Masters 2019

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yep really don't rate the course, doesn't matter who the designer is. Doesn't matter how pretty the flora and fauna are for me it's not a good course.

There are a couple of holes where they've made it picturesque more through the addition of the flowers etc than the actual layout. If you can hit it long and putt well that's pretty much all you need, it requires less stragtey than all other major courses and is pretty much wide open in the most part.

I know people that have been to watch the event and said themselves without the crowds and grandstands it's pretty much a wide open field.

We're all different and that's what makes discussion here worth it. I will tune in and I will enjoy watching the drama unfold.
We’re allowed opinions, but if you think it’s not a good course your opinion of golf courses isn’t very good. 😉

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
sorry BIM, assumed by your post you knew the result nearly 24 hrs later :(

Not aimed at you mate, no apology necessary 👍 It was aimed at those who can find space for a 1 hour highlight reel because of all the old 💩 they are shovelling in. 2 in the morning would do, most people can record it.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me one of the best things about playing golf is our ability to be able to play the same course the top guys play , all the Major courses around the world that these guys play majors on we can play. Apart from Augusta - they try and make it out that its part of the "mystery" etc but the whole tournament and course for me is the sort of thing that gives golf that snob name. Its not the course i would jump to play anyway but its all a bit cringey and the hype for it is getting worse each year.
You realise you can’t get on most of the US open courses mate right, with the exception of bethpage and pebble (and I know you’ll grumble about the green fee on there).

D

Deleted member 15344

You realise you can’t get on most of the US open courses mate right, with the exception of bethpage and pebble (and I know you’ll grumble about the green fee on there).

But you can still get on a good number of them , and even the private members ones you can get on without having to know someone who wears a green jacket - even if the price is high , its still an option

Its the same every year - people expect every golfer to love the Masters and Augusta - well guess what , not everyone does - its just an opinion - some hate The Open where as i love it

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
But you can still get on a good number of them , and even the private members ones you can get on without having to know someone who wears a green jacket - even if the price is high , its still an option

Its the same every year - people expect every golfer to love the Masters and Augusta - well guess what , not everyone does - its just an opinion - some hate The Open where as i love it
You can get on Augusta with a member. No different to any other private club in America.

The open is alright. But when 50% of the field get ruled out by the draw most years it loses some points imo

Also it’s during the day, I’d rather be on the golf course

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Only bet I've had so far is Rory to get an eagle in the first round, 8/1. Thought it was a decent price, the way he's been playing.

Love the tournament, hate the lack of TV coverage, proper tv coverage. About time the committee joined the modern world.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Thought I’d get a thread on here for all things to mull over for the week.

It’s the unofficial start of the “season” for many of us here and it’s a tournament that I love to watch.

Lots to look forward to with Rory playing well and looking to complete the grand slam, Tiger being back to form, other gun Europeans in form (or recent wins) with a realistic chance such as Rose, Molinari and Casey. Some remodelled holes, the Par 3 tournament and what is just a beautiful course.

Personally, I hope that Louis Oosthuizen gets it done this week. Played well for the first part of this year and has won in 2019. Backed him at 55/1 and he has shortened into 35/1.

On the other hand I would love Rory to pip Tiger with a birdie on the 18th on Sunday. That would be amazing :eek:

Yep... Picked Louis a while back.. Also got Sneds as I think his putting is back on its game. Also got Hideki as he does pretty well and I see a story in their somewhere...

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Only bet I've had so far is Rory to get an eagle in the first round, 8/1. Thought it was a decent price, the way he's been playing.

Love the tournament, hate the lack of TV coverage, proper tv coverage. About time the committee joined the modern world.

seems reasonable, where was that?

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
For me it's the best Major - love all the hype, the course, the exclusivity along with the best players.
A lot has been said about the course and that it's not all that, but what about the greens and pin positions. Fast and undulating - remembering Tiger's wonder chip at the '99 Masters!

