More Work Required

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
But if you'd played the first four holes badly you'd have been talking up how well you mustered your game after a poor start. It's golf HJS and four bad holes anytime doesn't win a comp but you should be buoyed by the good holes and know you can do those again

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
5 under is a great position to be in Homer.
It seems to me things are going in the right
Direction and fair play.
Next time it could easy be different and
You could finish stronger,keep plugging away.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Homer......lighten up. You put yourself under so much pressure it's untrue. You are an amateur golfer who plays for fun. Don't post everything you do on here as it just sets expectations that you feel you have to live up to.

Just go out, enjoy the game and the banter and sign for whatever score you end up with, they will probably be lower if you just do that.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer, stop worrying about things, go out grab a club and smack it. Not read this NGT stuff, but if it working then why did your head go when you needed it the most? I just feel that you put yourself under too much pressure all the time. I've been on this forum for 3 years and you always seem to be looking for the golden egg that is going to get you into single figures.

Try just going out and enjoying yourself and not caring about what happens.

needmoreclub

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It has been working well.... as I said. Just more frustrating that the first time I get into contention in a comp, I didn't apply what I'd been doing so well in social games of late.

You summed it up there Homer, 'first time in contention', it does strange things to a man's nervous system being in contention, you've proved that you can do it, and the more your in that position the easier it gets. You're on the right track, just keep doing it.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Playing 15 holes well is a good thing. Handicaps are for the full 18 tho, we all have bursts of quality in a round when we play better than normal, and equally when we are worse.

What I can't get my head around is that you used to play to 4/5 as a kid (when presumably NGT etc had not yet been invented) which must have required a certain level of physical/mental dexterity and yet you have struggled to get near that in the last few years. I used to play footy to a decent level 25 years ago, and have hardly played since, but I would wager a very large sum that if I put in some training/practice I would soon be pretty good again (once the degradation in reactions/eyesight were factored in). In fact in mental terms, I think that age and wisdom would give my game a dimension it used to lack as a youngster.

Why not so so for your golf?

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I'm not experimenting and playing so much better in 2014. Enjoying my golf thank you. Yes I'm having lessons but I'm not alone in that. I use NGT as it's something I got chosen to do through GM and its working for the most part (last four holes today aside) and good bad or indifferent I'll plough my own furrow and enjoy the good days and move on from the 0.1's

Homer! NGT, Aimpoint, swing changes, one plane swing, constant lessons for years now and so forth. To say your not experimenting is a bit rich.

You post up the latest fad and how it is going to be the silver bullet but the gun keeps misfiring. You also disagree with most of what people suggest in their replies!

If you want to keep searching for the holy grail then thats your business but expect some reaction when you post about it. Personally I think it would do you a world of good to get away from golf for a bit and de-clutter your mind.

By the way, have you sorted out that bad early extension yet? That will probably be the silver bullet.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Really hope you get what your aiming for. I've read most of the posts you have done. You do seem to be a tad obsessed with the latest thing or fix. Just try relaxing and go with the flow you may be surprised.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgot to say more years ago than I care to remember, when I was a lad. I shot single figures. Before this past accident and was around 12 though old age injury etc. Good knows what it will be when I get back from smashing my leg up. But who cares as long as I enjoy it.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Learning to close when you're playing great is as much a skill as driving, putting or tying your laces. Takes practice, persistence and involves continually developing the skill at each new level of hcp. The first bit is having the game to get into position and the rest is the wonderful few inches between your ears. Sounds like you're making progress, why not keep trying?

Lots of people talk themselves out of good rounds (with a variety of excuses) because they haven't taken the time to develop those skills. Doesn't matter what technique puts you in position (NGT, NLP etc; or nothing at all - these approaches all have merit to different folks), it's what you can use to deliver come crunch time.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Homer , the NGT will take practice aswell , the next time or the more times you get into the position you were in you will be getting more & more mentally ready to deal with it , ye boys are still new to the NGT way and ok ye might know it , it will take time to perfect it , im not into NGT but id settle for 36 pts lately , if youd seen my front 9 yesterday in the ICC you would take the clubs off me , just kept plugging away and the game came back ..

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer! NGT, Aimpoint, swing changes, one plane swing, constant lessons for years now and so forth. To say your not experimenting is a bit rich.

You post up the latest fad and how it is going to be the silver bullet but the gun keeps misfiring. You also disagree with most of what people suggest in their replies!

If you want to keep searching for the holy grail then thats your business but expect some reaction when you post about it. Personally I think it would do you a world of good to get away from golf for a bit and de-clutter your mind.

By the way, have you sorted out that bad early extension yet? That will probably be the silver bullet.

NGT - put forward by GM and something to help you think clearly on the course.
Aimpoint - a way of reading the greens. Been using it for 2 years so hardly new
Lessons - last lesson on 16th June. Sadly golf has never come naturally and I am one of those that falls easily into old habits no matter how hard I seem to work. Just the way I am.

Not looking for any silver bullet. As I've said so many times I have absolute belief in my ability to get to single figures and will plough my own furrow to get there. A lot of the pleasure (NO REALLY) is the journey and whilst there may be the odd crash along the way I'll get there.

