In the depths of despair….

wisey10

Visit site
I have hit rock bottom in my golfing life. To the point where I can no longer hit a ball.

As a background, i have never been good at golf, don’t get me wrong. Other than the odd pitch and putt as a kid, I first took it up 7 years ago. With an 8 iron and in I was very confident but like most high handicappers I suspect, I was erratic with my longer game. My consistent bad shot off the tee and fairway was a push. Would strike the ball reasonably but pushing them to the right. I was generally going round in the 105-110 region and predominantly it was my tee shots killing me.

Towards the end of that first year I decided to go for a lesson to try and sort it out. First lesson was ok and mainly going through things like posture and finish really. Was raising my left foot so told to concentrate on keeping that down. hit a bucket of balls with a wedge and they were all fine. Somewhere along the line though I was over analysing everything and also watching too much YouTube and trying to self diagnose. By the time I went for my second lesson I had somehow managed to lose my confidence and I was shanking everything. Had the lesson and I was tense because I couldn’t hit the ball and the pro was struggling to get me hitting the ball. This was late September so coming to the end of my golfing weather and I had a baby due the next month so I decided golf perhaps wasn’t for me and packed it in.

Fast forward to covid and a bit more time on my hands, a number of friends since taken up golf and I thought I would get back in to it again. The pattern has started off very similar only I bought a 3 hybrid and improved a little bit off the tee. But once again my bad shot was the push to the right so a few months in i went down a YouTube wormhole. This went on for a number of months last year and reached the point again where I could no longer hit a pitching wedge. I have completely lost what natural (flawed) swing I had and now every time I stand over the ball I don’t even know what I am trying to do. Head full of swing thoughts trying something different every time I hit a ball. Once again, last year I thought I would try a lesson. I just tensed up and was frankly just embarrassed at my efforts. The pro tried to give me a few exercises but I ultimately felt like they didn’t have much interest so decided not to continue.
I packed in for the winter in the Hope that when I came back this spring, my rubbish but natural swing that could at least hit a 9 iron ok may come back. Alas 3 range sessions in the last 2 weeks and I’m at rock bottom. Can’t hit a ball.

I don’t want to give up as I like the peace and exercise plus the social side of golf. And I love it as a sport. But clearly I cannot carry on like this. I’m contemplating booking a block of lessons but after previous bad experiences and a serious lack of confidence, I just wonder if it would be wasting time and money.

has anyone had a similar experience and come through the other side or am i a lost cause?

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
The whole point of the game, at our level, is to enjoy it, I am a high handicapper and I know that I don’t have the ability to achieve a low handicap, but I take great joy in the half dozen decent shots per round.

My guess is you are trying to hit it too hard, relax and swing gently, lessons will only help if you are relaxed enough to put a swing on the ball, and have time to practice what you have been taught.

Good luck, golf is hard, give it another try and if it doesn’t work out, then at least you tried ?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Play some golf without keeping score. Just enjoy trying stuff and the fresh air
(Take the pressure off) Find something to get you in play.

YouTube videos won't help unless you can be sure of what you are doing in reality. The same could be said of range sessions. They also help ingrain faults.

Find a pro who teaches in a way that suits you. Build some strong foundations.

And nuts to the score for now. You are at a stage where you're working on learning to play more effectively.

Also, advise is hard to give when no one on here has seen you hit a ball;)

phillarrow

Visit site
I would be tempted to do some research on the best pros in your area (ask on here if anyone can recommend one) and then go and see them and be really honest. Tell them that you feel you're a lost cause, thinking of packing it in, keen to try again but not optimistic etc. Then ask them bluntly if they feel they can help someone like you. If they say yes, and sound entirely confident, book a series of lessons. You're unlikely to improve at golf in one lesson unless you've already got a functional swing - one of the places round here actually has it on their website not to book single lessons.
I'll bet that if you find a pro you trust and commit to 6 lessons with him or her, you'll improve beyond your wildest dreams. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Find a pro that gives a two way service where you can give your input and he'll give his and teach as a conversation. IanM has it right. Go out and play. Hit it, find it and it it again and don't keep a tally. As a left field suggestion, try some CBD oil. I've been using some from a company called Golfers CBD since January and feel so much calmer and have picked up money from the roll up for the first time in memory

wisey10

Visit site
Cheers Phil.

I am almost certainly trying to hit it too hard. One of my many faults. I just can’t bloody stop it!

And I by no means have unrealistic expectations. I’ve just ingrained numerous bad habits that I can’t shake.

I will Probably keep going as there is so much that I like about golf. I suppose I was just hoping to hear a few stories of people who had been in the same boat but had come out the other side as a way of giving me hope. I just need to decide whether to go down the lessons route or try and relax and work It out on the course.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You won't get better watching you tube videos. You don't have the knowledge to tell which "fixes" on there apply to you - too many dependencies. What's appropriate for some can be counter productive for others. Similarly, the odd one-off lesson with different pros is going to be very hit and miss.

Best thing to do is find a pro you get on well with and commit to a series of lessons and, crucially, working between the lessons on whatever drills he or she gives you. Be patient; even if it seems to be a backward step initially - you'll probably find there are several things needing work and the changes need to be "layered on" gradually. This way at least you know there's a process and you're working on the right things.

Golf is hard but if you can get the fundamentals correct you have a solid platform from which to improve.

Listen to Kaz - very good golfer as is BobMc if he comes onto the thread. Youtube should be avoided. If you get the foundations of grip, alignment, stance etc sorted and solid then you have a base on which to build the swing from there. It will take time and it will be frustrating but that's really the only way to do it. You'll find you may be hitting ok on the range and then crap on the course. Stick to what you've been shown. We've all had that happen

D

Deleted member 15344

The first thing to always remember is that we/you play the game for fun and enjoyment , it’s not there for a pay check and if we have a bad round it’s ok , there is another round soon enough.

Golf isn’t easy though and each person will have a level their natural ability can reach and imo when they reach it they should just embrace it and enjoy their game

There will always be the lessons route , but it’s not the only route , the first thing to do is find a way to enjoy it without worrying about scores etc - maybe go to the range and just have a bit of fun hitting balls at targets , have a round on your own relaxing , there will be some article or videos about finding ways to relax

And then when you find a bit of enjoyment - see about popping to see someone about if you have any swing issues that could be a simple fix or even try things yourself - it worked for me

But always remember - enjoyment is key , don’t let the game beat you up - life is full of stress and golf should a sport for us to take yourself away from the stresses of life

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Rather than trying to fix everything, you need to get the most out of the swing you've got by little tweaks, it sounds as if you are paralyzed by analysis.
Are you anywhere near Lincolnshire?

wisey10

Visit site
Rather than trying to fix everything, you need to get the most out of the swing you've got by little tweaks, it sounds as if you are paralyzed by analysis.
Are you anywhere near Lincolnshire?

Yes, the over analysis and filing my head with stuff I don’t know enough about is certainly what has sent me on a downward spiral I think. And now I’m just really tense when standing over the ball as I’ve completely lost my confidence.

I am in Cheshire so not near Lincolnshire but thank you ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Post your swing on here. From the side and down the line. These views usually give a good idea of what's going on.

Bob mac will give you some good advice.

There has to be something drastic going on if you cant hit even a simple shot.

I've had lots of help down the years on here.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Sounds to me like you just have an open club face. If it’s a straight push thats occurring you have an in to out swing plane with an open face that’s square to target. Close the face and you’ll have a lovely little draw.

I had a slice for years and fought it as best I could until I had a lesson. The pro took a photo of me set up and showed me how open the face was… he then set me up properly and took a photo. It felt like I was trying to contort my body in very strange ways. He took another photo and wow, I just looked like a proper golfer.

