LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Yet plenty of golfers have turned it down.....
For now. And, it will be because they are taking the safe option, not because of any moral issues. Many already have plenty of money, but they will also be aware that the PGA has been a stable tour for years, and in no way do they want to jeopardise their future, and sponsorship, and world ranking points, by going over to a brand new tour that may die a death in a year.

However, as more big name players get attracted to LIV, and if LIV continues on and becomes popular, then clearly more big names will be tempted. And, there will become a point where so many move across that everyone else will just follow. They might as well, no point in one or 2 decent players refusing to play in it, while all the other best players are earning millions on this new tour. That is, if it takes off like it wants to.

Swango1980

Visit site
It's a lot of money, but keep in mind that it has taken 12 years to do so. LIV isn't about to recoup its costs in a few events, far from it.
To be fair, I wasn't trying to back up LIVs financial model. I was simply responding to Liverpoolphils comment that Rick Shiels has not made anywhere near millions from youtube.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
For now. And, it will be because they are taking the safe option, not because of any moral issues. Many already have plenty of money, but they will also be aware that the PGA has been a stable tour for years, and in no way do they want to jeopardise their future, and sponsorship, and world ranking points, by going over to a brand new tour that may die a death in a year.

However, as more big name players get attracted to LIV, and if LIV continues on and becomes popular, then clearly more big names will be tempted. And, there will become a point where so many move across that everyone else will just follow. They might as well, no point in one or 2 decent players refusing to play in it, while all the other best players are earning millions on this new tour. That is, if it takes off like it wants to.

Maybe, maybe not. Either way I personally won't watch it. As I've said before the only way golf will 'survive' as a (TV) sport is if one or the other tour wins outright. The compromise is that it splits the player base and you end up with many more competitions where the field is diluted one way or another. I'm not averse to changes in format and it's typical of the conservative nature of golf that the PGA Tour is stuck in its ways and lagging behind. It's just a shame the money has come from where it has done. As Lou Stagner said5on Mark Crossfield's podcast, "had it been Swiss money there wouldn't have been an outcry".

Pin-seeker

Visit site
The moral outrage by the journos on everyone's behalf is outrageous.... albeit slightly funny ironic, as all the gifs and memes are leading to greater promotion. England will play a World Cup in December - the softball questions to Southgate and Kane have been shocking. Is there anywhere Kane wouldn't play for money? The answer will be the same as GMacs -"we're not politicians, we play where we're told". I would have no issue with the systematic onslaught if it was consistent. The PGA Tour killed the ET, purely because of money. Carters post-interview analysis of his interview with Norman is as ridiculous as it is unfair. There's no impartiality going into these discussions. Arguments about the cash are irrelevant - that ship sailed when the ET failed to crack down on those playing the majority of their golf in the USA. Discussions about the source of the money and human rights records are relevant - as relevant for golf as it is for F1, Football, Tennis etc. Andy Murray can hold his head high. But that's it. Didn't we just have an Olympics and World Cup in Russia? Despite Russia's abhorrent views on homosexuality etc.? The double standards are shocking, imho.

For all the commentary about the line-up, LIVs is far better than DPWT's offering this weekend. Had a look at the power rankings for the Canadian Open and in all honesty, if it wasn't for Scotty Shuffler, Thomas, Lowry, McIlroy, Hatton and Smith I'm not sure what interest I'd have in it.

As more names start to roll, as a 'product', I can't help but think that people like Beef Johnston, Andy Sullivan and even Justin Rose would be well served trying to get on board. I'd tune in every week for Andy Sullivan alone.
I just liked watching the squirm ??
Not like Poulter to be lost for words ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe, maybe not. Either way I personally won't watch it. As I've said before the only way golf will 'survive' as a (TV) sport is if one or the other tour wins outright. The compromise is that it splits the player base and you end up with many more competitions where the field is diluted one way or another. I'm not averse to changes in format and it's typical of the conservative nature of golf that the PGA Tour is stuck in its ways and lagging behind. It's just a shame the money has come from where it has done. As Lou Stagner said5on Mark Crossfield's podcast, "had it been Swiss money there wouldn't have been an outcry".

It wouldn't split the tour if the PGA didn't throw their toys out the pram.

Let them play the 8 events a year along with their PGA commitments and the tour would be fine.

They just want to be the be all and end all.

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
You prefer amoral outrage?

I bet GMac would rethink his breezy dismissal if he was invited to take part in the Northern Ireland Open, accepted then discovered it was being sponsored by Sinn Fein.

