More swing videos! Tell me why I'm so trash!

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Orikoru I actually think you are not too far away from hitting it great. You move well rotating through but the backswing holds you back.
If you look at your arms at the top of the swing. Try at get them to match ur shoulder plane. You can practice this feel infront of a mirror at home. You don't need to hit balls doing it.
If you get the left arm to match the plane of the shoulders it should naturally get you a little deeper and give you a chance to hit from the inside.

With your old swing you had a wee swallowing motion which isn't present at the minute. I'm sure this is in part, due to you feeling uncomfortable in the new set up closer to the ball.

You barely move your right hip back at all. For hits and giggles. Next time. Rotate your right hip as far as you can. Try and appreciate that this gives you room to swing back down into.
Do this and get ur left arm to match the shoulders and you should start to find a repeatable path into the ball. Strike will improve, speed will go up and you should get a repeatable shape.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Orikoru I actually think you are not too far away from hitting it great. You move well rotating through but the backswing holds you back.
If you look at your arms at the top of the swing. Try at get them to match ur shoulder plane. You can practice this feel infront of a mirror at home. You don't need to hit balls doing it.
If you get the left arm to match the plane of the shoulders it should naturally get you a little deeper and give you a chance to hit from the inside.

With your old swing you had a wee swallowing motion which isn't present at the minute. I'm sure this is in part, due to you feeling uncomfortable in the new set up closer to the ball.

You barely move your right hip back at all. For hits and giggles. Next time. Rotate your right hip as far as you can. Try and appreciate that this gives you room to swing back down into.
Do this and get ur left arm to match the shoulders and you should start to find a repeatable path into the ball. Strike will improve, speed will go up and you should get a repeatable shape.
According to top coach, Jim Hardy, there are two distinct types of swing, "One Plane" fairly flat with power provided by the large muscles, e.g. Kuchar & "Two plane", more upright & lots of hands, arms & hip movement. The first highlighted paragraph is a One Plane move & the second is Two plane. The two should not be mixed. This is why a lot of the instruction you read in magazines appears to conflict.

If the OP takes notice of half the stuff written in this thread he'll never play well again. My advice is to forget it all, stop posting videos, & find a pro he can trust & do what he says.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
According to top coach, Jim Hardy, there are two distinct types of swing, "One Plane" fairly flat with power provided by the large muscles, e.g. Kuchar & "Two plane", more upright & lots of hands, arms & hip movement. The first highlighted paragraph is a One Plane move & the second is Two plane. The two should not be mixed. This is why a lot of the instruction you read in magazines appears to conflict.

If the OP takes notice of half the stuff written in this thread he'll never play well again. My advice is to forget it all, stop posting videos, & find a pro he can trust & do what he says.

Well he used to do it here and he hit it like a young mo norman. Repeatable.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, but when I read detailed positions like this I just feel like it's beyond me. I can't think about all that stuff when I'm hitting a golf ball, and it would take much more practise than I'm able to put in to make it automatic.

At this stage I'm think I'm just going to dial back the swing thoughts, keep the new posture and just focus on a slow backswing keeping the club head low (to try and keep the takeaway connected and not just arms), then making sure I have my weight on the left side for the downswing. Two swings thoughts is about all I can manage. If I keep practising those I should hopefully have something that works again.

Well he used to do it here and he hit it like a young mo norman. Repeatable.
Please don't tell me that was better than what I have now, I might actually cry.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
So, I just went to driving range on my lunch break. Only hit 30 balls this time, partly due to time constraints (more on that coming in irritations..) but also taking into account the comments here about taking more time over each ball, which I did.

I focussed on getting my weight on the left side a bit earlier - not quite 'stack and tilt' but really thinking about my weight being on the left as I complete the backswing and then turning down through. I think it made a positive difference and I seemed to hit some pretty good strikes. There was a consistent fade that was a little slicey at times but (a) I was into the wind again which would exacerbate that, and (b) I prefer getting back to that one-way miss as I didn't hit any hooks or pulls with 8 iron, hybrid or 5 wood. The weight thing didn't really work for driver, but then I was only experimenting at the end by that point - I know that weight balance is different for driver anyway since you want to hit up rather than down.

Feeling a little bit more positive anyway, hopefully it wasn't just the driving range mat masking the fats. :LOL:

sunshine

Visit site
128 posts, all well meaning advice. Not sure I could cope with that much information :ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to get technical, because there are already plenty of technical inputs.

Overall, your swing has got significantly longer. Ultimately this will enable you to generate more clubhead speed leading to more distance and more compression of the ball (you'll be able to hit high irons that stop on the green better). But the longer the swing the more things can go wrong. You just need to accept that it will take time to bed in changes.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
128 posts, all well meaning advice. Not sure I could cope with that much information :ROFLMAO:

I'm not going to get technical, because there are already plenty of technical inputs.

Overall, your swing has got significantly longer. Ultimately this will enable you to generate more clubhead speed leading to more distance and more compression of the ball (you'll be able to hit high irons that stop on the green better). But the longer the swing the more things can go wrong. You just need to accept that it will take time to bed in changes.
Yeah, that's fair. Don't worry, I'm not someone that tries to incorporate absolutely every swing tip they see or hear. At the moment I'm just trying to consolidate somewhere between what I've changed and the lesson and what I can make work on the course and then see what I emerge with at the end of it!

I've definitely seen more carry with driver than I usually get in winter, but also a wider dispersion, so what you say is clearly correct. Just have to 'dial it in' now as the kids say. 😛

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, that's fair. Don't worry, I'm not someone that tries to incorporate absolutely every swing tip they see or hear. At the moment I'm just trying to consolidate somewhere between what I've changed and the lesson and what I can make work on the course and then see what I emerge with at the end of it!

I've definitely seen more carry with driver than I usually get in winter, but also a wider dispersion, so what you say is clearly correct. Just have to 'dial it in' now as the kids say. 😛

Just go spend stupid amounts on a new driver and a putter

Treat yo self original-11304-1624979761-19.jpg

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it, but when I read detailed positions like this I just feel like it's beyond me. I can't think about all that stuff when I'm hitting a golf ball, and it would take much more practise than I'm able to put in to make it automatic.

At this stage I'm think I'm just going to dial back the swing thoughts, keep the new posture and just focus on a slow backswing keeping the club head low (to try and keep the takeaway connected and not just arms), then making sure I have my weight on the left side for the downswing. Two swings thoughts is about all I can manage. If I keep practising those I should hopefully have something that works again.

Please don't tell me that was better than what I have now, I might actually cry.

Here is a short video explaining what I was talking about. I think you would see a world of difference if you could add this plus getting your hip to turn back on the backswing. You will swing on a much better path into the ball.