More Work Required

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You're right it doesn't help!!! To be honest the chance of a new PB and any sort of cut was the annoying bit. Drive and 6 iron to 16 and three putts was a pain. Missed the green on 17 right as per normal and had no chance of getting it close. Then came the last! Came home in an ambulance...again

I drove the 1st and 3 stabbed and made a hash of 15 from 95 yards so I share the annoyance.

I saw your score on Thursday. Ouchy. What happened

Thursday was a good score when you considering I had 7 points on the front nine :D you can read the detail on the H4H Challenge thread

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think sometimes too much is made of the mental side of things. It's often a bit of a cliché to say you let a good score effect the last few holes as you got ahead of yourself etc etc. Maybe its just that we are amateur golfers and we are going to have spells of bad holes and it just happens to be the last few holes. The same applies to people starting poorly and then some magical switch is turned on and you relax and suddenly start playing well. Maybe its just that your an inconsistent golfer so it took you a few holes to hit your spell of good holes rather than some magic mental aspect.

Just my thoughts.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I think sometimes too much is made of the mental side of things. It's often a bit of a cliché to say you let a good score effect the last few holes as you got ahead of yourself etc etc. Maybe its just that we are amateur golfers and we are going to have spells of bad holes and it just happens to be the last few holes. The same applies to people starting poorly and then some magical switch is turned on and you relax and suddenly start playing well. Maybe its just that your an inconsistent golfer so it took you a few holes to hit your spell of good holes rather than some magic mental aspect.

Just my thoughts.

I like to think of golf as an endless stream of good and bad holes. Sometimes, you get 18 good holes in the same round, sometimes you get 18 bad holes, more often, you get a mixture of both.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not a chance. Like I said, absolute belief in my ability to get to single figures and if you give up trying to improve you might as well give up. No point having a handicap if you don't want to try and cut it

You may well have absolute belief but you are still no nearer to single figures since I started using the forum four years ago. Hence why I think you have reached your limit of your ability.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Actually that's not true but we won't let facts get in the way. In the last three or so years I have gone from 14-10.3 (ish in work so can't check exactly) and so withing touching distance. As I said had a shocker in 2013 and a fistful of 0,1's and climbed back to 12. On the cut trail again. Even allowing for last year I'm still three shots better off than three years ago

C

c1973

I like to think of golf as an endless stream of good and bad holes. Sometimes, you get 18 good holes in the same round, sometimes you get 18 bad holes, more often, you get a mixture of both.

That's pretty much the same way I look at it, although I think it's a mixture of good, bad and utter disasters! :)

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
NGT - put forward by GM and something to help you think clearly on the course.
Aimpoint - a way of reading the greens. Been using it for 2 years so hardly new
Lessons - last lesson on 16th June. Sadly golf has never come naturally and I am one of those that falls easily into old habits no matter how hard I seem to work. Just the way I am.

Not looking for any silver bullet. As I've said so many times I have absolute belief in my ability to get to single figures and will plough my own furrow to get there. A lot of the pleasure (NO REALLY) is the journey and whilst there may be the odd crash along the way I'll get there.

Actually having sat down and reflected, the most galling thing wasn't not winning but the fact I didn't get any points at the last. With CSS going down a shot to 69 even a point would have been enough for a cut. It's these cut's I'm after and if I pick up a pot or two then that's a bonus.

NGT is working and again, on reflection, I didn't go through my pre-shot routine or rehearse the shot in any way off the last as there was a group on the 15th tee and another waiting to go to the 7th and so I rushed. I should have stuck to what had worked.

Haven't looked at the putting stats yet but aside from a three putt at 1 and 16 I think there were 5-6 single putts and a birdie putt off the green which will count a 0 putts so Aimpoint doing just fine and dandy thanks.

My swing is working much better and I've enjoyed my game so much more than 2013 when the changes I made never seemed to bed in. The lessons I've had over the last winter have really made a difference and you only need to ask the guys at KoK or Hawkeye who has seen me up close to see that I'm doing better. In fact Hawkeye saw me in a recent comp where I was in contention after round 1, had a horror start and using NGT was back on handicap by the 14th. Yes I dropped away a tad but the swing and the clearer thinking had me right up there again and I got a cut!

There's no doubt in my mind you will get to single figures,
Just a couple of lucky bounces,breaks and a day
When the putts go in as appossed to not.
So even if you do will it actually be a big achievement?.
Actually getting there and staying there will be
A bigger one.
When I was trying to get into single figures
It really only came down to a few putts going
In as appossed to lipping out.
To get to single and staying there will need
Improvements in your all round game.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Actually that's not true but we won't let facts get in the way. In the last three or so years I have gone from 14-10.3 (ish in work so can't check exactly) and so withing touching distance. As I said had a shocker in 2013 and a fistful of 0,1's and climbed back to 12. On the cut trail again. Even allowing for last year I'm still three shots better off than three years ago

Serious Question homer, How low do you think you can go and when you get there do you think you'll take your foot of the gas and relax about your game a bit more.

I think I could get down to 6 realistically but I'd struggle to go any lower. If I got there I think I'd relax a hell of a lot more in medals as I'd feel that I wasn't chasing a cut all the time.

D

Deleted member 15344

You're right it doesn't help!!! To be honest the chance of a new PB and any sort of cut was the annoying bit. Drive and 6 iron to 16 and three putts was a pain. Missed the green on 17 right as per normal and had no chance of getting it close. Then came the last! Came home in an ambulance...again

I drove the 1st and 3 stabbed and made a hash of 15 from 95 yards so I share the annoyance.

I saw your score on Thursday. Ouchy. What happened

New PB ? Didn't you used to play off 4/5 ?

