LIV Golf

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
the PGA only cares about its brand , it doesnt give a rats about the players only that they are the best they can get on board

they want to be the top tour and a monopoly. They dont want to share talent

im glad the LIV is causing them a headache. maybe they will take note and change a bit

I was just curious why the PGAT would choose the disciplinary route to punish players who rock up for an LIV event

Then I figured much like ‘protecting the field’ they’ll have a duty to keep all aspects of their tour as the No1 for all members… but that discipline will only work as a threat, once its actually administered the tour is retaining its members attendance by tacit force rather than willing participants

Might there even be an opportunity for the ET to seize the day and partner with LIV, offering the worlds best an alternative home Tour and end the (ever growing) PGAT dominance by ending the ‘special relationship’ :eek:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was just curious why the PGAT would choose the disciplinary route to punish players who rock up for an LIV event

Then I figured much like ‘protecting the field’ they’ll have a duty to keep all aspects of their tour as the No1 for all members… but that discipline will only work as a threat, once its actually administered the tour is retaining its members attendance by tacit force rather than willing participants

Might there even be an opportunity for the ET to seize the day and partner with LIV, offering the worlds best an alternative home Tour and end the (ever growing) PGAT dominance by ending the ‘special relationship’ :eek:

If they go too hard on punishment (like rumoured year ban) I think the players could stick their fingers up at the tour. Nobody likes being told what they can and can't do .. take the easy money and play when they want

If they embraced this and said play your Liv tour but you still need to keep your card by doing X amount of events etc I think there is more than enough room

D

Deleted member 1147

When, as independant contractors, they signed the PGA tour contracts, they agreed to whatever the PGA stated, willingly.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
If they go too hard on punishment (like rumoured year ban) I think the players could stick their fingers up at the tour. Nobody likes being told what they can and can't do .. take the easy money and play when they want

If they embraced this and said play your Liv tour but you still need to keep your card by doing X amount of events etc I think there is more than enough room

The problem that could lead to is that, if the bigger names decided to play a minimum amount of PGA Tour events, played some lucrative LIV events and the Majors, sponsors, TV companies etc are going to get hacked off with reduced fields for a chunk of the year. That could result in tournaments disappearing or revenues being cut. As such, they have to stick to the curent mantra of PGA or nothing.

D

Deleted member 1147

are these "independent" contractors allowed to play the ET anytime?
Yes, because it isn't going to play in North America.
They signed contracts to say they wouldn't play on tours based in the PGA's backyard.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
No....they have to ask for a release from the PGA....

re releases:
It might be common knowledge to some but I only found out recently that a ‘release’ is usually used by the pgat as a bargaining tool (element of control :eek:)
i.e if we say yes to a release then you need to commit to play x number of pgat events not previously played within the next x seasons

its now clear to me why we see a big name randomly appear at an event where they normally wouldn’t get out of bed for

AussieKB

Visit site
re releases:
It might be common knowledge to some but I only found out recently that a ‘release’ is usually used by the pgat as a bargaining tool (element of control :eek:)
i.e if we say yes to a release then you need to commit to play x number of pgat events not previously played within the next x seasons

its now clear to me why we see a big name randomly appear at an event where they normally wouldn’t get out of bed for
So true, it is how they get the players to play certain events that are lacking star players.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
re releases:

I would have loved to see tiger turn up at LIV.. let him have a buggy and everything (will they be allowed shorts??) anyways imagine if he had gone... no way would the PGA ban him... without tiger the PGA wouldnt be what it is.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I would have loved to see tiger turn up at LIV.. let him have a buggy and everything (will they be allowed shorts??) anyways imagine if he had gone... no way would the PGA ban him... without tiger the PGA wouldnt be what it is.

Not allowed shorts on comp days but can wear them before the official tournament starts