LIV Golf

YandaB

Visit site
A golfer can, and 99.9% most likely does, criticise human rights issues in Saudi Arabia. I'm sure eve
Indeed it is. Which is easy when the field is spread out, players at different stages of their round, etc. However, everyone will be at the same stage of their round. When teeing off their 1st hole, everyone will be. So, they will need to be selective which few players they choose to show (easy enough with few big names in 1st field). However, never known a situation were 2, 3, 4, etc players could be potentially sinking the winning putt simultaneously. Who do they show live, who pre recorded? When we watch the live one, will we hear a huge roar on another part of the course? We get that a little at various stages of a round now, but it is likely to get a bit overbearing with a shotgun start.
Lots of split screen shots showing multiple things simultaneously perhaps?

D

Deleted member 1418

I don't know the holes at Centurion so let's imagine it's being played at Augusta.

Any half decent tour pro needing a par at 17 to take the cash is going to be laughing.

But someone from the Asian Tour ranked 600 in the world might struggle ?

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 21445

Not really read this thread but for me there is no stopping this Liv Golf Tour Juggernaut, more top players are going to switch and that will bring a tipping point for the top players still left on the PGA tour.
It's only my opinion but I see a situation within 2 years (probably less) where most top players are on the LIV Tour and play the majors as Extra events.
The majors can't be majors without the major players so I don't see them being banned from playing in them if the above happens.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
I would imagine the goal in time is to have the top players in, and everyone else jockeying to be included.

I was thinking, I wouldn't mind if only the majors were 72 hole tournaments - separate them with the history & prestige. They've been struggling to match the prize money already, before the extra ? arrived.

No evidence, but I felt the majors have had an uncomfortable relationship with PGA Tour for a while.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
You had to sign up to that , to a rubbish provider who couldn't cope

YouTube already shows sports for free, can handle it and people know it
It can. But it isnt the ease with which people can or will watch golf on Youtube that is the point here - it is the fact that LIV has had to resort to it for want of more mainstream platform. It would have preferred to have sold the rights to its tournaments to transmitters around the world. But clearly couldnt. So have had to give it away on the crowded platform competing with pop songs and piano-playing cats. No sports (yes, I use the term loosely in relation to LIV), voluntarily chooses youtube. It like people 'publishing' and selling their book as a pdf only on Amazon.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Not really read this thread but for me there is no stopping this Liv Golf Tour Juggernaut, more top players are going to switch and that will bring a tipping point for the top players still left on the PGA tour.
It's only my opinion but I see a situation within 2 years (probably less) where most top players are on the LIV Tour and play the majors as Extra events.
The majors can't be majors without the major players so I don't see them being banned from playing in them if the above happens.

If everyone moves that would be great. What matters is having an open field so that the best are clearly known and compete against each other. Where everyone looses is if there is a divide. At the moment, the PGA still looks like the serious tour for serious golfers. LIV the knockabout x-factor wannabe in the same basket as cliff diving and aeroplane acrobatic 'sports'. But maybe if they did rope in all the golfers that matter, they would drop the teams and 54 hole nonsense etc. Without world rankings points, no one will take it seriously. And there cant be two world rankings lists.

Also. Torn over my initial feeling the Crushers were my team. Feeling I might jump ship to Punch, purely based on the big star drawing power that Wade Ormsby brings.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I’m not so sure - more likely to trigger a bit of reform of the pga tour and then LIV being supplementary or failing altogether.

As it stands it’s mostly players with nothing to lose joining to fill their boots with cash.

Maybe there is room for both though? IPL in cricket (and then all the other T20 super leagues) has managed to reform things without killing what was already there, maybe this could do the same?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The thing is, now that we can all get our team's gear, will wearing a Punch shirt be allowed when I am on the course, or banned like a football one ? Is wearing a Cleeks baseball cap backwards OK ? Difficult times ahead for dress code committees.

D

Deleted member 15344

I don't watch golf, I don't and wont pay to watch subscription Tv.

I am the new audience, and there are potentially millions more like me.
You don't count. You don't fit the pre determined agenda of the question

Is this not all about “growing the game” and bringing a new audience to the game ?

Expanding the sport to areas not seen before ?

The sport desperately needing new people ?

You are both golfers - you watch golf , you play golf - how is it growing the game ?

what new people will it bring to the game - you two are not the new audience - you are already in the sport

And just because it’s not on a subscription channel doesn’t mean it’s suddenly hugely accessible to people - there are still many people out there that don’t have tellys that connect to you tube , don’t have broadband at a level that makes streaming work , don’t want to sit in front of a PC watching something

The biggest loss for golf was losing the majors ( mainly the Open ) from terrestrial Telly - the viewing numbers dropped dramatically, and even now the highlight shows get more viewers than the main shows on sky

But people watch them because they are the pinnacle events of the sport , the events with all the best players in it , the ones that crown the best golfers in the world

How many “new” audience do you really think are going to tune into YouTube on a Thursday during the day to watch some unknowns and the odd old stager play golf ?

