LIV Golf

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I suppose going to an event live is very different to being able to determine whether it will be an overall global success.

I've no interest in watching LIV, but to be fair I tend to only watch the big events these days, along with the Majors. Despite having no interest in LIV, if 3 or 4 of the top LIV golfers were playing a casual event at a course near me, and it was affordable, I'd still consider going for a day out. So if there was a LIV event that was affordable, I'd still consider going as long as it wasn't expensive. Whether it is a Major or a couple of top pro's come and play casually at your home course, it is a chance to watch well known professional players hit a golf ball and show you how it is done. It is rare for most people to get that chance at a course relatively local, so no harm in making an occasion of it if the opportunity arises.

So, I've no criticism of the event that LIV puts on for fans who attend these events. I've no experience what it is like, and cannot compare to long-standing tour events. But I'm sure they've spent a lot of money to put on some sort of show.

But putting on a show for the several thousand people that attend each event is only a very small part of what will make LIV successful (to the level I think they want anyway). What it really relies on is that it will engage fans who are NOT able to attend the events. It needs to get to the point that for every fan that attends a live event, there are a thousand other fans that want to tune in and watch it on TV. It seems to me that this is the area that they are not yet successful with.

However, as we all know, the PGAT scored a huge own goal. Taking the moral high ground, and then acting like hypocrites behind their players backs. They may well have acted in a way that will massively harm their brand going forward, cause more fractures in professional golf and it might be an even more turbulent time in golf going forward. Or perhaps the PGAT will strike up a deal with PIF and strengthen their brand. I don't know what will happen with LIV in that situation. Will it still run in parallel, will it end but there'll be some format changes to some events in PGAT. I heard Tiger's interview the other day, and he was talking about them looking into team golf, and how that format could be incorporated successfully. Seems to be lots of ongoing discussions, and I wonder how much clearer things will be as we get closer to Augusta next year?
Well Uttoxeter isn't too far from Lincolnshire as the crow flies!

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The global impact of LIV is massive so far, that's undeniable.

The actual golfing impact that LIV is having is more up for debate.

People do chat about it at my club, but its the guys around my age and younger who engage on social media etc more and have a better understanding of the wider golfing world than just turning sky on to watch the golf.
Well the ripples certainly spread quite wide.

The reaction by the existing tours is extreme and has resulted in major changes in both tour's schedules in 2024 trying to keep their people on-board. The move to give 10 DPWT players PGAT cards diminishes both tours to an extent as it takes from one and blocks entry to the other.

However, the main impact is when you look at the events themselves.

If you look at the LIV event in Staffordshire you will recognise many of the players - you may hate the format but it will be the only chance you will see most of these household names in England in 2024.

If you go down the road to the BetFred event at the Belfry I doubt you will recognise many of the players involved. I haven't checked which PGAT event it is up against but it will have a prize fund of 20/25% of any PGAT event - so why would people make the effort to play. The British Masters was a premium event - why would sponsors keep supporting it if the fields lack much name recognition.

So there is an impact - others will judge whether it is good or bad - but the genie is now very much out of the bottle.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
If you look at the LIV event in Staffordshire you will recognise many of the players - you may hate the format but it will be the only chance you will see most of these household names in England in 2024.
Household names in 2024, but with a Dads Army vibe, as their householdnamedness is vintage 2012.
I am not knocking that really. There is a market for Legends/Champions/Seniors tour type events outside the USA.

ExRabbit

Club Champion
Visit site
First statement, true. Some see this as positive. I don't. I see it as a huge negative as it has fractured golf at elite level more than ever before.

Second statement, it can be debated, but I'd say the golfing impact has been minimal simply by the popularity it seems to have amongst the general golfing public.

Third statement, it is all well and good about the younger audience knowing about it and talking about it. But they'll also talk about Rick Shiels or Jimmy Bullard videos on youTube. Being aware that it is there and talking a bit about it is one thing, fair enough. But would they invest their time in sitting down and watching the Majority of LIV events. It is broadcasters like Sky who pay billions for the privilege of screening sports that the masses want to watch. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think LIV offers a lot different to what existing tours offer. It is still golfers playing 18 holes in 5-6 hours. Fans still watch the same thing. The only difference is that in LIV, they all play in the same 5-6 hours. Some see that as a good thing, I see it as a horrendous thing (it would feel like watching 5-6 hours of highlights, with less build up to the situation the key golfers are facing and what they have ahead of them). And they wear shorts. I just don't see very many people at all having the attitide "I'd have never bothered watching elite level golf until LIV came along, as LIV offers me everything that PGAT or DP World Tour did not". That is, at golf level. I've no doubt people will watch LIV at the moment simply because it is free, and they don't want to pay for Sky TV. But that point is killed if Sky ever become interested in LIV, pay for the rights and then we'll see how many of those people pay for Sky TV.

