More Work Required

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
As some of you may be aware, I'm an advocate of New Golf Thinking. It has been working well since I went to the Grove with GM. Played in the monthly stableford today, and I stood on the 15th tee a massive five shots under handicap. Now NGT is all about one shot at a time, not reacting to a bad shot etc and our 15th is a par five.

Drive into the left hand semi, not a disaster and classed as a maintainer for those that have looked at the Kindle book, followed by a six iron turned over a hair into the semi rough left with 105 yards left (maintainer). Pulled a PW left into a bunker. Now I've been working hard on my bunker play recently so Mental Position A dictates I should be confident. Played a rubbish shot and left it in there. Then had a double hit escaping so no points.

NGT talks about not spiralling down and so was pleased to smash a drive down the next, arguably the tightest driving hole and put a 6 iron into the green (yes it was a shortie) but then three putted from 25 feet. Net par and so no damage. Made a four on the par three 17th but at 217 yards and no shot I'm prepared to take that most rounds.

Playing the last and still two under handicap and its a par five that I can hit in regulation. Hook left into clag, and provisional followed it. Found the original but ultimately didn't score and finished level handicap and 36 points. I'm still fuming several hours later about how I let my best round of the year, slip through my fingers. There was a 41 in so I would have had to go some to win but that isn't really the point. The cut would have taken me from 11.1 to 10.something and so much closer to my target of single figures.

It's clear I let the mind wander and made some mistakes. The wedge at 15 was just a lazy swing. Bad shots happen and the two shots into the next were good but I have no idea what caused the meltdown on 18 and the three points on the last four holes. No game tomorrow so plenty of revision on Kindle me thinks and maybe an email to Messr O'Keefe. Tempted to have a few beers tonight (to top the several I simply had to have in the 19th) and deal with the hangover in the morning. Frustrated and annoyed. Bloody stupid game....and I never found the Pro V provisional on 18.

NGT is working for me (I know what some of you will say :ears: :thup:) and so do bad shots but I thought I was doing the right things. Gutted

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
I stood on the 15th tee a massive five shots under handicap.

Says it all to me - thinking that way is never a good thing imho. Let it go. It's golf - it's tough and if you think NGT is working for you why say " I thought I was doing the right things. Gutted." Either you believe it or you don't?

D

Deleted member 15344

So Golf Thinking is working for you but yet you let your mind wander off and blew up in the last couple holes ? Does that suggest it's not working then ?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
well done at getting 5 under handicap. next time, try not to look at your score as it will only play on your mind.

oh and get some more bunker practice. leaving it in there then double hitting is criminal.

the hooks on 18 happen. dont i know it!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
well done at getting 5 under handicap. next time, try not to look at your score as it will only play on your mind.

oh and get some more bunker practice. leaving it in there then double hitting is criminal.

the hooks on 18 happen. dont i know it!

Sadly, I've been working hard on my bunker play recently. That makes it all the more galling. I didn't look at my score but I just knew what I was doing

London mike 61

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Homer, we all have off days when with the best will in the world it all goes to pot .

it sounds like the new golf thinking is giving you a new way of improving your game , but like most things in golf from learning a new grip to a different swing technique, it's a journey with ups and downs . Just enjoy the journey and don't worry if it takes a little longer to embed into your game than you would like.

EYG

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If I'm going to be honest then I'd say that you're putting too much emphasis on this NGT thing.

It just seems like the latest fad in your quest for single figures as it's all you've talked about recently.

By all means use it but don't forget the other things that work for you and all the other reasons that you play golf.

It won't be one thing such as NGT that gets you to single figures, it'll be a combination of the stronger parts of your game, you reached 5 under handicap today, take the positives, hang in there and it'll come.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Don't worry Homer, look at the scores in the English mid amateur at Worksop over past 2 days, might cheer you up considering majority are cat1 players. Yesterday was brutal, hard fast greens with massive breaks, with balls coming back to you if you don't get it to the hole.

You have to get your self into these situations like you've done to put what you've learnt from NGT into practise. It's ok in your knockabouts but it's different when you know this will affect your hc if you finish strong. Next time you'll handle it different I'm sure.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What NGT should be telling you is that a round of golf isn't 5, 9, 12 or 15 holes long it's 18. If your h'cap is accurate, playing to it means you played very well and you should take confidence from that.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
If I'm going to be honest then I'd say that you're putting too much emphasis on this NGT thing.

It just seems like the latest fad in your quest for single figures as it's all you've talked about recently.

By all means use it but don't forget the other things that work for you and all the other reasons that you play golf.

It won't be one thing such as NGT that gets you to single figures, it'll be a combination of the stronger parts of your game, you reached 5 under handicap today, take the positives, hang in there and it'll come.

I've no problem with fads - whatever works on the day is good - but you are right that development comes from working on strengths and keeping working on them will come good in the end

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I don't know why you're getting so worked up. Whatever happens, happens. I think you should be taking your own advice. Not sure where I heard that... etc etc

TheClaw

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It all sounds a bit too much to me. All this "maintainer" etc what were you maintaining? What's wrong with good old course management? Working out what you can do with the lie you find yourself in and playing a positive shot to whatever target you deem appropriate?

And since you were in "mental position A", because of your good recent play, what mental position were you in for your next bunker shot that you left in there?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Homer.

Take a break from golf, do something else that stops this constant experimentation and enjoy the freedom. Come back to it later when you can go out and enjoy the experience.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Could have been worse. You could have played utter ***** and scored 24 points like I did this morning. Still walked off smiling, just one of those days.

D

Deleted member 15344

Could have been worse. You could have played utter ***** and scored 24 points like I did this morning. Still walked off smiling, just one of those days.

Yep I had a gross 80 net 75 - missed I reckon around 5 short putts but had a nice round - oh well there is always tomorrow

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer.

Take a break from golf, do something else that stops this constant experimentation and enjoy the freedom. Come back to it later when you can go out and enjoy the experience.

I'm not experimenting and playing so much better in 2014. Enjoying my golf thank you. Yes I'm having lessons but I'm not alone in that. I use NGT as it's something I got chosen to do through GM and its working for the most part (last four holes today aside) and good bad or indifferent I'll plough my own furrow and enjoy the good days and move on from the 0.1's