More Work Required

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Don't worry Homer, look at the scores in the English mid amateur at Worksop over past 2 days, might cheer you up considering majority are cat1 players. Yesterday was brutal, hard fast greens with massive breaks, with balls coming back to you if you don't get it to the hole.

You have to get your self into these situations like you've done to put what you've learnt from NGT into practise. It's ok in your knockabouts but it's different when you know this will affect your hc if you finish strong. Next time you'll handle it different I'm sure.

yeah but HJS didn't have a clown face and windmill to contend with.........

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm in a similar camp to Homer.

I started golf too late, too injured and willing to do a lot more lessons and gimmicks to try and improve. It's a difficult game to play and for Homer and me to get to where WE want to be, is hard, but because it's our hobby were willing to do all sorts to improve. I have done many lessons, in fact I've got an afternoon off and have been thinking of booking one today, and whenever my swing deserts me it falls back into a bad place that feels ok because I've been there before.

Homer seems to be an easy target simply because he does post so much and opens up on here but I feel his pain because I too want to get to single figures too and that's what drives me on. In fact Baz (Oddsocks) has just got there and I think he'd agree that it's been a long, hard and at times, quite a painful slog.

We aren't all gifted, some people are happy to drive a car and never look under the bonnet others would strip it to the last nut and bolt, please be fair, Homer is doing it his way you are do it your way - neither is right or wrong!

Pin-seeker

Visit site
I'm in a similar camp to Homer.

I started golf too late, too injured and willing to do a lot more lessons and gimmicks to try and improve. It's a difficult game to play and for Homer and me to get to where WE want to be, is hard, but because it's our hobby were willing to do all sorts to improve. I have done many lessons, in fact I've got an afternoon off and have been thinking of booking one today, and whenever my swing deserts me it falls back into a bad place that feels ok because I've been there before.

Homer seems to be an easy target simply because he does post so much and opens up on here but I feel his pain because I too want to get to single figures too and that's what drives me on. In fact Baz (Oddsocks) has just got there and I think he'd agree that it's been a long, hard and at times, quite a painful slog.

We aren't all gifted, some people are happy to drive a car and never look under the bonnet others would strip it to the last nut and bolt, please be fair, Homer is doing it his way you are do it your way - neither is right or wrong!

Good post Chris.
PS: I'd be over the moon to be playing off yours & Homers Handicap:mad:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Im with you on that. If you keep coming on the forum to tell people about your latest idea on hot to get to single figures then expect what happens. Tell me Homer, how many sets of irons have you used since October 2011. How many swing changes? How many books have you read. You come on here to tell us all about it, then when it doesn't work yet again you hate people commenting on it.

Three sets (TM Tour Preferred, G25 - impulse buy, bad decision and I25)

Not read many books actually. Prefer to learn one on with with a good teaching pro and see and feel swing changes. Learn better that way. Let me make one thing abundantly clear. I'll do what I think's right to get to single figures. Some things like linear chipping were a means to an end as I had zero short game technique, zero confidence and it was crucifying my scores. Now I have something more textbook and I trust it and all is good. Aimpoint is something that works (for me) and so not some passing fad. Same with NGT.

I am quite open to cristicism. What I absolutely resent are rude and obnoxious comments just trying to score cheap points. If someone can point out a flaw in what I'm doing and construct a sensible conversation on why I'm wrong I'll happily chat about it. I've posted swings on here and asked for critique and many of the respected members on here who know about these things gave me sound pointers. If you want to come on here and slag me off then save your time. Skin thicker than a rhino and I'll just plough on regardless.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You say you've taken critique of your swing from 'respected' posters on here, (whatever that means) but the general concensus is to be less technical, almost definitely 'try' a little bit less.

I'll give you my 2 cents even though they weren't asked for:

Even 'if' you get to single figures, the challenge is to consolidate. And 'if' you did that, you still wouldn't be happy. You'd be putting pressure on yourself to go lower. This pressure is what (imho) is holding you back ultimately.

S

Snelly

Three sets (TM Tour Preferred, G25 - impulse buy, bad decision and I25)

I am quite open to cristicism. What I absolutely resent are rude and obnoxious comments just trying to score cheap points. If someone can point out a flaw in what I'm doing and construct a sensible conversation on why I'm wrong I'll happily chat about it. ..

The flaw that I think I see is that the way you are approaching improvement seems to be not working that well and at the same time, appears to cause considerable angst. You may disagree but I would argue that with the effort you put in, you should be better than you are - no offence intended.

There are other ways to skin a cat. I am happy to come to your club for a round of golf and discuss this and perhaps we could agree that you suspend the clutter (as I would term it) for one round. No putting charts, no linear chipping, no Aimpoint etc. We just have a game of golf and without giving each shot much thought or having a practice swing, we just have a quick look, pull a club, line up and hit the shot. We could call it three hours of NGT - "No Golf Thinking". :)

I think that you might find this helpful and get something out of it. At the very least, it might give you a fresh perspective?

Drive4Show could join us perhaps? He is the same as me, just gets on with the game and is a handy player.

No problem if you don't fancy this - you can always plough on regardless! :)

Last edited:

BoadieBroadus

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
you'll get there Homer, and i know that overcoming the frustration of a few bad holes and anticipating the next great round is part of Homer's enjoyment of the game.

homer clearly loves his golf, even the bad rounds, and more than anything loves the journey to and anticipation of reaching his target.

i'm not really much of a believer of aimpoint or NGT but I'm glad to hear homer's take on it regardless.

if it wasn't for him on here i'd be the person with the most pairs of footjoys and the only person to coordinate sci flex gloves with shirts.

Joff

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The flaw that I think I see is that the way you are approaching improvement seems to be not working that well and at the same time, appears to cause considerable angst. You may disagree but I would argue that with the effort you put in, you should be better than you are - no offence intended.

There are other ways to skin a cat. I am happy to come to your club for a round of golf and discuss this and perhaps we could agree that you suspend the clutter (as I would term it) for one round. No putting charts, no linear chipping, no Aimpoint etc. We just have a game of golf and without giving each shot much thought or having a practice swing, we just have a quick look, pull a club, line up and hit the shot. We could call it three hours of NGT - "No Golf Thinking". :)

I think that you might find this helpful and get something out of it. At the very least, it might give you a fresh perspective?

Drive4Show could join us perhaps? He is the same as me, just gets on with the game and is a handy player.

No problem if you don't fancy this - you can always plough on regardless! :)
This.

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh right yeah I remember now, wasn't that a recent comment he made?

In truth the tweets (which I don't do) are probably correct. Rumour had it that the green keepers were arguing with England Golfs pin placements saying there would be 4 putts all day long on some greens. 1st day was more links type golf as you couldn't stop a ball on the green, putts circumnavigating around the cups and back down again, the 18th pin on both days were stupid, if you were short with your approach putt by 12" you found yourself 10ft away. So, yeah Windmills and tunnels would of been at home.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cat 1 golfers 3 and 4 putting from 3 foot IMO means it's a mockery, think they did water for the final day.
Was still a bit of excitement when leader by 5 with 2 to play had a quad on 17 and a playoff was needed.