I suspect people, especially younger people, would be more interested with ventures like TGL. It is completely different to elite level tours and coverage, it'll probably be packaged into relatively short episodes (maybe an hour or so long) and have a lot of features, celebrity guests, etc. It may have more of a gameshow feel to it, with professional golfers the contestants / stars
You have way too much time to post.

No. 2 on ignore.

D

Deleted member 21445

Reports saying Jon Rahms decision to be announced next week.

Feel like his decision could determine a lot of the future.

If he stays others will stay.
If he goes others will go.

I honestly think he moves the needle that much

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Great win for Joaquin Niemann.

The Australian Open is an institution of world golf.

Followed Joaco's group at Centurion for a while - he's a great player with a bright future ahead of him. Suspected he might have a win in this weekend after a strong performance last.

D

Deleted member 29109

Again, I’ll believe it when I see it but the fact there has been no refutal from the Rahm camp suggests this is happening.

There will be more that follow I suspect..

On of the LiV accounts has posted every day for the last week that an announcement wil be made today/ tomorrow/ imminently. Claiming the information is from “sources” close to Rahm.

It’s just speculation and them praying they are the one to get the timing right.

At this point given Rahm hasn’t said anything I suspect he will go. If he does, I can’t wait to see how he backtracks from his previous comments about LiV.

D-S

Visit site
On of the LiV accounts has posted every day for the last week that an announcement wil be made today/ tomorrow/ imminently. Claiming the information is from “sources” close to Rahm.

It’s just speculation and them praying they are the one to get the timing right.

At this point given Rahm hasn’t said anything I suspect he will go. If he does, I can’t wait to see how he backtracks from his previous comments about LiV.
If there is one thing we have learned it is that sportsmen and officials find it very easy to backtrack if there’s enough in it for them.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I don’t think it is speculation buddy - if it’s from Flushing it, he’s got some info - he speaks to LIV employees pretty regularly.
That gets passed on to others who may share it, but he’s often the source.

D

Deleted member 29109

I don’t think it is speculation buddy - if it’s from Flushing it, he’s got some info - he speaks to LIV employees pretty regularly.
That gets passed on to others who may share it, but he’s often the source.
Yep, he’s been saying Rahm is signing for a while now. It’s still pure speculation at this point, probably from a deliberate leak from within LiV to keep them in the news last week for various reasons. There is now way he has any actual information from within the Rahm camp.

And all of his hangers on keep repeating it. There was supposed to be a big announcement yesterday. Now it’s next week. It’s just click bait attention seeking. They are desperate to be the one talk at can claim they got the scoop.

We will know when Rahm says something.

wjemather

Visit site

What comments are these?

Swango1980

Visit site
What comments are these?
Just a quick google, I guess comments such as:

"Shotgun three days to me is not a golf tournament, no cut. It's that simple"

"There has been a lot of talk and speculation about the Saudi league. It’s just not something I believe is the best for me and my future in golf, and I think the best legacy I can accomplish will be with the PGA Tour.”

"I laugh when people rumor me with LIV Golf," Rahm said on the podcast. "I never liked the format."

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just a quick google, I guess comments such as:

"Shotgun three days to me is not a golf tournament, no cut. It's that simple"

"There has been a lot of talk and speculation about the Saudi league. It’s just not something I believe is the best for me and my future in golf, and I think the best legacy I can accomplish will be with the PGA Tour.”

"I laugh when people rumor me with LIV Golf," Rahm said on the podcast. "I never liked the format."

I think we can all agree, Rahm is a level headed guy.
If he’s making the move to LIV it speaks volumes about the ‘strength’ of the PGAT against LIV.
Personally, I always felt like he was open to the move, I’ve said it in here multiple times - his comments possibly made to drive his own value to LIV up when the offer came in.
Maybe they’ve agreed to review the format as a condition of his signing, with a view to making any arguments against them getting OWGR points even less plausible?