My pick is Paul Casey who's had a good year and on a good run of form.

Wolf

Visit site
We’re allowed opinions, but if you think it’s not a good course your opinion of golf courses isn’t very good. 😉
Of course my opinion wouldn't be good because I don't rate this one course that everyone gushes over 🙄
Not everyone has to think it's the best and I know others that think the same.

Plus the field is stronger in events like the US Open, PGA, The Open, even tour events like the Players have bigger and deeper fields.

But like I said I'll still be watching as it is one of the majors and I will enjoy the coverage to.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right - so it's an invitational I get that, but who's really missing out that would be of value to the field? To qualify you need to fulfil one of the following criteria:

• Masters Tournament Champions (Lifetime)
  • US Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
  • British Open Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
  • PGA Champions (Honorary, non-competing after 5 years)
  • Winners of The Players Championship (Three years)
  • Current Olympic Gold Medalist (One year)
  • Current US Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year) and the runner-up to the current US Amateur Champion
  • Current British Amateur Champion (Honorary, non-competing after 1 year)
  • Current Asia-Pacific Amateur Champion
  • Current Latin America Amateur Champion
  • Current US Mid-Amateur Champion
  • The first 12 players, including ties, in the previous year's Masters Tournament
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's US Open Championship
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's British Open Championship
  • The first 4 players, including ties, in the previous year's PGA Championship
  • Winners of PGA Tour events that award a full-point allocation for the season-ending Tour Championship, from previous Masters to current Masters
  • Those qualifying for the previous year's season-ending Tour Championship
  • The 50 leaders on the Final Official World Golf Ranking for the previous calendar year
  • The 50 leaders on the Official World Golf Ranking published during the week prior to the current Masters Tournament

The Masters committee then invite a series of International players that fall outside of this criteria. If you don't make it through one of those routes - you're not a huge loss to a Major championship for me. Am I missing something? Who's missing out that should be there?

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Right - so it's an invitational I get that, but who's really missing out that would be of value to the field? To qualify you need to fulfil one of the following criteria:

The Masters committee then invite a series of International players that fall outside of this criteria. If you don't make it through one of those routes - you're not a huge loss to a Major championship for me. Am I missing something? Who's missing out that should be there?
I agree with you. The top players are there on merit. It’s a major

D

Deleted member 15344

How many “qualifying events” do they host around the globe to allow others to gained entry into the Major , plus winners of certain tournaments around the world

156 play in the Open , 156 play in the US Open , 156 in the US PGA

Why should the Master be first of all restricted by invite !! And secondly to half the amount of the other three majors

Over the years some quality players have missed out whilst some guy who won it 40 years ago struggles to break 90 can still play and it’s all just US based events that allow entry - where are the guys that win on the ET or on the Sunshine Tour ?

The entry and the way they allow people to play in their Comp is outdated and imo needs to change until then imo it’s a glorified invitational as others have said

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How many “qualifying events” do they host around the globe to allow others to gained entry into the Major , plus winners of certain tournaments around the world

156 play in the Open , 156 play in the US Open , 156 in the US PGA

Why should the Master be first of all restricted by invite !! And secondly to half the amount of the other three majors

Over the years some quality players have missed out whilst some guy who won it 40 years ago struggles to break 90 can still play

The entry and the way they allow people to play in their Comp is outdated and imo needs to change until then imo it’s a glorified invitational as others have said
So you don't like the Masters (or is it just because Sky has the coverage) and have found fault in a number of things with it. If you really hate it don't watch it until BBC show it at the weekend (although I suspect you'll watch it anyway). It has always had the same qualifying criteria so I don't see what the issue is. For me is symbolises the start of the season, is a great spectacle over holes we've become familiar with over the years and there will be thrill watching the back nine on SUnday

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
The Masters is consistently the most exciting major because of the way the back 9 can be attacked. Birdie opportunities from 13-18 mean a3 shot lead can be precarious

I love it nearly as much as the the Open Championship