Actually having sat down and reflected, the most galling thing wasn't not winning but the fact I didn't get any points at the last. With CSS going down a shot to 69 even a point would have been enough for a cut. It's these cut's I'm after and if I pick up a pot or two then that's a bonus.

NGT is working and again, on reflection, I didn't go through my pre-shot routine or rehearse the shot in any way off the last as there was a group on the 15th tee and another waiting to go to the 7th and so I rushed. I should have stuck to what had worked.

Haven't looked at the putting stats yet but aside from a three putt at 1 and 16 I think there were 5-6 single putts and a birdie putt off the green which will count a 0 putts so Aimpoint doing just fine and dandy thanks.

My swing is working much better and I've enjoyed my game so much more than 2013 when the changes I made never seemed to bed in. The lessons I've had over the last winter have really made a difference and you only need to ask the guys at KoK or Hawkeye who has seen me up close to see that I'm doing better. In fact Hawkeye saw me in a recent comp where I was in contention after round 1, had a horror start and using NGT was back on handicap by the 14th. Yes I dropped away a tad but the swing and the clearer thinking had me right up there again and I got a cut!

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah but most weeks you still knob it round mid 80's. :rolleyes:

Maybe you have reached your limit skill wise and it's time to just sit back and enjoy it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Yeah but most weeks you still knob it round mid 80's. :rolleyes:

Maybe you have reached your limit skill wise and it's time to just sit back and enjoy it.

Not a chance. Like I said, absolute belief in my ability to get to single figures and if you give up trying to improve you might as well give up. No point having a handicap if you don't want to try and cut it

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
NGT - put forward by GM and something to help you think clearly on the course.
Aimpoint - a way of reading the greens. Been using it for 2 years so hardly new
Lessons - last lesson on 16th June. Sadly golf has never come naturally and I am one of those that falls easily into old habits no matter how hard I seem to work. Just the way I am.

Not looking for any silver bullet. As I've said so many times I have absolute belief in my ability to get to single figures and will plough my own furrow to get there. A lot of the pleasure (NO REALLY) is the journey and whilst there may be the odd crash along the way I'll get there.

Actually having sat down and reflected, the most galling thing wasn't not winning but the fact I didn't get any points at the last. With CSS going down a shot to 69 even a point would have been enough for a cut. It's these cut's I'm after and if I pick up a pot or two then that's a bonus.

NGT is working and again, on reflection, I didn't go through my pre-shot routine or rehearse the shot in any way off the last as there was a group on the 15th tee and another waiting to go to the 7th and so I rushed. I should have stuck to what had worked.

Haven't looked at the putting stats yet but aside from a three putt at 1 and 16 I think there were 5-6 single putts and a birdie putt off the green which will count a 0 putts so Aimpoint doing just fine and dandy thanks.

My swing is working much better and I've enjoyed my game so much more than 2013 when the changes I made never seemed to bed in. The lessons I've had over the last winter have really made a difference and you only need to ask the guys at KoK or Hawkeye who has seen me up close to see that I'm doing better. In fact Hawkeye saw me in a recent comp where I was in contention after round 1, had a horror start and using NGT was back on handicap by the 14th. Yes I dropped away a tad but the swing and the clearer thinking had me right up there again and I got a cut!

If it makes you feel any better, CSS going down means you needed 38 points for a cut so a point on the last wouldn't have done it for you (actually, that probably doesn't make you feel better does it?)

Furthermore, I was just short (about a foot) of 18 in 3 and failed to make par meaning I went up 0.1. I did the same on 3 & 15, missed from around 2ft on 2 for birdie & inside 3 feet for par on 8 and 3 stabbed 12. I call it "how to turn an equal PB into a 0.1 in 6 careless steps" :D

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Learning to close when you're playing great is as much a skill as driving, putting or tying your laces. Takes practice, persistence and involves continually developing the skill at each new level of hcp. The first bit is having the game to get into position and the rest is the wonderful few inches between your ears. Sounds like you're making progress, why not keep trying?

Lots of people talk themselves out of good rounds (with a variety of excuses) because they haven't taken the time to develop those skills. Doesn't matter what technique puts you in position (NGT, NLP etc; or nothing at all - these approaches all have merit to different folks), it's what you can use to deliver come crunch time.

Good post.
Unfortunately for me its a skill I'm still working on :(

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If it makes you feel any better, CSS going down means you needed 38 points for a cut so a point on the last wouldn't have done it for you (actually, that probably doesn't make you feel better does it?)

Furthermore, I was just short (about a foot) of 18 in 3 and failed to make par meaning I went up 0.1. I did the same on 3 & 15, missed from around 2ft on 2 for birdie & inside 3 feet for par on 8 and 3 stabbed 12. I call it "how to turn an equal PB into a 0.1 in 6 careless steps" :D

You're right it doesn't help!!! To be honest the chance of a new PB and any sort of cut was the annoying bit. Drive and 6 iron to 16 and three putts was a pain. Missed the green on 17 right as per normal and had no chance of getting it close. Then came the last! Came home in an ambulance...again

I drove the 1st and 3 stabbed and made a hash of 15 from 95 yards so I share the annoyance.

I saw your score on Thursday. Ouchy. What happened