More swing videos! Tell me why I'm so trash!

sjw

Visit site
Have you tried dry shampoo? It's 1/3 of the price
Oh thanks I'll try that! I went to the range last night straight from work so still didn't have the spray, but I did notice that the range balls were wet enough to leave a mark on the driver provided I wiped the face each time, which also slowed me down and made me think about things more.

sjw

Visit site
It is true that I'm not used to working hard at my golf. I had a lesson in January to try a different approach, and I'm now thinking perhaps I shouldn't have - because you're right, I don't enjoy working hard at my golf. It was just a reaction to having a poor 2023 score-wise. That said, I think this swing is already better than my old one in theory, I just need to make it work.
Weren't you scoring 82 on a weekly basis? I'd KILL for that right now. Shooting ~10 over is not bad golf at all. I think you're being too harsh on yourself.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Weren't you scoring 82 on a weekly basis? I'd KILL for that right now. Shooting ~10 over is not bad golf at all. I think you're being too harsh on yourself.
I did have a laugh with my mates the other day about how I used to moan about scoring 82-83... :LOL: The fact is though I was breaking 80 in 2022 and didn't push on, I only broke 80 a couple of times in 2023 so I clearly regressed.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I did have a laugh with my mates the other day about how I used to moan about scoring 82-83... :LOL: The fact is though I was breaking 80 in 2022 and didn't push on, I only broke 80 a couple of times in 2023 so I clearly regressed.

You know that significant event that happened in your life just before then?

Maybe that's why... :ROFLMAO:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I would suggest that if you are shifting to the right, a good exaggerated feel to test that would be to feel like in your backswing, you keep the weight on your left foot. It’ll feel odd, but should actually give you a centred turn if what you normally do is shift to the right.
Is that not stack and tilt??? Nothing wrong and there was a guy on here that was a great advocate of it and a topic that was hot a few years back but has gone very quiet

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You know that significant event that happened in your life just before then?

Maybe that's why... :ROFLMAO:
I don't like to use becoming a dad as an excuse, because my wife is very generous and doesn't really complain about me playing every weekend. The only slight caveat is that I've been more tired at times, or just turning up with minutes to spare rather than having a warm-up.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I don't like to use becoming a dad as an excuse, because my wife is very generous and doesn't really complain about me playing every weekend. The only slight caveat is that I've been more tired at times, or just turning up with minutes to spare rather than having a warm-up.

I think its a solid excuse... I play far less golf than I did before Coop arrived! Both rounds and practice

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I won't be having another lesson in a long time. I'm not sure it's good for me, it's messed my head up if anything. The comments here have actually reassured me as they've all said similar to what my pro said anyway. It's just difficult for me to actually change what I'm doing, and then I get to the point of over-thinking and having a full mental breakdown (pretty much what happened on the course on Sunday).

Thsts pretty much what happens with a lot of lessons, youre trying to make a change to something youve ingrained many, many times. Ultimately you have to commit to the changes, practise regularly and hit lots of balls to engrain the new habits you want and its rarely going to be a smooth path. Until you have ingrained the change you are going to be thinking about it every swing, thats the only way to try and make it happen over the previously ingrained habits. Oh and even once you have it to the point where you think its ingrained, fully expect the old habit just to pop up occasionally as you slip back to old muscle memory

That said, if you regret hearing what the pro thinks I cant see how hearing what 50 or so on hear do is going to do to clear your mind!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think its a solid excuse... I play far less golf than I did before Coop arrived! Both rounds and practice
Well that's what I mean, personally I don't think I've played a lot less rounds. Hole19 tells me I managed 71 rounds in 2023. In 2022 it was 98 - so a few less but it's not like I'm starved of golf. :LOL:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Well that's what I mean, personally I don't think I've played a lot less rounds. Hole19 tells me I managed 71 rounds in 2023. In 2022 it was 98 - so a few less but it's not like I'm starved of golf. :LOL:

486 less holes of golf...

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thsts pretty much what happens with a lot of lessons, youre trying to make a change to something youve ingrained many, many times. Ultimately you have to commit to the changes, practise regularly and hit lots of balls to engrain the new habits you want and its rarely going to be a smooth path. Until you have ingrained the change you are going to be thinking about it every swing, thats the only way to try and make it happen over the previously ingrained habits. Oh and even once you have it to the point where you think its ingrained, fully expect the old habit just to pop up occasionally as you slip back to old muscle memory

That said, if you regret hearing what the pro thinks I cant see how hearing what 50 or so on hear do is going to do to clear your mind!
Well, as I said, 90% of them have echoed what the pro was trying to achieve so it's actually confirmed in my mind that I'm still not quite doing what he was trying to get me doing. If they'd all have said something different then it would have backfired yes. :LOL:

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is that not stack and tilt??? Nothing wrong and there was a guy on here that was a great advocate of it and a topic that was hot a few years back but has gone very quiet

Yes and no, stack and tilt is starting with your weight on your left foot and keeping it there so it is more extreme.