I’m now used to the contorted set up position and hitting the ball straighter than ever.

Not all golf pros are equal, not all golf lessons are simple. Took me a long time to find one where a lesson paid off fairly quickly. Don’t give up, if your lofted clubs are good and you can sharpen your short game and putting, you can break 100 easily.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Oh where to start.
First and foremost Don’t put any expectations on yourself. Ave lost count the amount of times Ave had a rammel round and my first thoughts are
The clubs are Going. But I hit that one shot. Usually on the last few holes and all of a Sudden “ am the man”. It’s shows the shots are in there.
You are In Cheshire. Some folk may Be along who may know who is perfect for you re an instructor. That is the only way forward.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Golf is a journey (who had that in golf bingo?). Take a video behind the ball (down the line) and face on. Plenty of good golfers on here will tell you what's happening (and some not so good golfers too!!). Alternatively post them to BobMac privately and he'll help

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Golf is such a technical game and there are multiple ways of delivering the clubface back to the ball.....most of them different and not all of them pretty. I would simply iterate the comments of others who have advised against watching multiple you tube videos or trawling through the back catalogue of whatever your favourite magazine is for swing tips.

I have always believed that you can only have one teacher at any time for a sport so technical as golf....its just a matter of finding the teacher who's teaching methods work best for you and who is intelligent enough to realise that, no matter how much he would like you to swing it in an xyz manner, it is going to take many small steps to get you to where you need to be. Someone who tries to fix everything at once is simply going to fail you.

From your point of view though...you need to persevere with that one teacher and practise what he tells you rigorously, even if at first it seems it is not solving anything...it may well be that you need to go backwards before you can move forwards. The worst thing you can do is to jump on you tube and look for an alternative "quick fix".....a series of lessons with one person, will only be of benefit if they are sensibly spaced apart so you can practise and ingrain what you are being told....there's no point going back for lesson two if you are still not doing what you were asked to do in lesson one.

If its any consolation.....GOLF IS HARD.

Albo

Visit site
I can partially relate to you, in so far as i've been down the youtube rabbit hole and gone out with a new swing on a weekly basis, at my lowest point, I was watching youtube vid online while on the course trying to implement a swing change on the fly. Needless to say, it doesnt work. Following youtube tips you may be putting a bad fix on top of a bad fix and even if you find a video that may help, its highly likely you'll pass it by too quickly to ever know anyway.

Loads of people have said, golf is hard, it really is. Even for those on TV. Just look at the 17th yesterday.

Go back to basics, go back to your swing and commit to lessons, understand that when you do, its highly likely that you'll get worse before you get better, but keep at it. Find a pro who you can work with and talk openly with them about your game and yoir wants, trust me, they have seen bad swings, they have seen bad set ups, they have seen everything, dont try to impress them, just be you. And remember those good shots, they may be few and far between but they are the reason we come back.

To finish, im in the middle of a bank of lessons now, ive given up youtube and my swing is getting there, its not fixed, it never will be perfect but its mine and im an expert at it. I went out today and hit some horrific shots, I also hit some great shots. I wont ever get my game to a high standard, but if I can continue to work and get a bit better im happy. And on a very personal note, if I coulf only stop myself trying to hit shots that have a very very low chance of coming off, id be a way better golfer without a single swing change

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Without seeing a video of your swing, this might be wide of the mark. But the turning point for me in terms of actually striking the ball was shortening my backswing considerably. I used to swing all the way back so the club is horizontal across my shoulders (as most pros and really most people do), and I'd just lose it on the way down, over the top, shanks, toes, you name it. Then I started practising with a much shorter backswing - more like the club is pointing straight up vertically instead - and the strikes were immediately better. Probably only lost about 5 yards distance at the most as well, simply because the strike was better and it makes up for the swing being shorter.

Again, if you already have a short swing then maybe this won't help, but if not then it's worth a try. I think a lot of new players tend to overswing a bit.