LIV Golf

AussieKB

Visit site
?‍♂️ Where did I say anyone said SA is perfect ?‍♂️

Any time someone posts something critical about the LIV tour the likes of you just post “whataboutary” - it’s as simple as that - hence why you started dribbling on about the PGA Tour sponsers or start going about people buying things from China etc etc - it’s just all whataboutary

Saudi Arabia is a disgusting regime and LIV Tour is directly funded by that regime - tbe players don’t care about that because they are being paid millions - the likes of Mickleson, Poulter and Co are happy to ignore the atrocities and human rights issues from the regime because they are making themselves very rich
Just like Rory Tiger etc...who take appearance money to play there, but no comment on them, why is that I wonder ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s a literal example of sportswashing

But you’ll just scream FAKE NEWS again

As I have stated. "sportswashing" is a myth. nobody is coming out of this thinking those saudis there alright you know. Its being used by people who are Anti LIV for reasons like not liking the format.. or change full stop and just suits the agenda to try and play a moral card...

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Why does everyone keep going

But what about this sponser

What about this country

What about this

What about that ?

I can’t recall people stating that the PGA tour is 100% perfect - in fact we have had many topics over the years about the issues with the PGA tour

Same when the ET became the DP world tour - people expressed issues

Same with when the LET took the Saudi money

I can’t see anyone saying how everything else is perfect apart from Saudi Arabia ?

But is that the only defence people have - what about …

And the PGA gets sponsership from companies - LIV tour is sponsered directly from the state - a state that not so long ago murdered a journalist - I can’t recall any of the PGA tour sponsers killing people?
It seems to me that people start talking about "whataboutery" when they can't or don't want to respond to the points that were put to them.

I was simply pointing out the similarities between the USA and SA. The fact is the players on the LIV are playing on a tour supported by one barbaric country, Saudi Arabia. Rory is playing on a tour supported by two barbaric counties, the United States and Saudi Arabia.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It seems to me that people start talking about "whataboutery" when they can't or don't want to respond to the points that were put to them.

I was simply pointing out the similarities between the USA and SA. The fact is the players on the LIV are playing on a tour supported by one barbaric country, Saudi Arabia. Rory is playing on a tour supported by two barbaric counties, the United States and Saudi Arabia.

lets all jump on the Faux outrage bandwagon

D

Deleted member 15344

Indeed they are. And they have also admitted that as well.

However, your narrative directly links them earning money as part of their profession, and their attitude to human rights issues. It is a ridiculously simplistic argument from someone desperate to take the moral high ground.

As I said before, I wouldn't judge someone who wishes to go and work in the Middle East to make money, or go on holiday. I wouldn't be silly enough to assume such an act is a stain on their morals.

And, you keep saying SA will never change anyway. Even if that were true (and you ignore all the counter arguments), then who cares whether a golfer plays or not? By your own argument, it makes no difference.

It’s quite clear Imo - the money for the LIV is coming directly from the Saudi Regime , it’s not a private company , it’s state owned and the players know that yet are more than happy to take the coin - it is there choice but imo it also means they are happy to ignore the actions of that state including the state sponsered murder of a journalist which of course Norman called a “mistake”

It’s also why the players avoided the question yesterday and looked uncomfortable when asked is there anywhere they wouldn’t play for money

D

Deleted member 15344

Just like Rory Tiger etc...who take appearance money to play there, but no comment on them, why is that I wonder ?

There has been plenty of comments in the past about many players taking appearance money from the likes of Saudi Arabia

Sorry I didn’t realise that the PGA Tour was funded directly by the US Government

Your points are valid if the conversation was about the state of the USA and the issues they have

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
As I have stated. "sportswashing" is a myth. nobody is coming out of this thinking those saudis there alright you know. Its being used by people who are Anti LIV for reasons like not liking the format.. or change full stop and just suits the agenda to try and play a moral card...

Sportswashing isn’t a myth at all

Since Khashoggi got butchered Saudi Arabia have pumped billions into the world of sport to clean up their image with the end goal of encouraging people to visit

There will have been negativity around almost every initial play they’ve done

Saudi events on the European tour/LET - like you say no one really mentions that - job done

WWE - massive negative press around the initial deal it’s now just an accepted part of the schedule and for wrestling fans enjoyable

Boxing - again massive complaints when Joshua was over there and Fury but people will soon accept it as the norm and probably start heading over there if Fury v Joshua fought

F1 - same thing bad press but it’ll soon be part of the F1 calendar and will barely get a headline

LIVGolf the furore will die down and in a few years if successful it’ll be positive press from the sports writers

Newcastle - massive press about the takeover when they win their first league it might get mentioned but 5 or 10 years and a few league titles and champions league campaigns like City… it’ll probably be talked up in a good light like all the positivity city group get around the investment in Manchester

That is Sportswashing and all the Middle East countries have done it expertly with still questionable human right exercises

People saying Sportswashing is a myth because all the negativity is brought to the front… yes but it soon becomes less noise and Saudi Arabia are left with great sporting events and a tourism boost and the tired journos have moved onto the next problem it doesn’t sit right with me that any country can use sport as a pawn in this way

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I suspect there are a good few on here who quite admire the way that KSA is ruled.

Everyone but straight adult men are considered second class citizens and they don’t mind a bit of corporal and capital punishment.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I suspect there are a good few on here who quite admire the way that KSA is ruled.

Everyone but straight adult men are considered second class citizens and they don’t mind a bit of corporal and capital punishment.

Well the majority of the country have that view in terms of the way they want their country run.

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think the big difference with tennis is that both Men and Women play simultaneously within the same overall tournament. So, someone tunes in to watch Wimbledon, US Open, etc. they could just as easily be watching a mens match or womens match when they tune in. You could argue the same with athletics. When we tune in to watch the Olympics, there will be both male and female events. In tennis, it is also probably harder for the viewer to distinguish between the physical advantages men have over women. Maybe they do in serving, but powerful serves and aces probably are not overly appealing for viewers anyway.

However, with other sports men and women do not play together. Perhaps if, for example, Masters weekend had both the mens event and womens event (along with all other big tournaments), then the ladies game would get more exposure. However, probably unlikely due to the length of time it takes to play golf (and the fact the tournament is only 4 days), and no one would want them to played completely in parallel as they'd be competing for viewing time. Could maybe do it for football easier. The World Cup could feature both the mens and womens game during the month. No doubt the mens game would still be more popular (certainly to begin with), but I'm sure more would also tune in to watch some of the ladies games, and it could grow from there.
Well I'm going to watch the England Ladies Euros at the Amex stadium on the 11th July!
Getting quite excited! ?️?Football that is.

D

Deleted member 1147

Just seen James Wiltshire’s uploaded a video of DJs practice or pro am round 110k views in 12 hours
All of them kids, who've never watched golf before, but because it's on the interweb they now love it?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of them kids, who've never watched golf before, but because it's on the interweb they now love it?

I was listening to Rick shiels podcast yesterday and he said something ive never even heard of or considered before. Just shows how much golf has changed.

There are people out there that consider themselves golfers, who have never set foot on a course. Own top clubs and just play at the range.. that to them is golf..

now I know purists wont see that as golf but its just how the game is evolving and changing.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There are people out there that consider themselves golfers, who have never set foot on a course. Own top clubs and just play at the range.. that to them is golf..

That’s been the case in Japan and South Korea for decades. It’s not a new thing at all.