LIV Golf

Swango1980

Visit site
Not sure they are taking in “millions” - they get a lot of sponsorship and partnerships but it’s nowhere near millions or the sort of funds that help someone retire early
Just did a quick search, and quote following:

"The $1.76 million forecast is only based on YouTube advertising revenue. Meaning, Rick Shiels Golf's net worth could actually be much higher. When we consider many income sources, Rick Shiels Golf's net worth could be as high as $2.46 million."

This range of numbers seem to be quoted quite frequently. There are other sites that suggest he could have a net worth of tens of millions, although I probably don't trust that. Certainly not without researching more. However, the numbers seem to suggest you are probably plainly incorrect in saying "it's nowhere near millions". I also reckon I could retire on that sort of money.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
The Saudis do not care about making money from this. They have more money than just about everyone else on the planet combined.

They could have the highest revenue generating channel on YT and it wouldn’t even register with them.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Just did a quick search, and quote following:

"The $1.76 million forecast is only based on YouTube advertising revenue. Meaning, Rick Shiels Golf's net worth could actually be much higher. When we consider many income sources, Rick Shiels Golf's net worth could be as high as $2.46 million."

This range of numbers seem to be quoted quite frequently. There are other sites that suggest he could have a net worth of tens of millions, although I probably don't trust that. Certainly not without researching more. However, the numbers seem to suggest you are probably plainly incorrect in saying "it's nowhere near millions". I also reckon I could retire on that sort of money.
He had 600 grand in the bank at the end of his 2020 accounts period, and hes grown massively since then.

larmen

Head Pro
Visit site
The LIV golf banners taking up a lot of screen space on this forum at the moment. It wasn't like this yesterday, I think.

Brads

Visit site
Week their advert takes up half my screen on my phone trying to read this thread so they aren’t half throwing the cash about it seems

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Great to see that Phil Mickelson after having “time to reflect“ during his absence from golf, is now back and presumably “the man he wants to be”……considerably richer and just as hypocritical. At least if anyone had any doubts about his morals and sincerity they can now be banished.

AussieKB

Visit site
Is this not all about “growing the game” and bringing a new audience to the game ?

Expanding the sport to areas not seen before ?

The sport desperately needing new people ?

You are both golfers - you watch golf , you play golf - how is it growing the game ?

what new people will it bring to the game - you two are not the new audience - you are already in the sport

And just because it’s not on a subscription channel doesn’t mean it’s suddenly hugely accessible to people - there are still many people out there that don’t have tellys that connect to you tube , don’t have broadband at a level that makes streaming work , don’t want to sit in front of a PC watching something

The biggest loss for golf was losing the majors ( mainly the Open ) from terrestrial Telly - the viewing numbers dropped dramatically, and even now the highlight shows get more viewers than the main shows on sky

But people watch them because they are the pinnacle events of the sport , the events with all the best players in it , the ones that crown the best golfers in the world

How many “new” audience do you really think are going to tune into YouTube on a Thursday during the day to watch some unknowns and the odd old stager play golf ?

Some may tune it because it’s a bit car crash and embarrassing and even the crowds at the event will mainly all be freebies now because they just can’t sell any tickets

It’s all very similar to the Kerry Packer WSC - it may well force the PGA to make some changes but ultimately it’s going to fail
WSC did not fail, just ask the players.

AussieKB

Visit site
But what are those hours ?

Little snippets - interviews etc

How many sit down and watch 4/5 hours of sport in one go ?

And why will people who have never watched golf before decide to watch LIV golf - it’s still sitting there watching 4/5 hours of golf , just because it’s 3 days instead of 4 doesn’t change much - what’s the extra appeal that will get people to watch it when previously they had no interest?

Golf has tried to find a shorter format to get people in , add a bit of “razzmatazz” and it didn’t work

You aren’t watching the current best more relevant golfers , people know that any golfer that is playing is purely there because of the huge amount of money they are being given

The British Masters - 30k tickets sold out very quickly , same every year , LIV golf - they can’t give them away and it’s now got to the stage where they are offering postcodes 100 miles away free tickets.

There is a budget of £6bn I believe for the first 4 years , that money is a drop in the ocean for them

They won’t be looking to generate money for the first 4 years

They need/want to attract all the best players but there will always be a key element missing - ranking points , the points that enable players to gain entry into the majors/Ryder cup etc

Without those ranking points they can’t get into The Masters or The USPGA and for the two Opens they will need to qualify via local qualifying and then final qualifying etc

And regardless of what money is thrown - those 4/5 events are the pinnacle of the sport - being given £100mil won’t enable them to enter a major

It’s all just like the Kerry Packer WSC - someone else who wanted to change things and threw money at it - lasted 2 years
Lasted two years because he then won the TV rights.

AussieKB

Visit site
Great to see that Phil Mickelson after having “time to reflect“ during his absence from golf, is now back and presumably “the man he wants to be”……considerably richer and just as hypocritical. At least if anyone had any doubts about his morals and sincerity they can now be banished.
Agree with that, just like Rory Tiger etc all playing in China and Saudi, but does that make them hypocrites ?

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Agree with that, just like Rory Tiger etc all playing in China and Saudi, but does that make them hypocrites ?
To an extent yes.
Just looked at the parking arrangements and Guest Information on the LIV site. 15 minute shuttle bus ride and plenty of restrictions, especially bags, on what you can take into the event. Not sure how ‘Golf but louder’ will be any different to a tour event when the only noise encouraged is cheering?

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Although I've been a Niblicks fan for as long as I can remember, the patriotic side of me wants to support the Majesticks. I wonder if I can get a half and half scarf...
1654688299119.png

Last edited: