LIV Golf

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
Makes me laugh how watching it will suddenly make us think those Saudis are a bit of alright you know
Isn’t image transfer what sponsorship is about? Having a not nice brand aligning themselves with someone nicer for a benefit against some costs.

When is the last time you have ordered a Carling? ;-)

D

Deleted member 15344

To be fair, there's a difference between the general public trying to navigate (ethically) the buying of necessities (or other much needed items) and directly taking $200m from the Saudi regime.

It’s all just whataboutary

We all know the players are doing it for the money and that they don’t care where the money is coming from

There will be some that will turn down the money because of where it’s coming from

I have been offered jobs in Saudi working for BAE and turned it down - i wouldn’t want be anywhere near involved in the country for my own personal reasons and it includes their human rights issues

I have no interest in any sporting event they are involved in and Imo it was wrong they were allowed to buy Newcastle

We have also seen how hypocritical the LET is by getting into bed with the Saudis despite the way they treat women but they ignored that for the drop of a couple million

It’s not different to Qatar buying the World Cup that many were disgusted with

I know. But some people like to.paint that picture, I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

If anything, I reckon LIV will probably force Saudis hand over the years to clean up their act. After all, it puts these atrocities firmly in the limelight. Surely if we just ignored them, they'd more than likely just continue doing what they do, whilst building a bigger hatred towards the western world? I can't imagine the opposite is true where they think "oh good, Westwood has said yes to play in our golf event, let's go and murder another journalist as he clearly accepts our shady practices"

Saudi is run by Sharia Law - they won’t change a thing just as Qatar or UAE haven’t changed a thing over the years - they will still treat homosexuality as a crime worthy of beheading , will still treat females as second class citizens. None of that will change because of a golf tour

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
If you are suggesting Phil needs the money to pay off gambling debts to shady people, then he doesn't currently have enough money as it stands? Gambling addiction, I believe, is an illness. So maybe it is unfair to call him greedy, rather his addiction causes him to gamble his money away?

P.S. I don't know what Phil spends his money on, I just interpreted from your post that he has more money than he needs and is just greedy, yet implied he wants the extra money to pay off debts.

It isn't really an illness for the great majority. Phil now says he is financially secure. His blew $40m on gambling at his peak, but his net worth is around 10 times that. He has also been caught up in an insider trading scheme, and buys lots of lavish stuff. The issue with the dodgy bookie was more illustrative of his recklessness.

He doesn't need Saudi money, he just likes money a lot.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Yet the PGA is funded by American money yes? Illegal wars over oil ..

Yeah cleaner than clean..

Those in glass houses.
and old Joe Biden is off to Saudi in the next few weeks, "amid a shift in tone towards the Kingdom". Perhaps he will get the same treatment off the journo's that the golfers are getting, then again perhaps not.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I bet it’s crippling Phil’s fragile ego to know that Tiger was probably offered more than the rest of them combined to join up.