LIV Golf

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Being honest, I’d play in it if I could. But I’m talking from the perspective of someone that the prize money on offer from just one event would be life changing.

Hard to know how I’d feel if I was in poulter / DJ / mickelson / Westwood’s position.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Be interesting to see what happens over the next few months to players that have come out and defended playing the PGA and gone against LIV like Rory, Rahm, Morikawa etc. I'd guess also that the more experienced pros that play and move from the PGA to LIV that younger inexperienced players could potentially get the boot and have to try return to play the PGA more to possibly earn their cards and make a living.

Interesting times over the next year. It looks like it will test the Ryder cup friendships and see if they are all buddies in the end.

SyR

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The PGA have to change if they want to continue to be the dominant tour. If the money continues to flow into LIV Golf for the next few years, then the PGA will bleed more players.
I also find it interesting that morals are being brought up. Golf has had it's fair share of dodgy sponsors over the years, all the tobacco companies in the 80's, oil companies like ExxonMobil that have been linked to murder and torture in the Far East. We can't just pretend that LIV / Saudi Government are the first immoral sponsor in Golf. Also people mentioning Yemen, should also accept that UK / USA have been heavily involved in the Saudi operation there.

Jason.H

Visit site
Be interesting to see what happens over the next few months to players that have come out and defended playing the PGA and gone against LIV like Rory, Rahm, Morikawa etc. I'd guess also that the more experienced pros that play and move from the PGA to LIV that younger inexperienced players could potentially get the boot and have to try return to play the PGA more to possibly earn their cards and make a living.

Interesting times over the next year. It looks like it will test the Ryder cup friendships and see if they are all buddies in the end.

That 1st interview about LIV with McIlroy he was totally against it, then the next one I seen he was more accepting about it I think because a lot of his friends are going.

Swango1980

Visit site
That 1st interview about LIV with McIlroy he was totally against it, then the next one I seen he was more accepting about it I think because a lot of his friends are going.
Maybe he doesn't want to appear to be a judgemental so and so, and instead is trying to see it from other peoples perspective. He might have concluded that, although he decided against it himself, the guys who have joined up are probably not actually evil, arrogant, greedy human beings like some of us like to believe. He probably knows some of them quite well also, so is in a better position to know what they're like.

And, let's be honest, when he first made his comments of course he was likely to show his loyalty to the PGA. He still does. And his decision to not join LIV demonstrated that. But, I am sure he is also aware things can change in life. If a time comes where every top pro is playing LIV, he doesn't want journalists throwing his past words in his face saying he'd never participate no matter what. If he could solely decide the future of golf by pressing a button, I'm sure he'd press the PGA button. But that decision won't really be in his control if everyone gets involved with LIV.

AussieKB

Visit site
So, probably anywhere if the money is right then ! Get the Colombian Series supported by The Gulf Cartel and friends of Escobar up and running !! ?
So what is your take on the players who played in the Middle East the last few years and will be there later this year ?

or you just sweep that under the carpet ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok, I’ll throw a swerve ball in here.

We have to cast aside the source of money supporting this series as 95% of sporting disciplines accept sponsorship in some form from a Saudi source.

Is LIV/F1/boxing/football and other high profile events exactly what is needed to force change?

When F1 went to Saudi there was a lot of media coverage around human rights including women’s rights and the discussion of change was at the forefront of most interviews with the media. I haven’t followed boxing or football but again with other sports that I do follow I know they are always pushing the same “ must change “ drive.

A high profile golf league just further highlights past events and rights and will hopefully force change to happen at a faster pace.

No one can change the past, but high profile sports with global followings may influence the future changes and the rate in which these changes happen.

D

Deleted member 15344

Ok, I’ll throw a swerve ball in here.

We have to cast aside the source of money supporting this series as 95% of sporting disciplines accept sponsorship in some form from a Saudi source.

Is LIV/F1/boxing/football and other high profile events exactly what is needed to force change?

When F1 went to Saudi there was a lot of media coverage around human rights including women’s rights and the discussion of change was at the forefront of most interviews with the media. I haven’t followed boxing or football but again with other sports that I do follow I know they are always pushing the same “ must change “ drive.

A high profile golf league just further highlights past events and rights and will hopefully force change to happen at a faster pace.

No one can change the past, but high profile sports with global followings may influence the future changes and the rate in which these changes happen.

Nothing has changed at any of the Middle East states and nothing will change - they have been having sporting events there for decades and the society there beyond the rich hasn’t changed

Their human rights there are shocking as is the treatment of females and of course the LGBQT community- that’s not going to change

You only have to see social media and see how they react to Pride month and what happens when they see the rainbow flag etc

Jason.H

Visit site
Nothing has changed at any of the Middle East states and nothing will change - they have been having sporting events there for decades and the society there beyond the rich hasn’t changed

Their human rights there are shocking as is the treatment of females and of course the LGBQT community- that’s not going to change

You only have to see social media and see how they react to Pride month and what happens when they see the rainbow flag etc

Strange not much is said of the Aramco Team series sanctioned by the Ladies European tour. The ladies seem to be very accepting of the Saudi money and no one even mentions that.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Pressure was undoubtedly put on South Africas apartheid by not engaging in sport with the country, not by maintaining sporting links.

But I think the politics and morality are a red herring re LIV. Just being used by some to muddy the water, and by journalists to force headlineworthy comments from players. There is a lot of hypocrisy in the charges being levelled at the players.

The single, and key golfing issue that is a risk to the game - and I mean the professional gof as sporting entertainment, not the game as played by the other 99.99999% if us for whom pro golf is irrelevant - is the splitting of the worlds top golfer into two camps. There cannot be two world number ones. Field quality will be impaired. If players are excluded from it, the Ryder Cup is dead. If players are excluded from any majors, they would be dead, though I dont think it will come to that one - no major wants to commit sporting suicide.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site

Have a day off, you’ve always got this Holier than thou attitude where if people don’t agree with you, their moral compass is below yours.
These guys do it for a living, it’s their job, they have a right to earn as much as possible (just like us), what they have or haven’t got monetary wise is irrelevant.

Jason.H

Visit site
So is it best for the global sport to be controlled by the PGA? There are so many great golfers across the world that will never get to earn money on the PGA because the field is so limited. Only half the field earn any money and the regular winners FairPlay to them have a fortune.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Nothing has changed in the middle east and nothing will change, even though changes have happened. There's a long way to go of course, but any step in the right direction is a positive.

HeftyHacker

Visit site

I think you'd be surprised, the young Saudi's I deal with on a regular basis are much less Conservative. At some point that will filter upwards, the change in a generation is quite already quite stark according to those who have worked with them a long time.