LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Says alot about your morals.
Not really. But it says a lot about how people like to judge others without having a clue about them.

But again, what do I care if people on social media like to write their own story and context on what I believe? The people who know me have a better idea on what my morals are, and they would continue to do so if I accepted the bizarre phone call to be a caddy.

Furthermore, I know people who went to the Middle East for several years to earn much higher salaries. I must admit, I never judged them as being people who supported human rights abuses. I just assumed they did it to make more money. Saw no harm in that, still don't.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Ok then. Do you not buy a single thing from China?

Where does your petrol / diesel come from?

Just wondering how those stack up on the old morals

To be fair, there's a difference between the general public trying to navigate (ethically) the buying of necessities (or other much needed items) and directly taking $200m from the Saudi regime.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Ok then. Do you not buy a single thing from China?

Where does your petrol / diesel come from?

Just wondering how those stack up on the old morals
1. I try not to, if I can see that I have a choice.
2. Don’t know where the diesel I got at Tesco’s yesterday came from, but don’t think I can be too choosy on that one?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I prefer balanced, impartial reporting and journalism, and let the people decide - but that's just me. It's clear now that the parties starting to get involved are legitimizing it as a golf tournament / venture / spectacle. The issue around gender equality, homosexuality, human right records however remain a massive issue and cannot be legitimized by throwing money at it. Does this do that? The outrage is the tokenism that has been thrown at it across other sports, and it will only be token notes in December whilst the World Cup is on, without the same anger being directed at, say, Lewis Hamilton, Harry Kane, Tyson Fury (WWE), etc.

Apart from the fact that Sinn Fein is a political party and couldn't sponsor the NI Open, Sinn Fein is a perfectly legitimate party with no links or say in any other organization so see no reason why he wouldn't participate. Sinn Fein, amongst others, have been very favorable and helpful in not only bringing the Irish Open to NI venues and helping secure funding for the NI Open but in bringing the Open to Portrush. Maybe I'm missing something with regard to GMac and / or Sinn Fein?

The point, which I am sure an erudite fellow like yourself will have easily got, is that it is easy to deflect criticism by saying 'I am not a politician' but is also rather disingenuous. My point is that it would not be hard to provoke a political response from GMac (who I guarantee is not a SF supporter) or any of the other golfers involved, despite all their protestations that they are just simple golfers plying their trade. Maybe they need a really important political issue like tax to respond, rather than state-sanctioned assassination.

I would have some respect for a player like Bland who admitted he was near the end of his peak powers, has been a journeyman for much of his career, and wants to cash in pronto. He hasn't been NetJetting all over the world like some of the others. Some of these others guys are very wealthy by any reasonable standards, and some, like Phil are just greedy people who will never have enough money, some of which is to pay off gambling debts to shady characters.

I think much of the reporting has been impartial and balanced, although you should beware thinking you would recognise it when you get it. They report stuff that Greg Norman says which is not very balanced, that isn't down to the media, and some of the press know more about the stories that have not come out yet.

I don't approve of the World Cup going to Qatar either.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21445

Not really read this thread but for me there is no stopping this Liv Golf Tour Juggernaut, more top players are going to switch and that will bring a tipping point for the top players still left on the PGA tour.
It's only my opinion but I see a situation within 2 years (probably less) where most top players are on the LIV Tour and play the majors as Extra events.
The majors can't be majors without the major players so I don't see them being banned from playing in them if the above happens.

Only took 2 days for my prediction to start happening.
Today Bryson And Patrick.
More will follow, nothing more certain.
I expect more to announce they are playing in the 2nd event.
Im predicting Brooks will be coming across soon.

If PGA Tour bans them all, the players can just say OK, I'm fine here thanks and where does the PGA Tour go from there.
Without the top players there is no PGA Tour....

The PGA Tour may have to change its stance to coexist to survive..

Going to be fascinating to see how this plays out..

Swango1980

Visit site
Who here supporting LIV would do so if it was Putin funding it?
Clearly a situation that wouldn't happen given all the other obvious obstacles that would have that don't apply to Saudi Arabia at the moment.

Personally, I'm not supporting LIV, and initially felt it would fall flat. Now I am intrigued with the impact it may have longer term.

If, in a weird hypothetical world it was Russian funded, I would be just as intrigued. And, if more and more top players played, might even enjoy it from a golfing perspective. However, I'd still confidently dislike Putin. I wouldn't start thinking he is a great guy because I enjoy the golf he funded.

Barking_Mad

Visit site
Love a bit of whataboutery

Ethics is interesting. Hypothetical questions are paramount in ethical discussion. "Whataboutery" seems to be a way of saying "My morals are questionable, so I'll avoid the question".

I mean it's fine to side with Saudi and Putin, maybe even Trump and his golf courses. It's just money and nothing really matters....

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Clearly a situation that wouldn't happen given all the other obvious obstacles that would have that don't apply to Saudi Arabia at the moment.

Personally, I'm not supporting LIV, and initially felt it would fall flat. Now I am intrigued with the impact it may have longer term.

If, in a weird hypothetical world it was Russian funded, I would be just as intrigued. And, if more and more top players played, might even enjoy it from a golfing perspective. However, I'd still confidently dislike Putin. I wouldn't start thinking he is a great guy because I enjoy the golf he funded.

Makes me laugh how watching it will suddenly make us think those Saudis are a bit of alright you know

Swango1980

Visit site
The point, which I am sure an erudite fellow like yourself will have easily got, is that it is easy to deflect criticism by saying 'I am not a politician' but is also rather disingenuous. My point is that it would not be hard to provoke a political response from GMac (who I guarantee is not a SF supporter) or any of the other golfers involved, despite all their protestations that they are just simple golfers plying their trade. Maybe they need a really important political issue like tax to respond, rather than state-sanctioned assassination.

I would have some respect for a player like Bland who admitted he was near the end of his peak powers, has been a journeyman for much of his career, and wants to cash in pronto. He hasn't been nNetJetting all over the world like some of the others. Some of these others guys are very wealthy by any reasonable standards, and some, like Phil are just greedy people who will never have enough money, some of which is to pay off gambling debts to shady characters.

I think much of the reporting has been impartial and balanced, although you should beware thinking you would recognise it when you get it. They report stuff that Greg Norman says which is not very balanced, that isn't down to the media, and some of the press know more about the stories that have not come out yet.

I don't approve of the World Cup going to Qatar either.
If you are suggesting Phil needs the money to pay off gambling debts to shady people, then he doesn't currently have enough money as it stands? Gambling addiction, I believe, is an illness. So maybe it is unfair to call him greedy, rather his addiction causes him to gamble his money away?

P.S. I don't know what Phil spends his money on, I just interpreted from your post that he has more money than he needs and is just greedy, yet implied he wants the extra money to pay off debts.

Swango1980

Visit site
Makes me laugh how watching it will suddenly make us think those Saudis are a bit of alright you know
I know. But some people like to.paint that picture, I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

If anything, I reckon LIV will probably force Saudis hand over the years to clean up their act. After all, it puts these atrocities firmly in the limelight. Surely if we just ignored them, they'd more than likely just continue doing what they do, whilst building a bigger hatred towards the western world? I can't imagine the opposite is true where they think "oh good, Westwood has said yes to play in our golf event, let's go and murder another journalist as he clearly accepts our shady practices"