LIV Golf

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Aside from the Rahm speculation Puig has gone to the Fireballs with Ortiz going the other way to Torque -

Makes the Fireballs a young team but a massive amount of potential there - one for the Spaniards to fully embrace now as a national team.

Promotions event starts on Friday - I'm looking forward to following it over the weekend to see who makes it to LIV 2024 - potentially a life changing opportunity for a some players.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
National teams element is a nonsense. Such groupings are meaningless when the best arent there. A UK team would be McIlroy, Fitzpatrick, Hatton, and Fleetwood. If none of those are in it, let alone all, then who wants to support the UK D-Team for example. Its as fake as Bryson 'celebrating' winning the team thing.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Aside from the Rahm speculation Puig has gone to the Fireballs with Ortiz going the other way to Torque -

Makes the Fireballs a young team but a massive amount of potential there - one for the Spaniards to fully embrace now as a national team.

Promotions event starts on Friday - I'm looking forward to following it over the weekend to see who makes it to LIV 2024 - potentially a life changing opportunity for a some players.

Any idea why they've gone for a 72 hole event to decide who gets promoted? I know they've got a cut and then score resets etc but don't understand why they aren't sticking to their format of 54 hole shotgun start.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
National teams element is a nonsense. Such groupings are meaningless when the best arent there. A UK team would be McIlroy, Fitzpatrick, Hatton, and Fleetwood. If none of those are in it, let alone all, then who wants to support the UK D-Team for example. It’s he same could be saas fake as Bryson 'celebrating' winning the team thing.

The same could be said of every team & individual competition, in whatever sport, ever ran. How many debates have we seen about Ryder Cup selections and wild card picks? And then there’s numerous Masters, by invitation only, that have courted controversy. Was every competition after Tiger Woods injuries started coming to the fore a nonsense?

As for Gareth Southgate’s team selections… Will Farrell’s inclusion in England’s team at the rugby World Cup, and Ben Stokes playing in the World Cup in India when he was clearly too crocked to bowl and struggled for quick runs.

A team of nationals, not a national team, will spark interest, and in some countries more than others. Just because it’s a nonsense to you doesn’t make it a nonsense to the next man. If the team element flops, so what, at least something new was tried in this fuddy duddy, sport. If it succeeds, the sport as a whole benefits.

Edit: should read Owen Farrell but a bit of levity in the thread won’t do any harm.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

The same could be said of every team & individual competition, in whatever sport, ever ran. How many debates have we seen about Ryder Cup selections and wild card picks? And then there’s numerous Masters, by invitation only, that have courted controversy. Was every competition after Tiger Woods injuries started coming to the fore a nonsense?

As for Gareth Southgate’s team selections… Will Farrell’s inclusion in England’s team at the rugby World Cup, and Ben Stokes playing in the World Cup in India when he was clearly too crocked to bowl and struggled for quick runs.

A team of nationals, not a national team, will spark interest, and in some countries more than others. Just because it’s a nonsense to you doesn’t make it a nonsense to the next man. If the team element flops, so what, at least something new was tried in this fuddy duddy, sport. If it succeeds, the sport as a whole benefits.

When I first read that I had images of Elf on the rugby field

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

Edit: should read Owen Farrell but a bit of levity in the thread won’t do any harm.
It couldnt, because there is no debate that a LIV team of UK players would not be its strongest. Debate might be over 11th or 12 on the Ryder Cup, but differences are small. Those missing out are close to making it. Poulter is a million miles from Hatton at this stage.

TigerTime

Visit site
You know, I can understand Rahm's reasons for going. Likely merger/Saudi involvement in PGA Tour anyway. Guranteed pay-day and will likely be able to play PGA Tour events in the future.

However given his previous comments and there was lots of them - I've lost all respect I had for him.

It's true that when money is involved people have no morals or ounces of dignity.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
It couldnt, because there is no debate that a LIV team of UK players would not be its strongest. Debate might be over 11th or 12 on the Ryder Cup, but differences are small. Those missing out are close to making it. Poulter is a million miles from Hatton at this stage.

I refer you to para 3 of my previous post. You think it’s a nonsense, I don’t. It’s just entertainment, not the crumbling of nations or a worldwide pandemic.

In some respects it actually fills a void. Somewhere for those that haven’t reached 50 but are being battered by the new up and coming stars. And then there’s the also rans that aren’t quite good enough. Add in the different formats they are trying. And because of who has gone over to LIV, and the funding behind it, it isn’t hurting the main tours.

I genuinely don’t ‘get’ the negativity to it. There’s room for both. I’ve been to pretty much every level of professional competition, and elite amateur, as a spectator. The banner over the front gate means diddly, it’s about watching decent golf. Many of the LIV players will be better than those you’d see on the Seniors tour. Why can’t it be enjoyed for what it is, i.e. decent golfers hitting a golf ball.

RichA

Visit site
I'm not for or against LIV. I don't really care that much about pro golf.
I've just listened to the Rick Shiels podcast with Bryson DC. It was quite an interesting listen - he was very open about all aspects and I've come away from it quite liking him, which I didn't before.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Go, stay.... in a way it doesn't matter, it's pretty clear now he came to the negotiating table and if a player of that stature is even considering it, Stefan's son and No Cap will also be asking for a number. Ultimately, he might stay, but in that case there will be damage to both organisations. If only the DPWT (or if the PGAT would let them) could sort out some issues they possibly could have very attractive fields next year. Rahm isn't really the person to have regrets, his temperament is such he'll give a grumpy answer to awkward questions and move on - but I suspect he wishes he'd held off a week or 2 on the TGL announcement.

If an agreement is reached by year end, including how they co-exist or look in 2025 and beyond, I suspect TGL will suffer more withdrawals.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
I'm not for or against LIV. I don't really care that much about pro golf.
I've just listened to the Rick Shiels podcast with Bryson DC. It was quite an interesting listen - he was very open about all aspects and I've come away from it quite liking him, which I didn't before.

I couldn’t stand BDC - always enjoyed seeing him fail - how poor is that? But since his switch to LIV, and him gaining the freedom to control his own media output - I’ve done a full 180 on him. One of my favourite players in the golfing world right now - he’s working hard to develop both his team on LIV, as well as his own business interests.
Was absolutely chuffed for him when he rolled the putt in for the 58 earlier this year.

Swango1980

Visit site
I couldn’t stand BDC - always enjoyed seeing him fail - how poor is that? But since his switch to LIV, and him gaining the freedom to control his own media output - I’ve done a full 180 on him. One of my favourite players in the golfing world right now - he’s working hard to develop both his team on LIV, as well as his own business interests.
Was absolutely chuffed for him when he rolled the putt in for the 58 earlier this year.
If that's the case, if McIlroy ever joins LIV, I bet you'll have a bedroom covers in Rory posters and Rory McIlroy bed sheets :)

I wasn't a fan of Bryson, although he grew on me when he started hitting the ball a million miles. I just liked that he was trying something different, added variation and a bit more excitement to the game. Was probably more disappointed to see him join LIV than any of the others.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
If that's the case, if McIlroy ever joins LIV, I bet you'll have a bedroom covers in Rory posters and Rory McIlroy bed sheets :)

I wasn't a fan of Bryson, although he grew on me when he started hitting the ball a million miles. I just liked that he was trying something different, added variation and a bit more excitement to the game. Was probably more disappointed to see him join LIV than any of the others.

Rory lacks class mate. Doesn’t mean I don’t like to see him performing well but even if he was a LIV player I’d find his divisive outbursts tiresome.