As shown in the video I linked to, elite players end up on their left side before the top of the backswing. I think keeping weight left in the backswing is a good feeling if you are used to shifting to the right because you need an exaggerated feel to counter what you’ve been doing wrong. It’ll feel odd for anyone that is used to shifting to the right and will also force you to turn better.

I’m not an expert, but to me it’s basic logic that if your low point is moving to the right during the swing you must be shifting to the right in the backswing, and the simplest and most consistent way to fix that is to work on not shifting in the first place rather than getting the right amount of shift back the other way. Regardless though, all the best players end up loaded into their left hand side before the downswing starts.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
My high handicap friend actually started doing this last year. When he started doing it he was exaggerating to the point his right foot was almost off the floor. He's now come down from 29 to 25! Maybe something in it. My 12 handicap mate strikes irons really well too and he very much loads onto his left side. I always thought you were supposed to transfer weight during the golf swing, rather than just putting it all on the left side straight away, but maybe opinions differ.

I emphasize the weight on left side at set up before starting backswing, doesn't mean I don't transfer weight it but i find it lessens the extent of transfer to right leg so that its not overloaded

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Well, as I said, 90% of them have echoed what the pro was trying to achieve so it's actually confirmed in my mind that I'm still not quite doing what he was trying to get me doing. If they'd all have said something different then it would have backfired yes. :LOL:

One question, when you had the lesson did you talk to the pro about what happened next, what to expect, how much practise was needed, whether there more changes to foloow etc or was it just a one and done lesson?

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
My high handicap friend actually started doing this last year. When he started doing it he was exaggerating to the point his right foot was almost off the floor. He's now come down from 29 to 25! Maybe something in it. My 12 handicap mate strikes irons really well too and he very much loads onto his left side. I always thought you were supposed to transfer weight during the golf swing, rather than just putting it all on the left side straight away, but maybe opinions differ.

I like Danny Maude’s coaching he’s last one I watched he was saying to lift your left heal on start of swing basically the opposite of Jim Ventetos swing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It can be a trail and error to see what works best for each individual.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
One question, when you had the lesson did you talk to the pro about what happened next, what to expect, how much practise was needed, whether there more changes to foloow etc or was it just a one and done lesson?
I told him before the lesson that I don't get much practise time and wasn't looking for wholesale changes. Perhaps he thinks the change he gave me isn't difficult, or it was so much the obvious change to make that no other advice would have been worthwhile, I don't know.

I like Danny Maude’s coaching he’s last one I watched he was saying to lift your left heal on start of swing basically the opposite of Jim Ventetos swing. 🤷🏼‍♂️

It can be a trail and error to see what works best for each individual.
Yeah I've seen that I think - similar to Finch's 'squash the peach' feeling of pressing the left heel back down to transfer weight I think. Like all things it's a bunch of different feels or ideas until one of them actually sticks in your brain - for every different golfer it will be a different idea that sticks.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Similar to stack and tilt , that caused a bit of argument on here before you joined

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I told him before the lesson that I don't get much practise time and wasn't looking for wholesale changes. Perhaps he thinks the change he gave me isn't difficult, or it was so much the obvious change to make that no other advice would have been worthwhile, I don't know.

Yeah I've seen that I think - similar to Finch's 'squash the peach' feeling of pressing the left heel back down to transfer weight I think. Like all things it's a bunch of different feels or ideas until one of them actually sticks in your brain - for every different golfer it will be a different idea that sticks.

Hes your club pro yes? Next time youre there have a chat with him, tell him its not quite worked out and its causing you some problems, and see if he could take a 5 minute look to see what youve not quite got right for what he was trying to get you to do

have had lessons in the past and had a pretty quick recheck with the pro because i clearly wasnt feeling the change as it had been intended which quickly got it remedied

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hes your club pro yes? Next time youre there have a chat with him, tell him its not quite worked out and its causing you some problems, and see if he could take a 5 minute look to see what youve not quite got right for what he was trying to get you to do

have had lessons in the past and had a pretty quick recheck with the pro because i clearly wasnt feeling the change as it had been intended which quickly got it remedied
I feel awkward doing that, like I'm asking for something for nothing - and in all likelihood he would just say let's book another lesson, which I don't really want at this stage. Would rather give it some more time first I think. If I do bump into him and he asks how it's going I'll be honest though.