I prefer balanced, impartial reporting and journalism, and let the people decide - but that's just me. It's clear now that the parties starting to get involved are legitimizing it as a golf tournament / venture / spectacle. The issue around gender equality, homosexuality, human right records however remain a massive issue and cannot be legitimized by throwing money at it. Does this do that? The outrage is the tokenism that has been thrown at it across other sports, and it will only be token notes in December whilst the World Cup is on, without the same anger being directed at, say, Lewis Hamilton, Harry Kane, Tyson Fury (WWE), etc.

Apart from the fact that Sinn Fein is a political party and couldn't sponsor the NI Open, Sinn Fein is a perfectly legitimate party with no links or say in any other organization so see no reason why he wouldn't participate. Sinn Fein, amongst others, have been very favorable and helpful in not only bringing the Irish Open to NI venues and helping secure funding for the NI Open but in bringing the Open to Portrush. Maybe I'm missing something with regard to GMac and / or Sinn Fein?

Swango1980

Visit site
Every single golfer that is taking part in this is an absolute dick. Make no bones about it.
And, I am sure they don't really care what people think anyway. After all, given they are in the public eye, they will be aware that "normal" people will always like to judge them and take the moral high ground, without ever meeting that golfer or being in a similar position where they had to make that decision as well. So, they probably have a thick skin. They will be making a huge sum of money, and can use that to make their families and future generations very comfortable indeed, and invest in their businesses / staff / charities they may be involved with off the golf course. Their families will still love them, and their mates will still be their mates, as they are in a much better position to judge them than us. And, they, their families and friends will all understand that they do not actually support human right violations, like the sensationalist media like us to believe.

And, just to clarify, if DJ's or Phil's agent contacted me tonight and asked me to caddy for them, with me getting 10% of any prize money, I would be down their like a shot :)

TigerTime

Visit site
And, I am sure they don't really care what people think anyway. After all, given they are in the public eye, they will be aware that "normal" people will always like to judge them and take the moral high ground, without ever meeting that golfer or being in a similar position where they had to make that decision as well. So, they probably have a thick skin. They will be making a huge sum of money, and can use that to make their families and future generations very comfortable indeed, and invest in their businesses / staff / charities they may be involved with off the golf course. Their families will still love them, and their mates will still be their mates, as they are in a much better position to judge them than us. And, they, their families and friends will all understand that they do not actually support human right violations, like the sensationalist media like us to believe.

And, just to clarify, if DJ's or Phil's agent contacted me tonight and asked me to caddy for them, with me getting 10% of any prize money, I would be down their like a shot :)

Says alot about your morals.

4LEX

Visit site
Poulter would've played in Iraq under ISIS if it meant he could buy a few new Ferrari's and post some humblebrags on Insta. Funny seeing the colour drain from his face in that clip, even though the journalists have very little morals themselves!

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
This Liv golf could actually lead to the PGA and USPGA making tournaments more lucrative.
Maybe reaching 20 million for each tournament .
The rich will get richer .
At the end of the day the purse will be bigger and maybe deeper,giving lower placings more of the pie.
It makes me laugh when players like Rory say they don’t play for the money,and their morals and standards are higher,it’s all bs,most are greedy buggers.
Of course it’s not just golfers it’s in most sports.
I can’t remember there being this must condemnation when lesser known footballers were selling their soles to the Chinese football league for millions.
I’ve said it before on this thread ,human greed holds no bounds,it’s rife everywhere and will never stop.
Players saying they are doing it for their families when they are worth 30 million plus is just laughable.
Be honest and you will get more respect.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Poulter would've played in Iraq under ISIS if it meant he could buy a few new Ferrari's and post some humblebrags on Insta. Funny seeing the colour drain from his face in that clip, even though the journalists have very little morals themselves!

Rich Tory voter in likes money shocker ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
I’m not a big fan of the PGA Tour organisation, it strikes me as having some self serving, oily characters running it and isn’t exactly welcoming to newcomers, so I’m not defending here vis a vis the LIV setup.
However surely the big difference between golf and the F1 and football taking place in the Middle East is that the drivers / players are employees and most likely subject to contracts whereas the golfers are telling us they are independent contractors. Therefore they have a choice, to play or not, to partake in the series or not……and they’ve made it quite clear that the money talks over anything else.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m not a big fan of the PGA Tour organisation, it strikes me as having some self serving, oily characters running it and isn’t exactly welcoming to newcomers, so I’m not defending here vis a vis the LIV setup.
However surely the big difference between golf and the F1 and football taking place in the Middle East is that the drivers / players are employees and most likely subject to contracts whereas the golfers are telling us they are independent contractors. Therefore they have a choice, to play or not, to partake in the series or not……and they’ve made it quite clear that the money talks over anything else.

That's a very good point. Also nice to see someone not worship the PGA like they are super clean