More swing videos! Tell me why I'm so trash!

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I have no idea what I am talking about. But here's an uninformed opinion anyway... basically because it is what I have been working on as I have a similar problem and seen massively improved results

As others have said, its very armsy. As a result, you aren't getting a shoulder turn in. When you hit a certain point, you just use arms to pick up the club toward the top of the backswing. You lose some posture as you run out of room on the downswing, which will cause fats

My thought is to get my left shoulder past my right toe on the backswing (in reality it doesnt go that far, but the feeling is there). This alone massively improved ball striking and only gives me one swing thought pre shot

Makes some backswings without a club in your house and see how different it feels to get a full turn in. Be careful not to chicken wing, I.e keep the right elbow tucked

Gopher

Club Champion
Visit site
Usual caveat.. I'm no expert but in 45 years of golf have seen a lot of swings.

Yes you look very 'armsy' with not enough body rotation.

A good drill is to hold a towel under your left arm.. keep it there as long as possible and your upper body will naturally rotate and your hips will follow. Slow it down a bit and maybe introduce a tiny pause at the top of your backswing when you have fully rotated. You'll hopefully notice the difference.

Visit site
Haven’t read the posts on here yet…

My initial thought is you’re a bit upright, and your hands are possibly a bit far from your body.

Get a bit of knee bend in, and try to form less of a straight line between your arms and the club)

You basically pick your arms up on the backswing and there is zero body movement to help. Then you’re in the wrong position and it’s a game of trying to make a bunch of wrongs make a right.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just do a half swing.

You’ll get a better feel for strike and direction. Then build yourself up again from there. You just look like you’re rushing things and trying too hard.

Agree with the comments that it looks like you’re rushing to hit balls aimlessly.

The worst thing you’re doing is overthinking, there’s nothing really wrong with your swing.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
not read the other comments but didnt you see a pro for a lesson recently? why are you asking the guessers (apologies Bob if youve posted) on here rather than talking to the pro again? have another chat and maybe a refresher lesson then work on what hes teaching you seems the obvious approach

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
not read the other comments but didnt you see a pro for a lesson recently? why are you asking the guessers (apologies Bob if youve posted) on here rather than talking to the pro again? have another chat and maybe a refresher lesson then work on what hes teaching you seems the obvious approach
I won't be having another lesson in a long time. I'm not sure it's good for me, it's messed my head up if anything. The comments here have actually reassured me as they've all said similar to what my pro said anyway. It's just difficult for me to actually change what I'm doing, and then I get to the point of over-thinking and having a full mental breakdown (pretty much what happened on the course on Sunday).

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Yeah, normally I'm very much someone who focuses on the target and nothing else. Having the lesson has temporarily changed me. Just hoping I can get back to something that works - hopefully a little better than what I was doing last year - and stop thinking about it. 👍🏻
Ha ha, you've let the worms out of the can now - they aint going back in without a fight! 🥴

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I won't be having another lesson in a long time. I'm not sure it's good for me, it's messed my head up if anything. The comments here have actually reassured me as they've all said similar to what my pro said anyway. It's just difficult for me to actually change what I'm doing, and then I get to the point of over-thinking and having a full mental breakdown (pretty much what happened on the course on Sunday).
I had something similar this weekend, 2nd round after a lesson and scored a massive 15 points. Unlike you I have another lesson booked later today and will work through whatever the problem is. I (and you) are not doing what I have been taught, despite what I think I am doing. Feel and real are different and you need to get the right balance between thinking about what you are doing and overthinking things. You are blaming the lesson but have you caused some of the problems by looking at YT and tweaking what you think you are doing? Also, if you are hitting 4 balls a minute as described earlier, you are not thinking about what you are doing properly. You need to slow things down, concentrate on what you have been taught and try to execute this. You are just pumping balls down the range at the moment

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just looked very rushed. I think you need to sort what you're trying to achieve out in your head first and simplify your thought process. That will make it easier to simply focus of a good and controlled turn back and turn through

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I had something similar this weekend, 2nd round after a lesson and scored a massive 15 points. Unlike you I have another lesson booked later today and will work through whatever the problem is. I (and you) are not doing what I have been taught, despite what I think I am doing. Feel and real are different and you need to get the right balance between thinking about what you are doing and overthinking things. You are blaming the lesson but have you caused some of the problems by looking at YT and tweaking what you think you are doing? Also, if you are hitting 4 balls a minute as described earlier, you are not thinking about what you are doing properly. You need to slow things down, concentrate on what you have been taught and try to execute this. You are just pumping balls down the range at the moment
I just can't afford to keep chucking £50 at another lesson every few weeks even if I wanted to. The comments here echo what he was trying to get me to do anyway so I know what I'm supposed to do. I just don't really believe I'm capable of changing that much, due to my physical and time limitations.

