More swing videos! Tell me why I'm so trash!

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I told him before the lesson that I don't get much practise time and wasn't looking for wholesale changes. Perhaps he thinks the change he gave me isn't difficult, or it was so much the obvious change to make that no other advice would have been worthwhile, I don't know.

Yeah I've seen that I think - similar to Finch's 'squash the peach' feeling of pressing the left heel back down to transfer weight I think. Like all things it's a bunch of different feels or ideas until one of them actually sticks in your brain - for every different golfer it will be a different idea that sticks.

With the squash the peach with your heel feeling, to squash it as hard as you can, you need to have your weight on the left side already and then squash it. If you try and push your left heel down with your weight to the right, you’ll end up pushing your weight even further right.

Just try it standing in your living room. If you were actually trying to squash something, you’d be loaded onto your left, (maybe on your left toes, maybe with your left foot in the air), then you’d force your heel down with max power. You wouldn’t be hanging back on the right. Put something on the floor and actually try and do it and see where your weight is when applying maximum force.

There’s lots of different ways to explain things, but I don’t think the underlying fundamental concepts are that different in the end.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the squash the peach with your heel feeling, to squash it as hard as you can, you need to have your weight on the left side already and then squash it. If you try and push your left heel down with your weight to the right, you’ll end up pushing your weight even further right.

Just try it standing in your living room. If you were actually trying to squash something, you’d be loaded onto your left, (maybe on your left toes, maybe with your left foot in the air), then you’d force your heel down with max power. You wouldn’t be hanging back on the right. Put something on the floor and actually try and do it and see where your weight is when applying maximum force.

There’s lots of different ways to explain things, but I don’t think the underlying fundamental concepts are that different in the end.
I know what you mean. There's a difference between pushing down and pushing off.

Beezerk

Money List Winner
Visit site
My ball striking is much improved over the last few months. I've tried to imagine literally hitting the ball into the ground, with this point on the face:

View attachment 51755

Impossible, obviously. But you get that nice squeezy compression feeling

Amen to this, hit down on to the ball and let physics do the rest. It has transformed my iron play from being proper scratchy to scratchy now and again 🤣

Springveldt

Visit site
Like others I'm just a weekend hacker with zero qualifications on giving advice but I'm going to anyway.

As mentioned numerous times, your swing looks all arms and very cramped. I used to suffer from fats as well with the same issues.

Now, on the backswing I make sure I feel a stretch in my left lat as I'm going back but I also feel like I'm keeping more weight on the left side to stop me swaying and reaching for width. When I took up the game again in 2016 everything you read/watched on YouTube told you to get your weight into the right heel/hip on the backswing then transfer to the left and that "stack and tilt" was the devil. Problem is for me that I'm a crappy amateur and when I do that I never ever get my weight back left in time hence fats, lots of fats. The last couple of years I've just felt like I keep more weight on the left all the way through my swing and my ball striking is miles better for it.

Next time you are at the range give it a go. Feel like more weight left and stretching your left lat on the backswing and I bet you get way more depth and much better strikes. I bet you also pick up clubhead speed with the stretch the left lat feeling.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Amen to this, hit down on to the ball and let physics do the rest. It has transformed my iron play from being proper scratchy to scratchy now and again 🤣
It's not as simple as just saying 'hit down on the ball'. I always struggled with that. I rarely ever take divots unless I've fatted it, I'm more of a clean picker of the ball. Or slightly thin. When I do focus on hitting down it sometimes produces more of a swipey motion that slices the ball (albeit with my old, flat, reaching swing).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Like others I'm just a weekend hacker with zero qualifications on giving advice but I'm going to anyway.

As mentioned numerous times, your swing looks all arms and very cramped. I used to suffer from fats as well with the same issues.

Now, on the backswing I make sure I feel a stretch in my left lat as I'm going back but I also feel like I'm keeping more weight on the left side to stop me swaying and reaching for width. When I took up the game again in 2016 everything you read/watched on YouTube told you to get your weight into the right heel/hip on the backswing then transfer to the left and that "stack and tilt" was the devil. Problem is for me that I'm a crappy amateur and when I do that I never ever get my weight back left in time hence fats, lots of fats. The last couple of years I've just felt like I keep more weight on the left all the way through my swing and my ball striking is miles better for it.

Next time you are at the range give it a go. Feel like more weight left and stretching your left lat on the backswing and I bet you get way more depth and much better strikes. I bet you also pick up clubhead speed with the stretch the left lat feeling.
I'm all for doing what's easier, if it works. I'll try not to put too much weight on my right, if any, and see if that helps this weekend.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I feel awkward doing that, like I'm asking for something for nothing - and in all likelihood he would just say let's book another lesson, which I don't really want at this stage. Would rather give it some more time first I think. If I do bump into him and he asks how it's going I'll be honest though.
You shouldn't. A good pro should listen to your lesson feedback and the issues you are having. Most I know will have a quick look for 5-10 minutes and tell you his thoughts. It's a follow up and your not trying to mug a free £50 lesson. If he can find a different way of saying what needs fixing and he can come up with a different feel, the onus is then on you to take it away and work on it. I know my club pros are always open to their students coming back with questions

sjw

Visit site
It's not as simple as just saying 'hit down on the ball'. I always struggled with that. I rarely ever take divots unless I've fatted it, I'm more of a clean picker of the ball. Or slightly thin. When I do focus on hitting down it sometimes produces more of a swipey motion that slices the ball (albeit with my old, flat, reaching swing).
Two things that have helped me:

1. Put the ball way back (~3-4in) in the stance with a lot of forward shaft lean at address. Make a half swing, maintaining that shaft angle (don't let the wrists move). Smash that puppy down into the ground. When I saw how the ball got compressed and squeezed out, with height as well, it helped get me out of the mindset of having to hit the ball into the air, and gave me faith that the club can do the work. I had to do this with my longer irons, as my 5 and 6 iron didn't fill me with confidence at all. I just couldn't visualise that amount of loft getting the ball up. Before I did this I hit a lot thin.

2. Do Rick Shiels's drill where you address the ball as normal, but then push the ball 6 inches forward, right towards the front foot. Then, put the club back in the middle, and swing as normal. This means you HAVE to shift your weight forward or you'll swing over the ball. This gives a hugely exaggerated feeling but I could honestly hit the ball so well like this that I thought about making it part of my ordinary swing 😆

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You shouldn't. A good pro should listen to your lesson feedback and the issues you are having. Most I know will have a quick look for 5-10 minutes and tell you his thoughts. It's a follow up and your not trying to mug a free £50 lesson. If he can find a different way of saying what needs fixing and he can come up with a different feel, the onus is then on you to take it away and work on it. I know my club pros are always open to their students coming back with questions

Wow me and Homer actually agreeing on something :eek: it must be true

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
During a lesson for me, my pro gets me to put weight on my left foot with shorter irons, definitely get better contact.
My problem is similar to yours, get all armsy and no body turn.
Im stiff as an old dog though 😂😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
During a lesson for me, my pro gets me to put weight on my left foot with shorter irons, definitely get better contact.
My problem is similar to yours, get all armsy and no body turn.
Im stiff as an old dog though 😂😂
I have to be honest, it seems like something 90% of golfers would have. Looking at these videos that show 'width' and a 'full body' turn - I literally never see anybody on the course who's swing looks remotely like it! Most of us just do what we can and get by I think. I think my swing in these videos actually looks fairly conventional/common.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
On a Tuesday night a bunch of us meet up at the range. Wide handicap range. Everyone enjoys the company and helps each other out when they are struggling with a certain aspect. It means range sessions are not as boring as they can be solo. At times it's frustrating on your own and can feel laborious. It's also great to get instant feedback as I can get a friend to tell me if I'm actually doing what I'm attempting to do. Everyone knows feel and real are crazy.
Anyway, one lad asked me to give him a lesson last night as he was struggling badly with his general ball striking. He's off 25. I took some videos here and done a bit of a voice over to explain what we worked on. There's some tips in there for you Orikoru on how I think you would benefit from breaking down your backswing a bit. Hit some check points on the backswing and you can use the camera to confirm you are doing it right.

I'm not a professional and he's never going to he on the tour but if I can help him in any way I will. He left absolutely buzzing with himself so it was mission accomplished in the end.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
On a Tuesday night a bunch of us meet up at the range. Wide handicap range. Everyone enjoys the company and helps each other out when they are struggling with a certain aspect. It means range sessions are not as boring as they can be solo. At times it's frustrating on your own and can feel laborious. It's also great to get instant feedback as I can get a friend to tell me if I'm actually doing what I'm attempting to do. Everyone knows feel and real are crazy.
Anyway, one lad asked me to give him a lesson last night as he was struggling badly with his general ball striking. He's off 25. I took some videos here and done a bit of a voice over to explain what we worked on. There's some tips in there for you Orikoru on how I think you would benefit from breaking down your backswing a bit. Hit some check points on the backswing and you can use the camera to confirm you are doing it right.

I'm not a professional and he's never going to he on the tour but if I can help him in any way I will. He left absolutely buzzing with himself so it was mission accomplished in the end.

Cracking idea that, makes it a bit of craic as well 👍🏻

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Cracking idea that, makes it a bit of craic as well 👍🏻

The craic is 90. Playing differnt games too keeps it fun. Trying to drive the back fence. Sling draws and massive cuts round a target out on the range. Stinger comps. Land a wedge on the 100 sign etc. It all helps.
I find it hard to motivate myself to go if I know there won't be anyone there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
And I’m not sure you’re in a position that you should mocking another persons swing troubles, even if you do think it’s just “banter”
My swing will never be textbook and I put a lot more effort into my game. As I get older I get more resigned to staying mediocre and now playing a game of dodge the s****s so I know how his troubles feel. If I posted my swing to LIV they'd not stop laughing

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm all for doing what's easier, if it works. I'll try not to put too much weight on my right, if any, and see if that helps this weekend.

On the range or on the course?

I’d definitely recommend limiting trying new things for the first time on the course as much as possible, unless you want to feel like throwing your clubs in a pond.