D

Deleted member 15344

3 shots in 3 years ? How many lessons in that period ?

smange

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not really read into this whole NGT thing but I did google it and one statement from the NGT website says this

Solve your everyday problems like wasting shots because: you get upset; inconsistent; feel tense nervous or frustrated; lose concentration; good on range, not on course; good front 9, bad back 9: can’t put bad hole behind you; feel under pressure; things go from bad to worse for a time; when going well get worried the wheels will come off.

So having read your OP in this thread and your responses to other posters where you are convinced that NGT is working for you and quite firmly defend that notion, I really think you need to re-evaluate your definition of working. As it seems to me that what happened to you during your round is all the things that NGT promises to help you with.

Why don't you just try going out and playing golf as best as you can on the day and stop putting so much pressure on yourself with all these techniques or fads or whatever anyone wants to call them. You obviously have some golfing ability to get your handicap down to what it is so go out and play golf and enjoy the company and what will be will be. If you are meant to get to single figures you will, if not you won't.

Simples!!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Serious Question homer, How low do you think you can go and when you get there do you think you'll take your foot of the gas and relax about your game a bit more.

I think I could get down to 6 realistically but I'd struggle to go any lower. If I got there I think I'd relax a hell of a lot more in medals as I'd feel that I wasn't chasing a cut all the time.

New PB ? Didn't you used to play off 4/5 ?

3 shots in 3 years ? How many lessons in that period ?

I think with a tighter short game which has only really come on this year and a bit of luck that 8 is realistic as a target to aim for. It bugs me when people say relax about your game. I love my golf and enjoy playing and working at it and hard as though it seems to be for some people to grasp, I have fun doing both. I'll not stop trying to get as good as I can again

New PB on the new course at Royal Ascot (my best in comps currently 78 - +8). I did shoot +2 in a comp on the old one inside the racecourse. I did play to 4/5 but not since 1984. Serious injuries and illness (both ongoing) mean that would be like winning the lottery to hit those figures again. For now, I'll take 9.4 and see how the land lies from there

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Serious injuries and illness (both ongoing)

That being the case perhaps single figures IS out of reach. I can't see ongoing serious injury (ies) and serious illness being conducive to effectiveness/robustness and sustainability of a low handicap?

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I think Homer is coming in for a bit of unfair stick here. Who is anyone to tell him he won't get to single figures or that his latest method of improving won't work and he should basically give up? If he enjoys trying different methods and looking at his golf from a different perspective then all power to him in my opinion. People love this game for different reasons which is part of its charm for me.

S

Snelly

I agree that Homer is coming in for yet more criticism but then again, the initial post screams for highly predictable, masochistic flagellation and not for the first time.

For me, this thread reads like many others on the GM forum in that this is one of the few places where something like NGT can be discussed seriously. My view is that to raise such a subject with normal golfers, in the real world, would be met by polite amusement at best. Same goes for Aimpoint, ball flight laws and the baffling incessant need for lessons and understanding swing mechanics.

None of these topics would ever be discussed by me and my regular golfing mates. Nor I bet by many golfers outside the bubble for obsessives that is the GM Forum. This really is a case of birds of a feather, flocking together.

I played golf with two fantastic guys last Thursday who have a combined handicap of 1. Not one of us has ever had a golf lesson and if I asked them about Aimpoint, ball flight laws or similar then I can tell you for a 100% fact that they a) would not have a clue what I was on about and b) would take the proverbial for the following 10 minutes.

The point being that all these gimmicks are just that. They absolutely don't make someone who is rubbish into a good player. There is only one way to improve and that is to have good basics; grip, stance, tempo and alignment, a well practiced and reasonable short game and then hard work. Keep doing the things that work. Stop doing the things that don't. Refine the process. That is how we improve.

There are no secrets. There are no short cuts.

richy

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I agree that Homer is coming in for yet more criticism but then again, the initial post screams for highly predictable, masochistic flagellation and not for the first time.

For me, this thread reads like many others on the GM forum in that this is one of the few places where something like NGT can be discussed seriously. My view is that to raise such a subject with normal golfers, in the real world, would be met by polite amusement at best. Same goes for Aimpoint, ball flight laws and the baffling incessant need for lessons and understanding swing mechanics.

None of these topics would ever be discussed by me and my regular golfing mates. Nor I bet by many golfers outside the bubble for obsessives that is the GM Forum. This really is a case of birds of a feather, flocking together.

I played golf with two fantastic guys last Thursday who have a combined handicap of 1. Not one of us has ever had a golf lesson and if I asked them about Aimpoint, ball flight laws or similar then I can tell you for a 100% fact that they a) would not have a clue what I was on about and b) would take the proverbial for the following 10 minutes.

The point being that all these gimmicks are just that. They absolutely don't make someone who is rubbish into a good player. There is only one way to improve and that is to have good basics; grip, stance, tempo and alignment, a well practiced and reasonable short game and then hard work. Keep doing the things that work. Stop doing the things that don't. Refine the process. That is how we improve.

I wouldn't say knowing the ball flight laws and having lessons were gimmicks but I agree with almost everything else.

It could be said that touring pros know these laws and have regular lesson and are of a much better standard than your mates with a combined handicap of 1.

Airlie_Andy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Some of the worlds best players are having "lessons" on a regular basis. Adam Scott is currently using Aimpoint. Alot of the top pros have mental coaches as well now.

Whilst I'm not saying these are necessarily applicable at our level I dont think you can state they are gimmicks either.

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site

I like this post. Hard work but keep it simple is the key to consistency and success.

I keep it simple when practicing/playing, but certainly don't put in the hard work, hence the handicap. I can live with that though.