Some may tune it because it’s a bit car crash and embarrassing and even the crowds at the event will mainly all be freebies now because they just can’t sell any tickets

It’s all very similar to the Kerry Packer WSC - it may well force the PGA to make some changes but ultimately it’s going to fail

Swango1980

Visit site
Is this not all about “growing the game” and bringing a new audience to the game ?

Expanding the sport to areas not seen before ?

The sport desperately needing new people ?

You are both golfers - you watch golf , you play golf - how is it growing the game ?

what new people will it bring to the game - you two are not the new audience - you are already in the sport

And just because it’s not on a subscription channel doesn’t mean it’s suddenly hugely accessible to people - there are still many people out there that don’t have tellys that connect to you tube , don’t have broadband at a level that makes streaming work , don’t want to sit in front of a PC watching something

The biggest loss for golf was losing the majors ( mainly the Open ) from terrestrial Telly - the viewing numbers dropped dramatically, and even now the highlight shows get more viewers than the main shows on sky

But people watch them because they are the pinnacle events of the sport , the events with all the best players in it , the ones that crown the best golfers in the world

How many “new” audience do you really think are going to tune into YouTube on a Thursday during the day to watch some unknowns and the odd old stager play golf ?

Some may tune it because it’s a bit car crash and embarrassing and even the crowds at the event will mainly all be freebies now because they just can’t sell any tickets

It’s all very similar to the Kerry Packer WSC - it may well force the PGA to make some changes but ultimately it’s going to fail
Maybe it will fail, but some of your views seem really outdated.

We live in a different world than we did 2 or 3 decades ago. As I said, we had limited channels, most of us no more than 4 or 5. We didn't have decent ways to record TV, nor any streaming services. So, watching TV was an event. We'd buy the Radio Times, highlight any movies or programmes we'd wanna watch during the week, then schedule our lives around that. I'd make a point of staying in for Friends and Frasier Friday night, Baywatch, Gladiators and MOTD Saturday. Things like It'll be All Right on the Night, Strike It Lucky, etc all got big viewing figures. Cos they were on prime time, and that is what most people did. During day, when TV was crap kids and adults would go out and do stuff, belong to a club of some sort, some of who would choose a golf club.

Life isn't like that now. No one cares when something is on TV. They can use Catch Up, or go on Netflix. We are also swamped with programs, that fewer and fewer become a must watch. Back.in the day, You've Been Framed was huge. If it was on today, no one would really care. Video Games have grown massively in popularity. People spend hours on smart phones playing Candy Crush, surfing facebook or going on forums to tell everyone their opinions. People don't have the time to join clubs, and hang about their premises all day like they used to. Too many other distractions. Not just golf. Where I'm from the yacht club is not like it was when I grew up.in the 80's, and I'm sure others have similar experiences in many club / sport types they grew up with.

So, golf being on terrestrial TV is not going to bring back the sort of viewing figures you seem to.be talking about from the good old days. I wouldn't be surprised if people who regularly watch terrestrial TV has fallen by more than 75%. Sky works in the sense that anyone who specifically is interested in the sport will subscribe, and then Sky can invest a lot of money to try and enhance and innovate the viewing experience.

However, the fact that LIV tour is on youtube will bring in a new audience compared to the current viewers we have. There are plenty of golfers out there that DON'T have Sky. So, suddenly all those people, who.already have an interest in playing the game will now be able to watch it. Also, depending on how well it is advertised, you could well have kids wasting their day on youtube, clicking on the link and then actually quite enjoying it.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I’m very unsure of the business model here.
Throwing zillions of $ around attracting players in needs to be turned into a huge positive cash flow, otherwise it is unsustainable, even with the riches of the Saudi’s.

Revenue comes from
1 bums on seats
2 merchandising
3 advertising
4 TV revenue including internet, YouTube etc

I’m not seeing anywhere near enough money being generated to make it work.

Just me with my old Bank Manager hat on ?

Swango1980

Visit site
I’m very unsure of the business model here.
Throwing zillions of $ around attracting players in needs to be turned into a huge positive cash flow, otherwise it is unsustainable, even with the riches of the Saudi’s.

Revenue comes from
1 bums on seats
2 merchandising
3 advertising
4 TV revenue including internet, YouTube etc

I’m not seeing anywhere near enough money being generated to make it work.

Just me with my old Bank Manager hat on ?
It is definitely not sustainable. However, if they can throw the cash at it for long enough, they can hope in that time the money attract all the biggest players, the format can be refined and improved and the fans will start to enjoy it. If it works, the big broadcasting companies will want to invest in it and they will hope to get global sponsorship.

Once they do, and it becomes established, as I said in an earlier post, then it would be interesting to see what happens between this and the might of the PGA Tour. By that time the PGA Tour could look very different. LIV could have attracted a lot of interest from huge economies like China.

It takes money to get pretty much anywhere in this world, and this is in full focus here. Question is, how long will this funding take to build up enough momentum? Not sure if it is similar to the Chelsea football club situation? Rich Russian buys club and throws money at them. Unsustainable. But, by doing so he builds the brand so that when he stops throwing his billions at them, they are still hugely more valuable than when he joined and started splashing that cash.