. Got to the 5th hole not realising there had been a pair of the wives knickers hanging out of the back pocket. The others ribbed me about it when they found out what it was as they thought it was a cleaning towel I'd been carrying for the first 5 holes

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Probably the most embarrassing for me was walking off after 11 holes because I was playing badly, I was with my Dad and looking back on it I know there's people who would give anything and everything to be able to play a round of golf with their Dad.

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
One of my first ever corporate days, this one at the RAC Club

I wasn't a regular golfer but they needed a host, the other three in my group played regularly

Had hacked round and received plenty of sympathy / encouragement

Air shot off the tee on one of the Par 5's on the back 9, 13 points in all playing off 28

Last place, saying that won the booby prize of a towel for the bag and a sleeve of balls

GBC

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
25 years ago and I had just got Cat 1 status for the first time. My first medal competition with this new handicap and I was paired with two 28 handicap senior members that I had never met before. I said to myself, “Right, I’m going to show this pair of muppets how golf should be played”. I can’t remember the circumstances or the shots, but I know that I didn’t lose a ball or go OOB. The two seniors walked off the 1st with a par 4 each whilst I was writing down a 10 on the card.

dronfield

Visit site
Playing in a foursomes event at Woodhall Spa with a partner who i had not previously met, i had the honour and did a fresh air shot on a par 3. Playing partner had to step on to the tee and play our next shot with my ball still teed up!
Bad enough doing the fresh air shot in front of mates in a social knock, but to do it partnering a stranger in a comp was just a nightmare.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
I had a fresh air shot last year, but nobody was looking so all good.

Played Ganton last year with my friend. He's off 12 and a decent player. 1st tee. He goes first and hits about 4" behind the ball and takes a huge divot out of the beautifully manicured tee. The divot flies off into the long grass and we're desperately trying to find it before the elderly couple walking up behind us reach the tee. We did so but they can't have failed to notice the damage.

Apologies on his behalf to the greenkeeping team. ☺️