LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
I think we can all agree, Rahm is a level headed guy.
If he’s making the move to LIV it speaks volumes about the ‘strength’ of the PGAT against LIV.
Personally, I always felt like he was open to the move, I’ve said it in here multiple times - his comments possibly made to drive his own value to LIV up when the offer came in.
Maybe they’ve agreed to review the format as a condition of his signing, with a view to making any arguments against them getting OWGR points even less plausible?
If he goes to LIV, I think it says more about the own goal scored by PGAT. I don't think LIV has finally persuaded him to come across by improving their format and thus addressing the reasons he didn't want to go before. Rather, I think he would be going because he is royally pissed off with the actions of the PGAT over the last year, and so he is now happy to go to a format he doesn't like and doesn't think is a proper golf tournament. He is being pushed away, rather than pulled, so to speak. If he is now happy to turn his back on the PGAT to show his disgust, it at least helps to earn mega mega millions in doing so.

But that is the state of top professional golf at the moment.

Unless Rahm has used his influence to radically change the LIV format before he commits to going. But I doubt that will be the case.

D

Deleted member 29109

If he goes to LIV, I think it says more about the own goal scored by PGAT. I don't think LIV has finally persuaded him to come across by improving their format and thus addressing the reasons he didn't want to go before. Rather, I think he would be going because he is royally pissed off with the actions of the PGAT over the last year, and so he is now happy to go to a format he doesn't like and doesn't think is a proper golf tournament. He is being pushed away, rather than pulled, so to speak. If he is now happy to turn his back on the PGAT to show his disgust, it at least helps to earn mega mega millions in doing so.

But that is the state of top professional golf at the moment.

Unless Rahm has used his influence to radically change the LIV format before he commits to going. But I doubt that will be the case.
I think he ego is dented that the PGAT have hung up Rory with Tiger as their poster boys.

I think he’s just throwing his toys out of the pram. Or cashing in before a potential merger. Which goes against his claims he doesn’t want or need the money.

wjemather

Visit site
The ones he made about not going to LiV and staying on the PGAT. I’m sure you can find them if you want to know exactly what was said.
I thought that's what you were referring to. That was nearly 2 years ago and he said nothing remotely controversial, so given what's happened with the PGAT since then (lots of no-cut events, gifting even more money to players in a popularity contest, etc.) going to LIV doesn't require any more backtracking than justifying staying on the PGAT.

Swango1980

Visit site
I thought that's what you were referring to. That was nearly 2 years ago and he said nothing remotely controversial, so given what's happened with the PGAT since then (lots of no-cut events, gifting even more money to players in a popularity contest, etc.) going to LIV doesn't require any more backtracking than justifying staying on the PGAT.
But he will have some explaining to do when asked how he feels playing a format that he doesn't like. And how he feels in playing golf that he doesn't consider to be a proper golf tournament.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

“I wasn’t forced into anything. It was my choice to stay. Do I think they absolutely should be and there must be a compensation? No. I just stayed because I think it’s the best choice for myself and for the golf I want to play. As I’ve said before, I already make an amazing living doing what I do. I’m extremely thankful, and that all happened because of the platform the PGA Tour provided me. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve done enough for me, and their focus should be on improving the PGA Tour and the game of golf for the future generations.”

July 2023

“Phil Mickelson respects my decision and I respect his decision. He has told me that I have no reason to go to LIV. And he has told me that several times. I laugh when people rumour me with LIV. I’ve never liked the format. And I always have a good time with Phil and Sergio in the practice rounds of majors.”

August 2023

wjemather

Visit site
“I wasn’t forced into anything. It was my choice to stay. Do I think they absolutely should be and there must be a compensation? No. I just stayed because I think it’s the best choice for myself and for the golf I want to play. As I’ve said before, I already make an amazing living doing what I do. I’m extremely thankful, and that all happened because of the platform the PGA Tour provided me. As far as I’m concerned, they’ve done enough for me, and their focus should be on improving the PGA Tour and the game of golf for the future generations.”

July 2023

“Phil Mickelson respects my decision and I respect his decision. He has told me that I have no reason to go to LIV. And he has told me that several times. I laugh when people rumour me with LIV. I’ve never liked the format. And I always have a good time with Phil and Sergio in the practice rounds of majors.”

August 2023
As I said, he didn't run his mouth off about anyone or anything, so no backtracking required.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Some guy on you-tube yesterday suggesting Cantlay,Schauffele and Finau going to Liv

The reality is, the top players will all end up going to ‘LIV’
If Rahm goes, it’s because he has an opportunity to be a stakeholder in a team - and there simply aren’t many of those opportunities left.
I’m sure Jon has figured it out, and knows it’s an opportunity not to be missed.
LIV events will end up being part of the ‘elevated event’ roster - along with select PGAT events. The Majors will of course retain their status as the pinnacle of the game.

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
As I said, he didn't run his mouth off about anyone or anything, so no backtracking required.

He would definitely have contradicted himself though on recent quotes, which would justify questioning.

'You've never liked the LIV format Jon. What's changed in the last few months on that point?'

'$300m hard cash plus equity currently worth $0 but promised it will be worth billions'

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
On the team element, I’m not 100% sure on it myself but I’ve worked with a lot of Americans and they are mad for their teams, they’ve got all the gear etc.
They must think they can break in to this market and become a game changer for golf.
I’d personally say it could be more appealing for the younger generation.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I don’t think it is speculation buddy - if it’s from Flushing it, he’s got some info - he speaks to LIV employees pretty regularly.
That gets passed on to others who may share it, but he’s often the source.
Yes. LIV certainly wouldnt like Rahm to be the one to have to say himself that he is looking at a LIV move. When you are a serious organisation like LIV, you tell a sycophantic tweeter, so that he can let the world know.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
On the team element, I’m not 100% sure on it myself but I’ve worked with a lot of Americans and they are mad for their teams, they’ve got all the gear etc.
They must think they can break in to this market and become a game changer for golf.
I’d personally say it could be more appealing for the younger generation.
The problem with this statement is that the market and growth for golf is outside the USA. If LIV continue to go to places like Australia, Korea, Japan, etc and build teams with local interest they can leave the USA to the PGAT.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The problem with this statement is that the market and growth for golf is outside the USA. If LIV continue to go to places like Australia, Korea, Japan, etc and build teams with local interest they can leave the USA to the PGAT.
All depends on whether they have serious players. Remoter regions will turn out at the start, but not repeatedly, to see yesteryears greats play exhibition or semi competitive golf. There is a market for exhibition golf, but it needs to decide that that it what it is, and not pretend to be elite competitive sport that it is not. Doing so, just makes it look silly, and a touch pathetic.