The YouTube tip I mentioned was just something to get my weight onto lead side as I didn't feel I did that last Sunday. I'm actually not someone who watched loads of YouTube tips and changes what I do all the time - I only occasionally try something if it resonates with me, which is rare. Opposite is probably true to some extent, I'm too stuck in my ways of what I've been doing for the last 5 or 6 years.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
My tuppence worth, having not watched your swings, but read some of your comments above.

You just don't seem bothered/committed enough to solving any issues.
You don't like hitting balls at the range, but do it because you think it will help.
You won't get a lesson, which is just as well because 1 lesson will just fix 1 problem temporarily, when you need a series of lessons that will get rid of an issue permanently.
You've come to a forum to get generally unqualified people to give you advice, looking at your swing from one angle.

That's not a recipe for success or improvement.

That's not meant as a criticism. People have different attitudes, priorities and commitments. For you, I'm guessing it's work and family and possibly football before golf.

Golf is really, REALLY hard and it takes a lot of time, effort and commitment to improve. Sometimes you make the commitment and just don't improve anyway!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My tuppence worth, having not watched your swings, but read some of your comments above.

You just don't seem bothered/committed enough to solving any issues.
You don't like hitting balls at the range, but do it because you think it will help.
You won't get a lesson, which is just as well because 1 lesson will just fix 1 problem temporarily, when you need a series of lessons that will get rid of an issue permanently.
You've come to a forum to get generally unqualified people to give you advice, looking at your swing from one angle.

That's not a recipe for success or improvement.

That's not meant as a criticism. People have different attitudes, priorities and commitments. For you, I'm guessing it's work and family and possibly football before golf.

Golf is really, REALLY hard and it takes a lot of time, effort and commitment to improve. Sometimes you make the commitment and just don't improve anyway!
It is true that I'm not used to working hard at my golf. I had a lesson in January to try a different approach, and I'm now thinking perhaps I shouldn't have - because you're right, I don't enjoy working hard at my golf. It was just a reaction to having a poor 2023 score-wise. That said, I think this swing is already better than my old one in theory, I just need to make it work.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Thumbs up for posting the vids (if I did it I can only imagine it’d be a bit like going on embarrassing bodies & more suited to the laughter thread)
I’m in no position to advise but I watched them all and can guess your 1st shots with the 9I and 5w are examples of the shots contributing to the 96

When my swing gets erratic I tinker quite a bit (trial and error stuff) until something clicks, likely to be pre-shot balance, rotation or transition, it could be 2-3 balls, could be a bucket-full but something will eventually sort the issue but as someone who doesn't like extended range work I wouldn't suggest that approach for you

Good luck with it

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
In very basic terms, if your problem is that you’re hitting it fat, the obvious explanation is that you’re shifting to the right in your backswing rather than making a centred turn. You’d need to video from face on to really see that, but got to be a fair chance that is what is happening and it’s also consistent with what Garry in Derry has pointed out with the lack of depth, which would suggest not turning properly (therefore likely shifting to the right).

This illustrates very well and very simply what should be happening:

I would suggest that if you are shifting to the right, a good exaggerated feel to test that would be to feel like in your backswing, you keep the weight on your left foot. It’ll feel odd, but should actually give you a centred turn if what you normally do is shift to the right.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In very basic terms, if your problem is that you’re hitting it fat, the obvious explanation is that you’re shifting to the right in your backswing rather than making a centred turn. You’d need to video from face on to really see that, but got to be a fair chance that is what is happening and it’s also consistent with what Garry in Derry has pointed out with the lack of depth, which would suggest not turning properly (therefore likely shifting to the right).

This illustrates very well and very simply what should be happening:

I would suggest that if you are shifting to the right, a good exaggerated feel to test that would be to feel like in your backswing, you keep the weight on your left foot. It’ll feel odd, but should actually give you a centred turn if what you normally do is shift to the right.

I’ve been watching some Jim Venetos vids he teaches keeping weight on left side, I’ve had a tendency to sway so I tried this it does feel different and would need a bit of practice.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’ve been watching some Jim Venetos vids he teaches keeping weight on left side, I’ve had a tendency to sway so I tried this it does feel different and would need a bit of practice.
My high handicap friend actually started doing this last year. When he started doing it he was exaggerating to the point his right foot was almost off the floor. He's now come down from 29 to 25! Maybe something in it. My 12 handicap mate strikes irons really well too and he very much loads onto his left side. I always thought you were supposed to transfer weight during the golf swing, rather than just putting it all on the left side straight away, but maybe opinions differ.